LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2014, 02:49 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MSN08
Stats: sizes 18/6 calling goal!
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 2012
Worried about my 11 yr old DD

Long story short she is living with family while we work out some issues and before she left she was told based on glucose testing that she is insulin resistant and needs to see a diabetes Dr. well she saw a Dr. where she is staying the other day and that Dr. won't look into this at all because of a fasting finger stick she did that said my DD's blood sugar was normal at 101. The family my DD is living with wont hear anything I have to say about being worried because "I am not a Dr. and the Dr. has said things are great" So DD is eating "healthy" lowfat versions of pizza,cake,chips,cookies,soda and starbucks coffee nearly daily with no regards to the fact that although her blood sugar isn't high her insulin could be and that means it is only a matter of time before her insulin can't keep up the demands and she will develop high sugars/diabetes. (This is what the Dr. she saw before she left explained to me) I can't get the family to understand where I am coming from and they think I am trying to make a big deal out of nothing I feel like I just have to sit back and watch them do this my DD. Before my DD left she was understanding that she needed to watch her sugars and was feeling good doing l/c and now the family has told her she doesnt need to worry about it and allowing her to binge on sugar. They just think I am overreacting and are not at all concerned or taking any measures to prevent worsening of blood sugar problems. I don't know what to do. I feel like its going to just escalate until she does develop diabetes and then it will be with a very heavy heart that I say "I told you so and tried to warn you"
MSN08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2014, 02:55 PM   #2
GME
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/204.6/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/LC/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I read other posts about the trouble you have with your daughter. I imagine this must be difficult. How long until she can come home?

Maybe the doctor she saw when she was with you could contact the new doctor.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:23 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
I read other posts about the trouble you have with your daughter. I imagine this must be difficult. How long until she can come home?

Maybe the doctor she saw when she was with you could contact the new doctor.
She will be finishing out the school year there and then we will have a trial period to see if she can come home. Great idea I will ask the Dr here to contact the new one. The dr here keeps sending me letters expressing concern that my DD didn't keep the diabetes dr appointment she had set up for her and that I should take her in. So I think she is concerned enough that she would be willing to educate the new doctor Thanks I am going to call her Monday and see what she can do! It is difficult but I am learning through counseling my part in this behavior and she is learning through her therapy how to better express her feelings and control her rage with medication so we are working hard to get to a better place and be able to live together again.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:34 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aitch
Stats: 200/196/130ish
WOE: Paleo-ish
Start Date: Many moons ago.........
You are still the child's mother so surely the people she is staying with must address your concerns? Could you contact the doctor where she is and demand (politely) further testing?
Aitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:22 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aitch View Post
You are still the child's mother so surely the people she is staying with must address your concerns? Could you contact the doctor where she is and demand (politely) further testing?
I told them before she went to live with them and they said they will wait and see what the Doctor there has to say and now since that Doctor has said there is nothing to worry about my concerns are falling on deaf ears or they think I am trying to scare my DD by educating her on the dangers of eating like she is. The Doctor she is seeing now has the results that say things aren't normal and still insists things are so I doubt further testing would sway her opinion, she is basically like a lot of Doctors and believes in treat not prevent and won't see otherwise. The results show blood sugar at 174 during the test until it says 200 there isn't a problem according to her. I am her Mother but I cannot convince the family to see my side since I am not a Doctor. I am going to see if my DD's Doctor will listen to another Doctor but I am guessing she is set in her ways and teachings and it won't get us anywhere, but I am going to try. Just makes me sick to my stomach when I call and hear they are having this junk all day everyday I can't ignore my fears and be happy or excited that she is having these treats when I know what they could be doing at a cellular level.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:23 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Unfortunately, with your daughter living under someone else's control, there is little you can do. I'm not sure what the relationship is (good, bad, etc.) with the people taking care of her, but it almost sounds like a control thing to me...as in they're going to 'show you' that they're in control and not you. I could be off base here, but...

Any idiot that would tell someone they aren't insulin resistant based on a one time blood stick is...oh wait...an idiot.

Hope things work out for you and your daughter.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:40 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aomiel View Post
Unfortunately, with your daughter living under someone else's control, there is little you can do. I'm not sure what the relationship is (good, bad, etc.) with the people taking care of her, but it almost sounds like a control thing to me...as in they're going to 'show you' that they're in control and not you. I could be off base here, but...

Any idiot that would tell someone they aren't insulin resistant based on a one time blood stick is...oh wait...an idiot.

Hope things work out for you and your daughter.
The relationship is controlling I know the actual insulin testing which tells the bigger picture shows resistance. I am waiting on a call from the Doctor here, to see if she will call my DD's new Doctor. Thanks.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:10 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Unfortunately, Aoimel is correct, while your daughter is under their control you are not going to be able to have much say. you could certainly forward copies of the letters from your doctor to the family and ask your doctor to contact the new doctor as suggested, but beyond that you have to let it go. one off the hardest lessons we ALL have to learn with our kids is that sometimes we have to just step back.

The rage your daughter has may be at least partially due to her blood sugar issues. Use her time away to purge your house of all grains and sugary foods and learn about how to cook meals and plan menus with REAL WHOLE foods (a paleo style low carb diet will do her a world of good--avoid polyunsaturated fats, sugars, grains, and legumes, use pastured and organic foods if you can afford them). When she returns, don't make a big issue out of it. Just provide healthy food for her as a matter of fact. If she requests junky stuff you can just tell her that you don't buy that stuff any more. Try to make breakfast especially tasty as most kids are used to sugary cereals ad syrupy pastries.

Use this time away from her to get creatively healthy--there's something positive you CAN control!
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote