Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2013, 09:25 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Testing Questions

I do not have a history of blood sugar problems, but lately have been noticing some real fatigue after eating a heavy meal, or lots of carbs. I'm not following a low carb WOE, so eating carbs is not something new in my diet. I got a glucometer last night (just a cheap one from the pharmacy) and did some testing this morning. I'm hoping someone can read my numbers and let me know what they think.

I got up and tested at 4:45 a.m., fasted. (I also do JUDDD and had less than 500 calories yesterday if that makes any difference.)

I started breakfast at 6:15 a.m. I had a bagel with cream cheese and coffee. The carbs were 54 grams, but I did read somewhere not to have fat with it and the carbs should be between 60-70 grams, so I'm not sure if that would have lowered my readings. (I'm willing to do it "by the book" tomorrow.)

Fasted reading: 85
1 hour reading: 122
2 hour reading: 90
3 hour reading: 93

Any suggestions for accuracy? Should I test next time I get the sluggish feeling? I think the numbers look pretty good, but I don't have much experience.

Thanks!!

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
July 2014, weight is creeping up: Back to JUDDD.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2013, 12:34 PM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
yes, I would say that's a healthy insulin metabolism and don't worry about it! sluggishness doesn't mean you are having that sort of problem! good luck.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:48 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MSN08
Stats: sizes 18/6 calling goal!
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 2012
Just going by what I have learned from my Doctor I would say you should have your insulin levels checked because you could be producing too much insulin/be insulin resistant even though your blood glucose readings are normal range right now your insulin could be working overtime to keep your levels normal many people have too much insulin for a while before they realize there is a problem since the blood glucose reads normal.That is just what I was told. I hope you figure it out whatever it is going on.
MSN08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:39 PM   #4

Thank you both for the responses. I'm not terribly concerned, but do love to arm myself with as much information as possible (probably more than necessary). I just don't like feeling "off" like that and it seems to be related to food. I just haven't pinpointed exactly what the cause is. It could be a sensitivity to something, too, I suppose.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:08 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: haferchamp
Start Date: 12/15/12
I always feel fatigued after eating wheat products. It usually hits me the next day. I'm drained of energy and just want to sleep. You might try journaling when you feel sluggish and think back to what wheat products you ate the day before. Good luck!
haferchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:39 PM   #6

Thanks. I did a gluten elimination a while back and had no issues when I reintroduced it, but it could surely be something. A journal's a good idea.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:36 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: finallylosing
Stats: 206/135/I think I've reached it!
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2012
I am a type two and in my world the drop from 122 to 90 over the hour would make me very tired. When I found out I was diabetic I tested like crazy for a few months and found I feel best when I have very little variation in my blood sugars. Once I got them almost steady all day, my tiredness went away.
finallylosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:04 PM   #8

What helped you get them steady or steadier? Diet, medication? Thanks!
Old 12-29-2013, 04:26 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Hey Dawn!

Food allergies or intolerances are well worth exploring.

But you may have stumbled on something I just found (sorry this is long).

Before I started losing, I was pretty sure my reaction to carbs meant something was very much not right. But things felt better on LC, and I was deep in JUDDD before I re-introduced carbs. In the book Dr J says ADF can normalize BG just as LC can. We saw that happen on the JUDDD sub-forum several times. Well, as long as my DDs were at or below 500 calories I was able to eat pretty much anything and see my BG stay under 110 (started testing BG about 5 months into JUDDD).

Once I started maintenance I had to raise DD calories (or keep losing). Gradually (oh so slowly) signs of instability started creeping back in. A few months ago it got severe enough for me to realize something was wrong. I hunted for my BG meter and checked my BG an hour after dinner and it was 175.

My family was in the middle of a crisis, so I leaped back into LC and felt stable almost immediately. Over the next few months I tested eating mid-/high-carb periodically and saw some very disturbing (like 275). So, I stayed LC except for the experiments.

Finally made it to the doctor last week. My A1C was 5.9. But, I know a large portion of the last three months I was LC. So, that average is skewed down.

Anyway, I don't want to lose any more (what a strange thing to say) so I kept my low-not-really-fasting DDs and normal UD calorie range. But I went zero carb for a few days. Now I am adding carbs back in and testing. (Oh, this is what my doctor recommended - I get retested in three months.)

And I am back to a stable always under 120, usually under 110. But it is very clear (a) my eating life has changed, (b) JUDDD and/or LC make a huge difference.

Anyway, I wonder if your rotations are impacting your readings?
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:20 AM   #10

Nancy,

That's interesting to consider. I feel fine on down days. Heck I feel fine "most" up days, and after most meals. In the grand scheme of things, I'm probably lower carb than the SAD, but not low carb by any low carb WOE standards. I was thinking about when I reacted the other day (Christmas day) and I had eaten a LOT more protein than I normally do. I've been staying near 75 grams of protein per day (average) and that day I had 181 grams, the bulk of it at lunch. I also had dessert (rice pudding AND chocolate cake!) It was about an hour after lunch that I started feeling bad. I continued to feel badly for another couple of hours. No stomach issues, just totally drained, like I could hibernate for a week.

I believe I've read that excess protein gets converted to glucose. I wonder if that huge amount of protein, plus dessert (which is fairly rare for me) did cause a large swing in my glucose/insulin. Hmmm, I think I'll keep my meter handy and test periodically, and definitely when/if I feel that way again.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:41 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: finallylosing
Stats: 206/135/I think I've reached it!
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
What helped you get them steady or steadier? Diet, medication? Thanks!
Diet did it for me. I started with Bernstein but then went even lower carb and that helped a lot.
Regarding your comment below about protein, you are right, that is a lot of protein and I know when I eat too much my sugars go up as well. This is all a great learning experience and everyone will react a bit differently.
finallylosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:26 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I remember reading that, when the body has more protein than it can use, the ever-helpful liver converts the excess to glucose so it can be burned or stored. I suspect that is an over-simplification (even for me ). But, to the extent of my understanding, it does explain how a protein and fat WOE can be high carb.

Dawn, I think structured BG testing (and keeping a journal) can be very instructive. I wish I could convince DH to check his BG.

For example, I ran out of bone broth and had a pretty much all fat (HWC in coffee) breakfast...and now at lunchtime my BG is 70. No wonder I was feeling tired.

ALSO, if most or all of that 181 grams of protein was turkey, is there a chance an over abundance of serotonin crept in ??

Last edited by gotsomeold; 12-29-2013 at 09:32 AM..
Old 12-29-2013, 12:26 PM   #13
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Dawn-
If you are NOT diabetic, your body will regulate your blood sugar, regardless of what you eat.

My first endo suspected that I might be diabetic but 'masking' it with my low-carb WOE (I am VLC), so she had me do a Glucose Tolerance Test, which shows how the body handles high sugar. I was 'normal.'

However, I have always felt tired after eating sugar--even more so when I was eating the SAD. The same would be true if I had an exceptionally large meal.

I know that this is unrelated to my blood sugar, as my body handles that well. The tired feeling may be due to the excess insulin that my pancreas has to secrete to handle those foods. However, since I no longer eat sugar or starch (or have large meals), I don't worry about that.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
I remember reading that, when the body has more protein than it can use, the ever-helpful liver converts the excess to glucose so it can be burned or stored. I suspect that is an over-simplification (even for me ). But, to the extent of my understanding, it does explain how a protein and fat WOE can be high carb.

Dawn, I think structured BG testing (and keeping a journal) can be very instructive. I wish I could convince DH to check his BG.

For example, I ran out of bone broth and had a pretty much all fat (HWC in coffee) breakfast...and now at lunchtime my BG is 70. No wonder I was feeling tired.

ALSO, if most or all of that 181 grams of protein was turkey, is there a chance an over abundance of serotonin crept in ??
Only a small portion of that was turkey. I also partook heavily of ham and prime rib.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Dawn-
If you are NOT diabetic, your body will regulate your blood sugar, regardless of what you eat.

My first endo suspected that I might be diabetic but 'masking' it with my low-carb WOE (I am VLC), so she had me do a Glucose Tolerance Test, which shows how the body handles high sugar. I was 'normal.'

However, I have always felt tired after eating sugar--even more so when I was eating the SAD. The same would be true if I had an exceptionally large meal.

I know that this is unrelated to my blood sugar, as my body handles that well. The tired feeling may be due to the excess insulin that my pancreas has to secrete to handle those foods. However, since I no longer eat sugar or starch (or have large meals), I don't worry about that.
This is exactly what I'm wondering. And then, since I *do* still eat sugar and white carbs, is it more important for me to be sure? I haven't had a glucose test since I was pregnant with my daughter nearly 10 years ago, so that may be something I want to schedule "just to be safe" at my next physical, or the next time I meet with my Endo for my TD.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:04 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

When I realized something was wrong (cravings, energy highs followed by exhausted lows, feeling internally shaky) my parents and DH and cat were all in the middle of crises. So I kept my bg meter nearby and took notes about what I ate and what happened to my bg 1, 2, and more (I eat a lot of fat) hours afterwards.

When I went to my doctor, I phrased it diplomatically, but basically said "These numbers prove I am diabetic, let's figure out how bad things are and what we need to do about it".

I cannot see anything wrong with cutting out the interim period and going directly to "let's figure this out". By now, you should have your doctor pretty much trained to realize when you say something is not right it is the real deal.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:55 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Dawn,
Your numbers do not indicate that you are having an insulin problem but there's sooo much we still don't know. It may be just that you are sensitive to wheat or to gluten. Have you ever read "Wheat Belly"? It's an eye opener.

My .02...listen to your body. Feeling fatigued after a heavy/big meal is normal because your body has to work harder to process all that food. Eating in moderation would probably solve that problem. If you're fatigued after eating carbs, then cut back some on the carbs. Some people are more sensitive to them even without being diabetic.

If you're concerned, have your doctor do an A1c. That is a far more reliable indicator of your blood glucose than random blood tests with your meter because it will be a snapshot of what you're averaging over the previous 3 months. I disagree with the diabetes 'experts' who think 5.5 is still 'normal'. Non-diabetics (those without the gene for diabetes) rarely run *consistently* above 100 unless there are other medical issues involved. Look for an A1c of 5 or below as a true 'normal'.

Type 2 controlled by low carb diet <25gm carbs and and controlled protein.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:07 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: quietnite
What does A1C of 6.5 indicate?
quietnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:57 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
A A1c of between 5.7 and 6.4 is Pre diabetes when it hits 6.5 you are diabetic.
E.W. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:26 AM   #19

I read wheat belly and agree with a lot of what is laid out in the book. I went gluten free for a period and then did the pulse test when I reintroduced wheat and gluten, and did not react at all, so I'm fairly certain I don't have a sensitivity to wheat. It could be any number of things, or just a weird anomaly that may never happen again.

I am, however, planning to ask for an A1C test at my next physical. I'm not due for one until October, so it won't happen any time soon, but just for my own knowledge. This is all subject to change if I notice an increase in episodes or a more firm "cause and effect."
Old 01-04-2014, 07:16 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ronnie51
There are OTC A1c tests that you can buy at your local drugstore, although I'm not sure how expensive they are. They may not be exact, but they could give you an idea of your A1c.
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:21 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sarahatl
WOE: No Flour No Sugar
Start Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie51 View Post
There are OTC A1c tests that you can buy at your local drugstore, although I'm not sure how expensive they are. They may not be exact, but they could give you an idea of your A1c.
You can get one for $9 at Walmart!
sarahatl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:54 AM   #22

Darn, I was just at Target! I see another trip in my near future. Thanks!
Old 01-06-2014, 06:43 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.W. View Post
A A1c of between 5.7 and 6.4 is Pre diabetes when it hits 6.5 you are diabetic.
I have such a serious problem with this view (not you, EW, but the 'industry' that promote it). 'Normal' people generally run around a 4.8 to 5 A1c because they *consistently* stay under blood sugars of 100. So this idea that you can have *consistent* blood sugars of 104-125 (A1c from 5.1-5.6) and be considered normal seems illogical. Worse, to be considered pre-diabetic (as if you haven't quite reached diabetes yet) when you're *consistently* running blood sugars of 126-151 when those are absolutely too high.

I'd forget about what labels the medical community uses and work on getting blood sugars to as close to normal as possible. I think the reason the diabetes community accepts such high numbers as 'normal' is because they have a difficult time, even with meds, in getting diabetics below 100 (without crashing) because they're still feeding their patients the idea that they should eat 60gm of carbs at each meal.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote