Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Diabetes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2013, 03:07 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member
 
luvmybabyhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Dixie
Posts: 556
Gallery: luvmybabyhead
Stats: 342/288/275 (2nd goal)
WOE: LC/HF
Start Date: 7/17/13
Diabetics and "cheat meals"

My DH is going to make me kill him! He's LC and miserable...but his sugar is down to almost normal levels as well as his weight (slightly). He's been a total bear but this week has been a little less cranky due to just blindly eating the decent LC meals I've given him. They've been strict induction and he hasn't been cheating, and has been getting much more sleep.

Well now he's got it in this head that a weekly cheat meal or day will make him happier and more motivated to eat well with the cheat meal as a reward of sorts. Do any of you do this with success and still have decent glucose control?

It sounds like a horrible idea to me! I am so ticked off. He'd freak if I was cheating (I have increasingly severe hypoglycemia and a gluten allergy) but he thinks one or two carby meals will keep him lower carb the rest of the time. Won't it just be harder to stay on track AND damage his body because of the resulting high glucose?
__________________
Hello! I'm Shannon. Nice to meet you.
luvmybabyhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2013, 07:12 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4
Gallery: bluenote
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmybabyhead View Post
My DH is going to make me kill him! He's LC and miserable...but his sugar is down to almost normal levels as well as his weight (slightly). He's been a total bear but this week has been a little less cranky due to just blindly eating the decent LC meals I've given him. They've been strict induction and he hasn't been cheating, and has been getting much more sleep.

Well now he's got it in this head that a weekly cheat meal or day will make him happier and more motivated to eat well with the cheat meal as a reward of sorts. Do any of you do this with success and still have decent glucose control?

It sounds like a horrible idea to me! I am so ticked off. He'd freak if I was cheating (I have increasingly severe hypoglycemia and a gluten allergy) but he thinks one or two carby meals will keep him lower carb the rest of the time. Won't it just be harder to stay on track AND damage his body because of the resulting high glucose?
Although everyone is different, this always ends in tears for me and I've observed it go bad many times.
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:43 PM   #3
.
 
ravenrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: California
Posts: 9,670
Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
it really is a bad idea for so many reasons. sorry I don't have time to get into it, I hope someone will take that on!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:36 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!
 
Aomiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,569
Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
If he wasn't diabetic and this was about weight, I'd say 'go for it' if he could handle it BUT it is not. Personally, I've found there's no better teacher than experience. I'd let him do it and learn for himself. You need to let him take control, and responsibility, of his own behavior.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:30 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member
 
SitLongTalkMuch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Appalachia
Posts: 37
Gallery: SitLongTalkMuch
Stats: 164.8/134.2/???
WOE: Atkins 1972
Start Date: 02/21/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aomiel View Post
If he wasn't diabetic and this was about weight, I'd say 'go for it' if he could handle it BUT it is not. Personally, I've found there's no better teacher than experience. I'd let him do it and learn for himself. You need to let him take control, and responsibility, of his own behavior.
I agree with this approach. It took me several "cheats" to realize I just cannot have carbs without being incredibly sick with meltdowns, tears and chaos. I actually have no desire whatsoever for carby food it is like my body now realizes it is poison. I hope I continue to feel this way.
SitLongTalkMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:36 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!
 
Kismet311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 1,990
Gallery: Kismet311
Stats: 161/131/127
WOE: TOPS/Juddd
Does he take any medication? My husband is diabetic and takes Metformin so I don't know if this will help...
He does eat pretty low carb for the most part and checks his sugar all day long. If he has a cheat item/meal he will do some sort of excersise right after (at work he will climb flights of stairs or at home he will take a walk or go on the stationary bike). This is the only way he can have the items he wants. If he were to sit around on the couch after eating that stuff he would probably act like what you're describing. Can he ask his doctor about it before he tries the "cheat meal"??
__________________
"The mind is everything. What you think, you become". -Buddha
Kismet311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:19 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 883
Gallery: Ronnie51
It seems to me that the ADA's recommended diet for diabetics involves constantly cheating as it allows for quite a few carbs per day, which people-in-the know are saying is bad bad bad. I'm so tired of reading how diabetics can "eat everything" in moderation. But to really stay healthy and to not crave bad carbs, I believe you really have to stay away from them. There are so many recipes at this site for low carb substitutes, there isn't much reason to cheat anyway. I don't have diabetes, but I am carb sensitive so I've totally cut out pasta, potatoes, rice, crackers, cereal and rarely eat bread which has made a difference in my A1c. At first it was VERY difficult, but it does become easier with time. Sorry for this long winded answer to say, cheat meals are not really a good idea. Doing so will only keep him craving the bad stuff. I hope you can convince him of that.
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:08 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 227
Gallery: Jrw85705
I certainly not speak for anyone but myself and from the experience of my friends who have done, or tried to do, low carb. So from that perspective I would say a cheat meal would be disastrous for me. I know if I simply overeat allowable low carb food my blood glucose numbers go up.

I had a good friend go low carb but he insisted he could have a cheat meal each weekend. Long story short he ended up gaining and never got rid of the carb cravings. There are members here who have written that a single cheat meal can set them back by weeks.

So if you are eating low carb for diabetes and weight loss, which I have been doing for almost 3 years, a cheat meal would be like a double whammy to the program.

Only he can decide what works for him and there are many who simply can't do it. I wish him well because all of us here on the forum know just how difficult it can be.
__________________
________________________________
Ralph
"Don't dwell on what went wrong. Instead, focus on what to do next. Spend your energies on moving forward toward finding the answer."
Denis Waitley
Jrw85705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:41 PM   #9
FLUFF'S FAVORITE BUBBE!!!
 
helenback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: What am I doing in this basket and why is it so warm in here????
Posts: 3,290
Gallery: helenback
I'm with Ralph on this one. Tonight my sugar will be a bit elevated because I ate too much. It was a totally low carb meal (I had pork ribs) but I had too much. So there will be some elevation in my b.s. tonight. :/
That being said...


I am still a newbie to diabetes, but for me, here is my theory on cheat meals.

I have diabetes, this is not "just" a low carb diet. This is a fight for not only my limbs but my life.. While I am not crazy enough to think I will never eat something I shouldn't, I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that "weekly" cheat meals would be a slippery slope to amputation.

My body is functioning better because I am not putting poisons in it. Starchy carbs and wheat are poison to my body and my body is responding to not having to deal with those poisons any longer.

Every single time that I low-carb dieted in the last 15 years, ended because I had a cheat day or 2 or 4 and before I knew it, I was out of control yet again.

Now that I have been diagnosed, I can't afford to take that chance. If I hadn't played with fire any one of a zillion times, I probably would never have gotten the diagnosis.

jmho.... and I can't speak for anyone else.

I know how hard this is for both of you, good luck hon!
__________________





I can be powerful or I can be pitiful! I choose powerful!
helenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:48 PM   #10
FLUFF'S FAVORITE BUBBE!!!
 
helenback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: What am I doing in this basket and why is it so warm in here????
Posts: 3,290
Gallery: helenback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie51 View Post
It seems to me that the ADA's recommended diet for diabetics involves constantly cheating as it allows for quite a few carbs per day, which people-in-the know are saying is bad bad bad. I'm so tired of reading how diabetics can "eat everything" in moderation. But to really stay healthy and to not crave bad carbs, I believe you really have to stay away from them. There are so many recipes at this site for low carb substitutes, there isn't much reason to cheat anyway. I don't have diabetes, but I am carb sensitive so I've totally cut out pasta, potatoes, rice, crackers, cereal and rarely eat bread which has made a difference in my A1c. At first it was VERY difficult, but it does become easier with time. Sorry for this long winded answer to say, cheat meals are not really a good idea. Doing so will only keep him craving the bad stuff. I hope you can convince him of that.
Lawd, is this one of my HUGE soapbox issues.

The ADA is nuts in their suggestins. 130 carbs a day??? A normal, healthy person shouldn't eat 130 carbs a day!!

And what the AMA is NOT teaching our medical community is a travesty! It is very few and far between that you will find a medical professional that gets it.

I personally would like to see a HUGE group of diabetics bring a class-action lawsuit to the ADA! Not for monetary reasons, but I think nothing short of the media storm that would cause is going to make the ADA admit that they were wrong. There is NO WAY on earth, they haven't figured that out, but they are willing to let untold thousands of diabetics die each year rather than admit they were wrong! pfffffffffffffft


I have to stop now.. or I will go on for hours about the bad advice given to diabetics.
helenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:41 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Alvarado, TX
Posts: 20
Gallery: purpleducks
Stats: 285/267/165
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 28, 2013
My own experience with cheat days are they totally sabotaged everything..blood sugar skyrocketed, felt terrible. But in spite of those things, cheat days came more often til I was back to my old habits.
I would advice against cheat days. If there is something you are wanting, work at finding an acceptable alternatives.

Both my husband and I are working together on our change, I'm trying to incoroorate a variety of foods as well as experimenting with LC versions of our favs just to help keep him on board with me.

This was his birthday weekend and he was thrilled with his dinner out. Went to a Brazalian restaurant, made 1 trip to the salad bar and got legal veggies. He could eat all the meat he wanted, avoided the cheese rolls and savored a thin slice of grilled pineapple for dessert. I later made him some LC key lime cheese cake. He didn't feel like he'd missed out on anything.
purpleducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:26 PM   #12
FLUFF'S FAVORITE BUBBE!!!
 
helenback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: What am I doing in this basket and why is it so warm in here????
Posts: 3,290
Gallery: helenback
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleducks View Post
My own experience with cheat days are they totally sabotaged everything..blood sugar skyrocketed, felt terrible. But in spite of those things, cheat days came more often til I was back to my old habits.
I would advice against cheat days. If there is something you are wanting, work at finding an acceptable alternatives.

Both my husband and I are working together on our change, I'm trying to incoroorate a variety of foods as well as experimenting with LC versions of our favs just to help keep him on board with me.

This was his birthday weekend and he was thrilled with his dinner out. Went to a Brazalian restaurant, made 1 trip to the salad bar and got legal veggies. He could eat all the meat he wanted, avoided the cheese rolls and savored a thin slice of grilled pineapple for dessert. I later made him some LC key lime cheese cake. He didn't feel like he'd missed out on anything.
It just hit me, y'all went to Texas de Brazil??? LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that place! It is a low-carb slice of heaven!
helenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:54 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Alvarado, TX
Posts: 20
Gallery: purpleducks
Stats: 285/267/165
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 28, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenback View Post
It just hit me, y'all went to Texas de Brazil??? LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that place! It is a low-carb slice of heaven!
We actually went to a mom & pop version in Irving. Vila Brazil. Much cheaper, plus had a groupon.
we love Texas de Brazil though.
purpleducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:29 PM   #14
FLUFF'S FAVORITE BUBBE!!!
 
helenback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: What am I doing in this basket and why is it so warm in here????
Posts: 3,290
Gallery: helenback
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleducks View Post
We actually went to a mom & pop version in Irving. Vila Brazil. Much cheaper, plus had a groupon.
we love Texas de Brazil though.
We'll have to check that one out. Using hubby's email and my email, we get 4 coupons per yr from Texas de Brazil. 1 for each of our b-days and 1 for each of our anniversaries. So we go 4 times a year to TdB. love that place! It is crazy expensive though..
helenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:29 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.