Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Diabetes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2014, 11:11 AM   #31
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sarahkitty
It's like it's hiding in shame!
I remember yesterday - it preached fruit juice is ok, as well as grains,pasta,etc., being the most important intake of the day. ??
If I ate all the servings expected on the chart I would burst into flames, forget about the diabetes.
I would love nothing more than to sit down to a serving of white rice and some beans, lol, but my sugar goes crazy at the mere sight of rice.
I cannot believe anyone could follow this diet without harmful results.
Sarahkitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2014, 11:25 AM   #32
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sarahkitty
[QUOTE=Ronnie51;16789598]The link worked and I'm amazed. Here is an excerpt from the ADA Diabetes Food Pyramid :

Under this plan, 60 to 70 percent of your total daily calories should come from grains, beans, and starchy vegetables, with the rest being meat, cheese, fish and other proteins. Fats, oils, and sweets should be used sparingly:

"60 to 70 percent of your TOTAL daily calories should come from grains,beans, and STARCHY vegetables. "

Did they write that with a straight face? If 500 BS is acceptable, maybe. According to everything I've ever read that's total b.s. Aren't we supposed to eschew grains as much as possible -Pasta should be one of your main foods?
Sarahkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:14 PM   #33
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: pawleys14
Stats: 305/277.8/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarting August 11, 2013
I had a nutritionist tell me to eat 120 carbs a day.... I just smiled and nodded - what a crock... no way I would get my weight or sugar down with eating that many carbs a day.... what are these people thinking... oh yes,,,, they want us on our meds forever.....
pawleys14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:46 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ronnie51
As a carb sensitive person who is trying not to develop diabetes, if I ate that many carbs per day, my A1c would go into the 6+ range. I wish they would get a clue.
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:34 AM   #35
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ksmooth84
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoknew View Post
I love my doc! She told me my diabetes classes were $800 and no insurance coverage, but she felt I was smart enough to handle it on my own! My A1C went from 10.7 to 5.3 in 9 months of low carb. I average(d) 30 carbs per day. I do not do sugar, corn syrups, beans, grains, etc. I do eat low carb bread products on occasion, and that helps. Fortunately, she is not a big supporter of the diabetes diet being paraded around as good for us. She has even asked me (I've lost about 100 lbs on low carb) for advice, recipes, suggestions on how I've done it and stuck with it.

Best to all of us fighting against the current! I figure if the salmon can do it, by golly, I can, too!
Wow!!That is great. I have been a Diabetic since 2007. Have been on meds far too long. I would love to get up in the morning and not have to worry about my how high my sugar level is. Also, I need to lose 50 lbs. I am at 180 now and will be 49 in Aug. So, I would love to find out how you did it. Thank you.
ksmooth84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:54 PM   #36
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DABG
Stats: S:184, C: 164, G: 145
WOE: LC, IF, RS
Start Date: RS: 12/ 28/13
there are some really fabulously wise and informative posts in this thread. It's a joy to read these comments and I wish all diabetics could read them.

Like some of the rest of you, I am OFFENDED that these hideous magazines exist. (And yes, there is more than 1 unfortunately!) It makes me sad (and angry) to think of all the innocent people who buy and read these things and BELIEVE the DANGEROUS CRAP in them. And then ruin their health further by believing what is in them!)

Food companies (and the diabetes magazines featuring their advertisements) are not in business to make people healthy--they are in business to sell food, (and make us crave more in the case of grains and sugars and similar undesirable and unhealthful carbs.)

And drug companies are NOT in business to "Cure" anyone of any disease; they are in business to "Treat" people--"Treat" as in we want you to keep on taking our meds and making us rich, and richer. (This is real-life Trick or Treat--patients are tricked into thinking more medicine is the answer and then the Treat is for big pharm in the high profits the companies make from never-endingly selling more and more drugs

The ADA is also in business to promote certain drugs and gets HUGE amounts of money from Big Phar. It is never going to encourage anyone to give up "healthful whole grains," and this stuff is killing people who are naive enough to follow ADA dietetic guidelines.

Many doctors also (unfortunately) buy the misinformation "sold" by the ADA and the drug companies. A local acquaintance with insulin dependent T2 was told by her doc to be sure to eat lots of good whole grains and feel free to have 50 gms of whole grain carbs with her meals. If I ate that way, I'd be DEAD in short order!

When I see someone picking up one of those horrible magazines, I want to run up to them and say. "Don't buy that thing! Get Jenny Ruhl's wonderful and inexpensive "Blood Sugar 101" (or go to her website) or buy Dr Bernstein's book. Or join LCF!!

I've been a lurker here for a long time and the peeps on the LCF board, on this forum, and in this thread know way more than most of the doctors in practice now about how to get, and remain, healthy. But, then of course out in The Real World, there is the SAD. What a Public Health disaster our country is right now!

OK, stepping down from my soapbox...at least for now.
DABG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:59 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dirty Harriet
Stats: 425/179/202 @ 5'7" size 7X/12W/14W age 55 (-246#),
WOE: 40Gm carbs/day (total) + WLS
Start Date: 8/11/2005 lap band; maintaining since 7/4/08!!!
All I can say, is that the ADA and some of the nutritionists and endocrinologists JUST DON'T GET IT.
All I heard was that my problems with diabetes and obesity, were due to not having willpower. BS!!!
Willpower is watching the world eat, while you do NOT partake. I finally got the help I needed as I'd reached 'critical mass'.
If I would have known about LCF, I may not have needed surgery......as I'm following the low carb lifestyle for life, post surgery.
I had the same info provided to me: 75 gm of carbs per meal! I gain weight on 55 grams of carbs per DAY, for cryin' out loud!!
They are out to kill us, I'm telling ya.......

Last edited by Dirty Harriet; 03-24-2014 at 08:09 PM..
Dirty Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote