Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Diabetes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/diabetes/)
-   -   Nicotine and high blood sugar! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/diabetes/816012-nicotine-high-blood-sugar.html)

haferchamp 10-26-2013 12:02 AM

Nicotine and high blood sugar!

I was surfing the net tonight about high doses of Niacin and how it raises blood sugar levels when I stumbled across the link for Nicotine and it's effect on blood sugar as well. So off I went down that path and low and behold there were several articles on how the use of long term nicotine replacements raise blood sugars and lead to insulin resistance. Well, wouldn't you know, I've been chewing nicotine gum for the last 4 years since I quit smoking. :mad:

Who would have thought! So now there's another thing I need to give up! :stars:

Liz1959 10-26-2013 05:41 PM

Huh. That's interesting. Have you tested for this effect? I am also wondering if it is the nicotine or maybe other components of the replacement products...
I use electronic cigarettes and hadn't given that a thought.

haferchamp 10-27-2013 03:25 PM

Here is a part of the article. Appears to be the nicotine. :annoyed: I haven't experimented with it yet but have decided to cut my use in half and then wean myself off completely.

"It was already well-established that smoking increased the risk of problems in people with diabetes, Liu said. What hasn't been clear, he said, is if there is a specfic component of cigarettes that increases the risk.

To test whether or not nicotine, an addictive substance found in cigarette smoke, contributed to higher blood sugar levels, Liu and his colleagues added equal amounts of glucose (sugar) to samples of human red blood cells. They also added varying levels of nicotine to each sample of red blood cells for either one day or two days.

They then tested the hemoglobin A1C (HbA1C) levels of the samples. HbA1C is a measure of what percentage of red blood cells have glucose molecules attached to them. In diabetes management, the HbA1C -- sometimes referred to just as A1C -- test gives doctors an idea of average blood sugar levels for the past three months or so. Most people with diabetes strive for a level of 7 percent or less, based on American Diabetes Association guidelines.

The researchers found that nicotine raised HbA1C. The smallest dose increased HbA1C levels by 8.8 percent. The highest dose -- after two days of nicotine treatment -- increased blood sugar levels by 34.5 percent.

"Nicotine is a toxic substance, and our results show that nicotine caused an increase in HbA1C," said Liu. "This is important for the public to know, and for smokers to know. It's not just the cigarette smoke. If you think you can just use a nicotine replacement product indefinitely, there's still a risk, and your chances of getting complications will be a lot higher," he cautioned."

~PaperMoon~ 10-27-2013 04:19 PM

Interesting, I never knew that.