Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Diabetes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2014, 09:52 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: skeeterlyn
Helping a new diabetic

Hello
I am not diabetic but my husband was just diagnosed as one. He had outpatient surgery last Monday and had complications that sent us to the ER that night. In preparing to do a second surgery, they found that his blood sugar was over 1000 so they had to use insulin to get it down before the surgery. He came home last night and is at about 230 now. We are going to do our "kitchen cleanup" today to purge tempting bad foods for him and grocery shop for better options.
My question for those with experience: How troublesome is it when your partner who is not diabetic eats things that you cannot? I don't want to sabatoge him. Is there anything your partner does that really makes it easy for you? Anything you wish they wouldn't do?
Thanks!

PS any suggestions for quick easy meals that are filling are also appreciated
skeeterlyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2014, 10:13 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jrw85705
I would suggest you get a copy of Dr Berstein's Diabetes Solution. He outlines the best way to handle diabetes with a low carb diet. Since I'm the one with diabetes and do the cooking I just fix what my wife wants and if needed different things for me. Works for us.
Jrw85705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:14 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: haferchamp
Start Date: 12/15/12
I do the cooking and cook for me but throw in for my hubby either pasta, rice, or potatoes and he's happy. I do though ask him to take all his cookies, chips, etc... to his office which he has a drawer full. Bread and bagels in the house don't tempt me like the junk food does.

Good luck, and definitely read Dr. Bersteins book. Knowledge is key!
haferchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:22 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Abb0
I have type 2, and control my bs by low carbing, and have done so for 2 years now,

My main issue with hubby's food is fruit, I don't eat any and he has always nibbled on fruit, usually 2 or 3 bits each day, so annoying - and tempting
Abb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:26 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
They should have done an A1c on him. If they didn't, you need to have it done. He may not be a diabetic at all.

A few months back I was listening to one of the podcasts on emergency room medicine and they were talking about how they're finding very high blood glucose readings on patients that come into the ER even though they are not diabetic. They were talking about readings in the 400 and 500's. 1000 seems like he should've been in a coma with a reading that high.

If he is diabetic, the thing that will help him the most in keeping him on track is the support he receives from his family. My husband not only helped me clean out the pantry, but he eats (at least at home) exactly the way I do.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:46 PM   #6
FLUFF'S FAVORITE BUBBE!!!

Location: What am I doing in this basket and why is it so warm in here????
Gallery: helenback
I'm lucky, like Melody, my husband eats what I do at home. When we are out he eats a bit more of the bad stuff. But there are serious trigger foods for me, that I am not ready to be around.

He doesn't eat potatoes, caramel or oranges in front of me. If we are somewhere where those things are available, he goes in another room to eat them. <3 <3 Those are my 3 "I'm afraid I would kill for those" things. I am pretty set mentally, I don't think they would bother me, but we are both afraid to set off cravings.

Most of the carb-y foods that he likes, I don't so he does have carb stuff in the house, but only ones that I don't like.

I can be powerful or I can be pitiful! I choose powerful!
helenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:41 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Duzzi
WOE: Berstein
I was fortunate to have someone point me to Dr. Richard Berstein's book which I read and it has made all the difference. If he was 1000... 1. I am glad he is alive and 2. he is diabetic. Berstein is heavy OCD but much of it warranted. You can get the older edition cheap if money is a factor. Be well...
Duzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:38 PM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
I have a type 1 diabetic daughter and just made this last night for dinner:

CHEESY CHICKEN BACON CABBAGE CASSEROLE - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes

Only thing I change is instead of the bacon, I use a roll of sausage (Jimmy Dean original, 16 oz). I find it has much more flavor than using the bacon. And it makes a ton (I have a family of 6) and I usually have leftovers. Which my daughter loves for breakfast the next morning. She loves this casserole so much!!!!!

The other casserole I make for her at her request is this one:

Scalloped Ham and Cauliflower

Again, she loves the leftovers for breakfast. This is the meal she requested/I made when she came home from the hospital after being diagnosed as a type 1. These may not be quick and easy, but they are filling and very yummy!!! And when you make enough to have leftovers, they then become quick and easy.

Here is another one that is a favorite:

Betty's Broccoli-Cheese Soup

Oh, and you will have to ask your husband about what he will "tolerate" and won't. My daughter is only 12. She wants to have everything she cannot! She wants the pizza, cupcakes, chocolate, goldfish crackers that all the kids her age are eating. She wants nothing to do with low carb versions of the real deal. So, you pick and choose your battles. You will have to find out what he can tolerate and what you are willing to give up. We know that Doritos cannot be in this house at all. It spikes her blood sugar too high. So my other kids know that when they go out (either to eat or another friends' house) they can eat them there. But not at home. Cheetos are another no-no food for my daughter. You will learn what is good for your DH and what is not real soon. Best of luck to you!!! It can be overwhelming, I know. And also, don't listen to any dietician when they make their recommendations. They have it wrong most of the time.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:12 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jakelilydad
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: Feb 2012
As I see it, the question you need to answer, Skeeterlyn, is How much are you willing to give up? Your husband's health will be greatly helped by eating low carb, and, as you will discover through this site and others that you find, there is a HUGE variety of really delicious foods you can make which are low carb and won't spike his blood glucose. There are, however, some things that are out, for example: grains. So the question is whether you would be willing to give up eating rice in front of him (or, perhaps, a baked potato) if you know that he couldn't eat it but loved it. I suspect that he would find it easier to stay on plan if you both eat the same foods and banned the bad stuff from the house. Then, if you have cravings for, say, pizza, perhaps you could get your pizza fix when you were out alone with friends.

I would recommend getting a low carb cookbook or two, or even just doing an internet search for Low carb cooking (but beware, some recipes are labeled low carb which really are not), and also look around on the Low Carb Recipe and Help thread on this site, and you will find a lot of great and tasty dishes. I was diagnosed two years ago, and basically had to re-learn how to cook my meals. But my meter readings quickly came down, and I found recipes that I liked, and realized that I was eating really well. When I have dinner parties, I cook food that is "on plan", and have never had anyone complain that it is not good. Which is my long winded way of saying that eating low carb will not cause you any harm, and will do your husband a world of good. Especially in the beginning, he will probably benefit if you both eat the same foods, and you can always go ogg plan when he is not around.
Jakelilydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:00 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Definitely look at the links dawnyama put up. On that site (Linda's Low Carb Recipes) there are Tons of recipes and she uses a star system to rank them. Many of the recipes are from people here at LCF.

I would recommend Not getting any books by the ADA as the recipes will be way too carby.

Last edited by watcher513; 01-23-2014 at 11:01 PM..
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:52 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: GURLIE028
Hi, My name is Nicole I have been diagnosed with diabetes 1 on december 4,2013. So I am learning but its hard and I crave carbs and suger alot any ideas on how to suppress.. Any advice on this diabetes would be apreciated. its a learning process..
GURLIE028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:27 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: haferchamp
Start Date: 12/15/12
Welcome Nicole, I highly suggest getting Dr. Bernsteins "Diabetes Solution". He is a type 1 diabetic and has a wealth of info in his book that will start you on your journey. Good luck to you.
haferchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:58 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Galveston Gal
Stats: 5'0"
WOE: Low Carb/High Fat
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeterlyn View Post

Is there anything your partner does that really makes it easy for you? Anything you wish they wouldn't do?
Thanks!
He keeps his snacks out of sight for me. Out of sight, out of mind!
...however...he loves popcorn...bought himself one of those fancy cart with wheels popcorn makers!!!
I have learned to choose.
What do I want?....out of control blood glucose=headache, feeling lousy....or...
just enjoy the smell and smile! (then go have 3 Cream Cheese Clouds and a cup of hot something or a Diet pop).
One has to learn what works for self...and adapt...
Galveston Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:51 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Hi Nicole. Make sure you are eating adequate amounts of nutrient dense foods so that you are not craving sweets because of physical hunger. Don't worry about calories at this point, and do NOT skimp on fat!

Some people find the supplement L-glutamine really helps with sugar cravings (I haven't tried it myself). And I second the idea of using NO sweeteners (NONE) for a while. You'll begin to be able to taste the natural sweetness of many foods, and when you do go back to using some sweetener you'll find your tolerance for sweet foods very low--that's a good thing!
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:12 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jakelilydad
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by watcher513 View Post
I would recommend Not getting any books by the ADA as the recipes will be way too carby.
I couldn't agree more. I made the mistake of buying a big (read expensive) ADA cookbook, and it is serving as an expensive doorstop. Skip the drugstore/grocery store diabetic cooking magazines, too, for the same reason.
Jakelilydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:17 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dgcashier
I am diabetic and my husband is not. He eats mostly what I eat, but if he decides to have pizza, he goes to the restaurant by himself and gets what he wants. Some days I 'm able to deal with being around high carb fare and other days....no way!
Most of the time I get salad when we eat out....I love salad.
dgcashier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:15 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GettingToGoal
Stats: 330/330/170
WOE: THM / Low Carb
Start Date: October 2014
My 16-year-old son is a Type 1 diabetic, and I have found a ton of low carb recipes on Pinterest. Through A LOT of trial and error, we know which foods spike his sugar, like pizza and pasta, so we try to limit those foods as much as possible. He only drinks water and the occasional Diet Dr. Pepper and his snacks usually consist of a small pack of fruit snacks, cheese sticks, or graham crackers. When he was first diagnosed, someone gave us a book by Calorie King, which lists the calorie and carb counts of a TON of foods and restaurant foods. We keep a copy at home and one in the car, and they have been a Godsend.
GettingToGoal is offline   Reply With Quote