Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Diabetes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2013, 05:56 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lion Heart
blood sugar spike overnight!

I guess this is another common problem from what I've read. So far I've found conventional doctor's answers. I wake up it reads 260. YIKES. I didn't eat anything outrageous for dinner last night. Just now after dinner it's down to 155.

I've read some answers saying "oh this is a common problem, not too much you can do about it." Not buying that answer just yet. Any advice from more seasoned folks would be appreciated!
Lion Heart is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2013, 07:06 PM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
well, first of all, are you on any meds? Metformin is a REALLY good drug, and the sooner you start it, the better and longer it works for you. it decreases insulin resistance and helps a little with weight loss, as opposed to most diabetes treatments that focus on increasing insulin levels.

your liver is releasing glycogen into glucose to get you going for the morning... unfortunately part of being diabetic is that release is often too much for our insulin metabolisms to deal with.

that is WAY too high. ideally, you should never have a reading over 140, even after your largest meal. you can control that somewhat by eating very low carb, but most diabetics need other help. Metformin should be the first step. Talk to your doc about it. you probably have to ease up to the dose you need--it can be hard on the digestive system at first, but it is WORTH getting used to. the first month I took it I felt like I had rocks in my stomach.

if you get up to 2000 mg of Metformin, say 500 breakfast, 500 lunch, 500 dinner, and 500 bedtime, and your levels are still not down enough, you need to add something else to your medication routine. don't be scared of this or avoid it. the damage high blood sugars do is NOT FUNNY. *hug*

good luck
Old 12-07-2013, 07:56 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Thanks Ravenrose. I am new to this board and going to try to figure out how to send a PM...
Old 12-07-2013, 07:59 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Can someone tell me how to send a private message?
Old 12-07-2013, 10:03 PM   #5
FLUFF'S FAVORITE BUBBE!!!

Location: What am I doing in this basket and why is it so warm in here????
Gallery: helenback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Heart View Post
Can someone tell me how to send a private message?
You should be able to click on the person's name (over by their avatar) and it should give you the option to pm them.
helenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:18 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

I am trying but it's only giving me options to view their profile or view more messages by them.?

As far as the Metformin, can anyone tell me, how long should I give this to work? My blood sugar is usually still too high when I check it. I've been on it since the day after Thanksgiving. I was told to take it twice a day 500 mg. each time.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:05 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: girondet
Stats: Maintaining 125-128, 5'5"
WOE: Bernstein/paleo
Start Date: May 2009
I think I read once that you have to have posted a number of times before you can PM anyone (10?)....if so, you are close!
girondet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:29 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cavewoman
WOE: low carb / high fat + intuitive eating
Lion Heart, yes, you have to have a certain amount of posts to be able to PM people. I think it is a way to weed out spammers and trolls.

Regarding your numbers!

I want to second the recommendation for Metformin. My fasting blood glucose numbers, even before bed (so not because of the Dawn Effect), were frequently around 260 when I was first diagnosed. I began taking Met, only 500mg a day, (and I am one of the ones who have no side effects, except for the first day, where my tummy was a tad bit crampy), and it took a very short amount of time for my numbers to stabilise to a more normal range, combined with low carb eating.

Now, my fasting is regularly in the 70s, and my post-prandials rarely above 110.

So take it, it is a great drug!
cavewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:49 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Thanks, I was wondering why everyone else could see the link to PM and I couldn't. LOL

Cavewoman I am taking the Metformin. I am still concerned about my numbers, they're not as stable as I'd like. Still too high in the morning. Usually fine before and after lunch. They are getting better at dinner as I learn what I can and can't eat. But, the overnight spikes are still a problem. Does this get better with time? I take 500 mg twice a day. It has only actually been a couple of weeks, though it seems like a long time.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:40 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jakelilydad
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: Feb 2012
It takes a while for Metformin to work, but hopefully by now your numbers are better. If they are not, perhaps you should talk to your Doctor. I think it took me almost 2 months to get my fasting numbers down to where I like them.
Jakelilydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:40 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Lionhart, what are you eating? You can't rely on medication alone to bring those blood sugars down. You need to be cutting carbs, too.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:32 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
On the number of posts, I believe it's 30 days and 30 posts.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote