Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Diabetes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Catnapper
Would someone explain this?

I ate my breakfast. 2 eggs, fried in butter, 2 slices of bacon, coffee with 1 tbs heavy cream.

My blood sugar went up 50 points.

What did I do wrong?

Thanks.
Catnapper is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2013, 10:00 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Moonchild
Stats: (272 first go around) 219/190/180
WOE: LC
Start Date: restart Sept 02, 2013
It looks like "normal" levels show sugar going up around 50 after meals. :

Pre-meal plasma glucose between 90-130 mg/dL
Post-meal plasma glucose less than 180 mg/dL

So even for a normal reading of 130 before meals .. as long as it is no more than 50 more after eating .. that is normal. ????

Thankfully, I have not noticed mine going up much anymore except for like right now .. while I am sick. I have no idea why it goes up when sick .. unless BP rising also makes sugar rise. ???

Sounds like everything you ate was perfect. Unless .. does your bacon have a LOT of sugar in it? I don't usually worry about the sugar in bacon as long as it is not much because the sugar burns off during the smoking process (or so I read).

Hopefully someone who knows more will be by here soon.

Good luck!

Oh .. I did read just now that HOW MUCH you eat can also make sugar rise .. even if it is not a carby food. Hmmm .. go figure. Thankfully it should lower more quickly though than with a carb induced rising. Right?

Last edited by Moonchild; 11-27-2013 at 10:01 AM..
Moonchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:36 AM   #3

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
oh, blood sugar levels are complicated. Is Catnapper diabetic? if so how bad? what meds does she take? it is impossible to interpret blood sugar numbers with that little info! how long and stringently have you been low carbing? when was the post prandial testing done? typically it's 2 hours after beginning your meal.

having said that, going up 50 points is a lot for not eating carbs like that. imagine how high you go with a "normal" meal! could be 200-300.

as far as what Moonchild says, those are HIGH diabetic numbers. Anyone who uses those standards is going to be getting long term damage. medication should be used if diet and exercise alone can't improve that. that was a standard 25 years ago, maybe, but now they know that EVER going over 140 is a bad thing... and the A1c reading should be under 6, not under 7 which was the old standard for diabetics that some docs still use.

being sick does raise your blood sugar. I used to know why, but I forget. it is just one of the many fancy things the liver does to keep blood sugar at levels the body needs.

I want to stress that doctors are too slow to treat insulin metabolism problems. and you end up like me, 25 years later, with some nerve damage, some kidney damage.... DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU.

The earlier you start Metformin, the better. it works better and longer for you. if you need other drugs, take them. dont go with this, "oh try harder and we will recheck in 6 months" stuff. take the meds and try harder TOO. you can always stop the meds if you no longer need them!

best of luck, both of you and anyone else dealing with high blood sugars
Old 11-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Moonchild
Stats: (272 first go around) 219/190/180
WOE: LC
Start Date: restart Sept 02, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
oh, blood sugar levels are complicated. Is Catnapper diabetic? if so how bad? what meds does she take? it is impossible to interpret blood sugar numbers with that little info! how long and stringently have you been low carbing? when was the post prandial testing done? typically it's 2 hours after beginning your meal.

having said that, going up 50 points is a lot for not eating carbs like that. imagine how high you go with a "normal" meal! could be 200-300.

as far as what Moonchild says, those are HIGH diabetic numbers. Anyone who uses those standards is going to be getting long term damage. medication should be used if diet and exercise alone can't improve that. that was a standard 25 years ago, maybe, but now they know that EVER going over 140 is a bad thing... and the A1c reading should be under 6, not under 7 which was the old standard for diabetics that some docs still use.

being sick does raise your blood sugar. I used to know why, but I forget. it is just one of the many fancy things the liver does to keep blood sugar at levels the body needs.

I want to stress that doctors are too slow to treat insulin metabolism problems. and you end up like me, 25 years later, with some nerve damage, some kidney damage.... DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU.

The earlier you start Metformin, the better. it works better and longer for you. if you need other drugs, take them. dont go with this, "oh try harder and we will recheck in 6 months" stuff. take the meds and try harder TOO. you can always stop the meds if you no longer need them!

best of luck, both of you and anyone else dealing with high blood sugars
See I told you someone smarter than I would come by!

RavenRose, I am not surprised at all that those numbers are off. It seems here in Georgia ALL the numbers are off .. meaning they are using totally outdated numbers for tests. Thyroid tests .. PUH-LEASE .. same thing .. old numbers.
Moonchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:35 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ronnie51
Our doctor is treating my husband's insulin resistance with Metformin even though his fasting sugars are normal or close to normal and his A1c is 5.4. He's basing it on my husband's fasting insulin level which is 15. The lab has this number in the normal range (their "normal" range goes up to 24!), but I've read that fasting insulin should not be in double digits (ideally under 8). So, the labs are showing my husband in normal range but our doctor is treating him for insulin resistance. He's cutting edge, was doing NMR before most people knew what it was. When my husband had hernia surgery, the nurses assumed he was diabetic because he takes Metformin. They looked at us sideways when we told them he's taking it for insulin resistance. While I don't always agree with our doctor, I do agree with him concerning this.
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 06:49 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

I am a 72 year-old woman, diabetic, just quit taking Metformin because of side effects, and recently started eating low carb. Doc previously instructed me on low fat diet. Now without the medication she wants to see me in 2 weeks so she can decide what to do next.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:01 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ronnie51
I am thoroughly convinced that doctors know nothing about proper nutrition, especially for diabetics. Catnapper, eating low carb is the way to go, not low fat. As far as the side effects, my brother is diabetic and has ulcerative colitis and was prescribed Metformin. I was really worried that the Metformin would cause terrible digestive issues because of his colitis. He said it was difficult at first, but after a month, the side effects did go away. How long were you on Metformin before you stopped taking it? Maybe you quit too soon? Also, there is an extended release (Metformin ER) version that I've read is easier on the stomach as you only take it once per day. Maybe that would be better for you.
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:28 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

I have taken Metformin ER for over 6 years. The problem started last year. I stopped it and took other medication for a year and diabetes got worse. Back on Metformin in July, but the problem started again in a couple weeks and soon progressed to be unbearable. I mean explosive uncontrollable diarrhea, dreadful cramps and upset stomach. I stood it as long as I could. I could not leave home and I felt awful all day and during the night too. I took Lomotil to try to stop it, and that made me feel bad too and only worked temporarily. This went on for months. Blood sugar was not good either so the benefit was not worth the distress.
Old 11-28-2013, 03:37 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojocat
Stats: 233/209/180/119 Height 5ft7inch
WOE: LC/Juicing/rxHCG, JUDDD/IF/No S foods
Start Date: 28 Jan 2012
I'm not diabetic but have a strong family history (both parents, siblings, cousins - none who were overweight) and have done a lot of personal research in prevention as a result. A lot of people are worried about having to take Metformin, however if you do some research on it, it actually is quite an amazing med. Been around for years, cheap and backed by a lot of studies. It is said to protect against cancer and a host of other serious diseases, and the effect of taking is similar to that of fasting on the body, without fasting. We now know more as time goes on that fasting has some great effects on health and longevity. One researcher even boldly stated everyone over the age of 40 should be on it. If this med was a new herbal supplement it would be featured on Dr Oz and flying off the shelves for $$$$. As such it's an old med, no patent, cheap and not much money in it for anyone. There is one form of it that doesn't cause the GI issues, can't remember which one, although overeating carby/sugary/starchy foods whilst on it will cause GI issues regardless.

If you can get to the point where you can eat one unit of a trigger food (e.g. white chocolate covered licorice ball) whilst in a craving state, but stop right after, then you are a Jedi master and nothing can stand in your way

"I am what I ate...and I'm frightened"....Bill Cosby
mojocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:27 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
For Type 2's it's hard to say 'why' we get some of the numbers we do. There are so many things that will affect it and just when we think we have the 'why' figured out...it changes.

What I do know for sure is that low fat is not the way to go...but low carb is. You might pick up The Diabetes Solution by Dr. Bernstein but basically he says 1-1.5gm of protein per kilo of ideal weight and less than 25gm of carbs per day and then only from non-starchy vegies. Then give it more than 2 weeks.

As a general rule, doctors know zip about nutrition and tend to spout the same 'ol, same 'ol outdated info that they learned through their reading. Nutrition is not a part of their medical training.

I recently discovered through my reading that Type 2's generally do not reverse their insulin resistance with low carb unless they are following Bernstein's plan which is *very* restrictive in ways that are designed to reverse insulin resistance. Just lowering carbs is not enough...and as long as you have insulin resistance, it will be difficult to get stable, consistent, 'normal' numbers without medication...even doing low carb. Which is why so many diabetics doing low carb are still on medication.

Type 2 controlled by low carb diet <25gm carbs and and controlled protein.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:50 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

I would like to know what you read. I want to get rid of the medications if possible. What is it that is different with low carb and Dr. Bernstein?

Thanks.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:30 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chocolate Rose
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: February 2012
Catnapper, I don't have an answer for you but just wanted to commiserate. I put up with over 14 months of metformin hell. I had the exact same issues as you did from day one. Going to work every day was humiliating. I never knew when it would hit and the bathroom is on the other side of the building from my office. Absolutely no control on metformin. Didn't matter what I ate or IF I ate.
Anyway, I wish I could take metformin.
I now eat LCHF and try to follow Bernstein. I also highly recommend his book.
Chocolate Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:29 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Chocolate Rose, I found an article in the Diabetes Care journal reporting on research done in a diabetes clinic. The research involved Metformin treatment for diabetics and non-diabetic control participants. The study showed that about 20% of people (both groups) had diarrhea problems from the Metformin. Not only that, there was consistent association of incontinence with the diarrhea. (Now, you know everyone would love those 2 side effects together!) The problems resolved generally within 2 to 5 days after stopping taking the Metformin. One woman suffered so from the problem she attempted suicide.

Thanks for commiserating with me. Sounds like we are not alone.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:35 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catnapper View Post
I would like to know what you read. I want to get rid of the medications if possible. What is it that is different with low carb and Dr. Bernstein?

Thanks.
There are only slight differences between low carb (under 50gm per day) and Bernstein (under 25gm per day), but they made a significant difference in my BG numbers.
  • On Bernstein, your carbs are spread out over 3 meals - 5gm at Breakfast, 10 at lunch and 10 at dinner.
  • Carbs can only come from non-starchy vegies and what are 'hidden' in the foods (e.g. eggs and cheese have carbs in them)
  • Protein is limited to 1-1.5gm of protein per kilo of *ideal* weight
  • Meals are eaten at the same time each day and only 3 meals per day...no snacks

On low carb, my protein was almost double because my preferred food is red meat. Now I eat more seafood (but use more fats in sauces, salad dressings, etc. for that meal to make up for the loss of fat in the protein), chicken and eggs. I found that the lower protein (around 63gm per day) made the significant difference in my BG.

Sticking to 3 meals instead of 3 meals plus low carb snacks (eggs, cheese, etc.) mid-meal helped keep my insulin production stable. Bernstein believes this is a major component to reversing insulin resistance because every time we eat, we rev up our broken system.

I highly recommend reading his book "The Diabetes Solution" because there are all sorts of little helpful tidbits. I've read it 4 times and each time I find something I somehow 'missed' the first several times through.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:20 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jakelilydad
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: Feb 2012
I have a question on the protein to ideal weight topic: If my ideal weight is 175, that is 79.5 Kilos (175/2.2), times 1.25g protein is 99.43g, or round to 100g protein per day. If, according to "the Complete Food Counter" one cup of cooked turkey (5 oz) is 40g of protein, does that mean I could eat 12.5 oz of turkey as my day's protein requirement? That seems pretty generous - 3/4 of a pound. Or am I miscalculating something?
Jakelilydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:33 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakelilydad View Post
I have a question on the protein to ideal weight topic: If my ideal weight is 175, that is 79.5 Kilos (175/2.2), times 1.25g protein is 99.43g, or round to 100g protein per day. If, according to "the Complete Food Counter" one cup of cooked turkey (5 oz) is 40g of protein, does that mean I could eat 12.5 oz of turkey as my day's protein requirement? That seems pretty generous - 3/4 of a pound. Or am I miscalculating something?
Yes, at 8.3gm per ounce of roasted turkey, you could eat up to 9.5-14 oz of turkey and still fall within the 79.5-119gms daily allotment. Remember, though, that this is it for the day so if you divide that across three meals, you're looking at a little over 3-4 oz of turkey per meal. Not really generous at all, although certainly enough for a decent meal.