Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Diabetes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2014, 12:04 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Fauxfrau
I don't know where to start

I am type 2 Diabetic. For years all doctors have told me to lose weight but not really how to do it! They always say don't go below 1,200 calories! What would you suggest I do as far as carbs go? Do you count carbs? If so how many! I am trying to go lower carbs and have lost 10 pounds but I am confused as to what I am doing with carbs! Any help would be appreciated!
Fauxfrau is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2014, 01:18 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jrw85705
My first suggestion is to get some books that can help you plan and understand eating low carb. The first is Dr. Richard Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. I recommend this book to everyone I know who has diabetes. I can honestly say it changed my life and probably saved it. He spells out exactly what to do and why you should do it. He pulls no punches with his advise but tells it exactly as he sees it.

Another one is Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes. It isn't a low carb diet book per se but it can help you understand exactly what carbs do when we eat them. It is much easier to read than his first book, Good Calorie, Bad Calorie.

And come here with any questions you might have. The odds are someone here will have had the same question at some time. Knowledge is power.

Good luck on taking control of you diabetes.
Denis Waitley
Jrw85705 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:24 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Thank you so much! I will check into that! Looks like you did a great job!
Old 01-26-2014, 07:19 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shebasmudder
Stats: 230/207/160
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 1/15/14
I agree with jrw's reading list. You don't necessarily have to count carbs.

The best thing to do is test. You should test 2 hours after you eat to see if what you ate is fine for you. You may find that you can eat oatmeal, bananas or peanut butter without your blood sugar spiking.

You sound like you are off to a great start with your weight loss.
shebasmudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:44 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauxfrau View Post
I am type 2 Diabetic. For years all doctors have told me to lose weight but not really how to do it! They always say don't go below 1,200 calories! What would you suggest I do as far as carbs go? Do you count carbs? If so how many! I am trying to go lower carbs and have lost 10 pounds but I am confused as to what I am doing with carbs! Any help would be appreciated!
Get Dr. Bernstein's "Diabetes Solution". His book explains why it's not just about carbs (although they're important) when it comes to controlling your blood sugar.

He recommends no more than 25gm of carbs per day - 5 at breakfast (cuz even eggs have carbs), and 10 at lunch and again at dinner. Carbs only from non-starchy vegies.

He also says to watch your protein because excess protein can cause your blood sugar to go up. He recommends 1-1.5gm of protein per kilo of ideal weight. I stick to about 63gm per day.

I do watch my calories as I am a 5'3" post menopause woman and calories make a difference in whether I lose, maintain or gain. While losing weight, I was eating around 1100-1200 calories. Now, to maintain my 140 lbs, I eat around 1500-1600.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:37 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Thank you all! I have ordered the book and it should be here in a few days!