Old 10-22-2013, 08:14 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: br3n
Stats: 278/225/158
WOE: 20-30 carbs per day
Start Date: 09/19/13
Help me understand glucose readings?

Hi all!
I have not been diagnosed diabetic -- in fact, I had blood work done in August and the doc said all was well. I started Atkins mid-September and have lost 19 lbs so far, but 15 of that was in the first 2 weeks alone. Curious as to what was going on inside my body, I had read a few articles about people keeping track of glucose levels just to see how they react to certain foods (like sugar alcohols, for instance) and picked up a meter last night.

To my surprise, my fasting reading was: 132 at 7am
I had zucchini fritters for breakfast at 8 and just did another reading at 10: 101

From what I understand, these are really awful numbers. Should I be concerned or could my LC eating be impacting this figure?

:: My Journal ::

Don't give up what you want most, for what you want right now.
br3n is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2013, 09:25 AM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
any impact low carb eating has will be positive.

that is a high fasting number. are you sure you are using the meter right? there are some youtube videos that can be helpful...

is the reading that high every morning? you need more than one reading of course.

It's true that what you have seen suggests an impaired insulin metabolism I would call diabetes. I don't think the docs do you any favors postponing a formal diagnosis. That is a holdover from the day when there was little you could do. Now, getting on Metformin as early as possible is the thing to do. It works better and longer for you the earlier you start it. and it helps with weight loss even if you are not formally "diabetic." You should probably do some more testing and then talk to your doctor about it.

chances are you just got a random glucose before and that is how the doc said "just fine" right? they should run an A1c test to see how you are doing overall as well.

as to seeing how sugar alcohols affect you, this won't work. your body squirts out whatever insulin is needed to cover the carbs, whether real sugar or sugar alcohols, so you can't tell whether the reading is ok because your body did not react to the sugar alcohols or because your insulin covered it. the only thing you can tell is if your insulin is not working.

best of luck with everythign!
Old 10-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: br3n
Stats: 278/225/158
WOE: 20-30 carbs per day
Start Date: 09/19/13
Thanks for the information! I was just shocked to see that 132 = diabetes, I was not expecting that by a long shot. I'll record numbers across a week and see a Dr. if it's still high.
br3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:41 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
Or you could buy an A1c home test they arn't very expensive. By the way if your Dr. makes you do a glucose tollerence test you MUST go off low carb for a few days before
the test. If you don't the results are useless.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:01 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: emilyb
Also, make sure your hands are really clean and dry before you prick your finger and only tough the drop of blood not your finger.
I occasionally have higher morning BS but my doctor is aware and said that happens on occasion. If you notice a trend that is worth mentioning.
emilyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:19 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
And keep in mind that the meters have an error factor of +/- 20. If I get a reading that I think is questionably high, I'll take it again immediately. Scary how many times I'll get two totally different readings. Can't even imagin what people do who use insulin to their meter readings.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote