Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Diabetes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/diabetes/)
-   -   November is Diabetic Awareness Month (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/diabetes/816979-november-diabetic-awareness-month.html)

Aomiel 11-13-2013 07:55 AM

November is Diabetic Awareness Month

I posted this on my facebook page along with some basic info. Wow...what a hornet's nest. I never realized how resistant people were to being called 'diabetic' or how so many took the ADA's and their diabetic clinic's word as 'gospel' and *never* do any further reading on their own. :stars:

I have one lady arguing that type 2's need insulin 'just like type 1's' but whereas type 1's don't produce it, type 2's just aren't able to use it and thus are the same as type 1's and insulin is *necessary*. Where to start with people like this? I've tried to explain about Dr. Bernstein but they can't get past the 'your brain needs carbs' or 'that might work for adults' but 'children need the potatoes, pasta, rice, etc.' :sad:

Then there are family members who know their A1c is 5.4, 6.2, etc...and their doctors have told them they are pre-diabetic and just told them to go on a diet and lose some weight and get some exercise. Yeah, cuz that has worked soooo well with diabetics over the last 40 years. :annoyed:

Jrw85705 11-13-2013 02:43 PM

I know you are refering to people being in denial about having diabetes but I never refer to myself as a diabetic but I have diabetes. My signature explains one of the reason but the other is, Dr Bernstein once said if you call a person that has diabetes a diabetic what would you call a person who has hemmorids? It made me laugh.

Aomiel 11-13-2013 03:54 PM

LMAO...:hyst:

helenback 11-13-2013 05:27 PM

LOL!! I forgot he said that!! Too funny!

helenback 11-13-2013 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aomiel (Post 16681605)
I posted this on my facebook page along with some basic info. Wow...what a hornet's nest. I never realized how resistant people were to being called 'diabetic' or how so many took the ADA's and their diabetic clinic's word as 'gospel' and *never* do any further reading on their own. :stars:

I have one lady arguing that type 2's need insulin 'just like type 1's' but whereas type 1's don't produce it, type 2's just aren't able to use it and thus are the same as type 1's and insulin is *necessary*. Where to start with people like this? I've tried to explain about Dr. Bernstein but they can't get past the 'your brain needs carbs' or 'that might work for adults' but 'children need the potatoes, pasta, rice, etc.' :sad:

Then there are family members who know their A1c is 5.4, 6.2, etc...and their doctors have told them they are pre-diabetic and just told them to go on a diet and lose some weight and get some exercise. Yeah, cuz that has worked soooo well with diabetics over the last 40 years. :annoyed:

People drive me insane. I IGNORED all the warning signs instead of acting on them. But I was absorbing what was going on around me. When I got the diagnosis I put it to work.

I told someone the other day. I'm not going to argue with you about this. You may be right, I may be right, but I promise to come see you when you get out of surgery from having that limb removed. pffft! JUST READ PEOPLE!!

Unfortunately, I really don't think it is as much about not reading or being willing to learn. I think that they are addicted to carbs just like any alcoholic is addicted to beer or whatever. They will be in denial until they hit their own personal bottom. I just hope it isn't too late for them when they realize what is going on.

sarahatl 11-14-2013 09:48 AM

Helen....I so agree with you. I think most people are just misinformed because the information out there (ADA) is just so conflicting. I ignored what was going on for me for so long...and it is still hard to say on low carb. I am just like an alcoholic when it comes to carbs..if I had one cookie.....I would kill for 25 more! I am doing this one day at a time and it is working and I fell so much better. Worried about the upcoming holidays though!

Aomiel 11-14-2013 10:42 AM

Helen, yep. I'm finding the same thing. Some woman asked me how I went from an A1c of over 13 to 4.9 in 7 months and I told her about Bernstein. Keeping in mind she's already showing signs of diabetic neuropathy (already has numbness in toes, little sores that won't heal on her body, vision changes, etc.), I was shocked when she said (and this is an actual quote), "Oh I could never give up my 2 donuts and latte on my way to work in the morning. I'll just keep taking extra insulin." Because that's working so well for her so far. :stars:

So I was pretty blunt (because she did put it out there) and said, "So, basically what you're saying is that you're willing to trade of your foot, leg, vision or some other body part for 2 donuts and a latte?" She actually said that quality of life is important and she'd be miserable if she had to give up her goodies.

Good grief and the quality of her life isn't going to drastically decrease when she loses a limb or goes blind...or has a stroke, etc.? I need a little emoticon that has its head banging on the wall.

helenback 11-14-2013 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aomiel (Post 16683287)
Helen, yep. I'm finding the same thing. Some woman asked me how I went from an A1c of over 13 to 4.9 in 7 months and I told her about Bernstein. Keeping in mind she's already showing signs of diabetic neuropathy (already has numbness in toes, little sores that won't heal on her body, vision changes, etc.), I was shocked when she said (and this is an actual quote), "Oh I could never give up my 2 donuts and latte on my way to work in the morning. I'll just keep taking extra insulin." Because that's working so well for her so far. :stars:

So I was pretty blunt (because she did put it out there) and said, "So, basically what you're saying is that you're willing to trade of your foot, leg, vision or some other body part for 2 donuts and a latte?" She actually said that quality of life is important and she'd be miserable if she had to give up her goodies.

Good grief and the quality of her life isn't going to drastically decrease when she loses a limb or goes blind...or has a stroke, etc.? I need a little emoticon that has its head banging on the wall.

OMG!! WTH does she think the quality of her life will be like if she loses limbs, sight etc...... omg! And there are way more people like her than there are like us! pffft! But as long as Drs keep telling us well a little bit won't hurt you.. ... well, you know! lol

Shouldn't our goal to be to put off insulin as long as possible! My head just exploded! oy vey!

helenback 11-14-2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahatl (Post 16683227)
Helen....I so agree with you. I think most people are just misinformed because the information out there (ADA) is just so conflicting. I ignored what was going on for me for so long...and it is still hard to say on low carb. I am just like an alcoholic when it comes to carbs..if I had one cookie.....I would kill for 25 more! I am doing this one day at a time and it is working and I fell so much better. Worried about the upcoming holidays though!

Good for you! One day at a time is all we can ask of ourselves. I really am a carboholic too! oy! I am terrified that if I ever eat a potato, I will never stop. I really am worried about the holidays too.

For t-day I should be okay, because we are having diabetic friendly food and daughters and I are cooking so it will actually be GOOD for a diabetic foods.. not what the ada says.. lol

But all those parties, etc... that scares me.. biiiiiiig time. I told hubby that I am going to eat before we go to any parties and I will bring dishes that I know are safe. Because wth knows what people put in things. When I was a little girl (and lived in the country) we would grow corn, shuck it, boil it and my mother ALWAYS put sugar in that boiling water... face/palm.... sigh...

So.. yep.. I trust no one! lol

Just remember what Dr Bernstein says. "little mistake little response, big mistake.. big response." (I'm paraphrasing that isn't exact wording). So we just have to try to do our very best and only make small mistakes not huge ones.. I know that if I had one single bite of my dressing I would kill everyone in the room who tried to touch it, grab a spoon and eat it all myself! lol So I can't have any because that would def. end up being HUGE MISTAKE WITH HUGE RESPONSE...