Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Diabetes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2013, 11:08 PM   #1
FLUFF'S FAVORITE BUBBE!!!

Location: What am I doing in this basket and why is it so warm in here????
Gallery: helenback
Been diabetic for a while?? How do you handle holidays?

This will be my first thanksgiving/holiday season since diagnosis.

I'm normally the one who makes the dressing, because I must say, mine is the very best! lol However, I sure don't want to mess myself up.

I have a little side menu set aside for my eating... but ......

just curious, how do you handle the holidays? Have you converted recipes to low carb?

This is no longer about "blowing my lowcarb" diet, it is about eating healthy and beating this devil called diabetes. I will admit it is a whole new process for me, but man I am happy with myself and my choices.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and ideas!
hagw e1

I can be powerful or I can be pitiful! I choose powerful!
helenback is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2013, 07:31 AM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
know thyself.

if you can stick to low carb, that is the best, of course!

and yes, I have made entire Thanksgiving meals very low carb, but it takes a lot of doing. (if you eat soy, a great addition to stuffing is tofu which you have frozen and then squeezed dry and cubed)

but as you go through life as a diabetic, if you find you sometimes DON'T stick to your plan and eat a lot of carbs anyway, insulin is a great way to handle them! it is not as healthy as not eating them in the first place, but a LOT healthier than just letting your blood sugar skyrocket.

insulin pens are very easy to use and don't hurt nearly as much as testing your blood sugar does. I recommend having a pen of fast acting insulin like Humalog around for people who slip up sometimes.

best of luck not needing it though. *s*
Old 10-21-2013, 07:40 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Helen,
This will be my first Thanksgiving being compliant with my diabetic needs and I, too, make the stuffing to take to my mil's. My plan is to stick to my WOE even for the holiday since I know that to stay off all meds and keep strict control of my BG, I'll be doing this for the rest of my life.

I plan to make my faux mashed taters (i.e. cauliflower) to have with my turkey and a small dish of brussel sprouts because they always do starchy type vegies with the meal. I'm also making a crustless low carb mini-cheesecake (6") so I can have some dessert with everyone. *Maybe* I'll splurge and have a tablespoon or two of real gravy on my turkey.

Type 2 controlled by low carb diet <25gm carbs and and controlled protein.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:16 AM   #4

Thanks ladies!

You know it is funny, one of my daughters has been a vegetarian for years, she is now paleo/primal and is much healthier than she has been in years. My other daughter has been lowcarbing/primal off and on for years.

Thanksgiving was always so hard on them, because we all wanted "traditional" thanksgiving.

This year, thanks to my diagnosis, we are all exploring the cookbooks, blogs and recipes sites.

Luckily my hubby and daughter's hubby are the types that will try anything so we don't have to worry about them.

So I think this is going to be our FIRST annual healthy thanksgiving dinner!

I do plan on making a couple of "cauliflower" side dishes. My daughter wants to try one of the paleo dressings she has seen and been wanting to try.

Now that I know we all are on board with "healthy" t-day, I am pretty excited!

I can't do tofu or soy at all... it really messes with my system.

I think the only thing that we will really, really miss is my mac and cheese, I made it home made with a TON of cheesy goodness. But NO MATTER how good it was.... it certainly wasn't better than say.. keeping all my limbs!
Old 10-26-2013, 05:45 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
I made a cauliflower Mac and cheese recently and it would have passed for real Mac and cheese. I used pepper jack cheese and it was so creamy.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:05 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
Thanks for bringing this up. One of our low carb cheese cakes might be a good idea for
desert.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:25 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chocolate Rose
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: February 2012
This will be the second year of holidays since changing my woe to LCHF. My family has always had the same meal for Thanksgiving and Christmas - big turkey dinner. So, last year, I only had the turkey and green beans at both Thanksgiving and Christmas. I'm always in charge of making the gravy. I had other people taste it for me to be sure it was OK. For the last thirteen years or so, I've also been the one to make the dressing. It's my mom's recipe and the one we all love. But, she was always around to make sure I was doing it correctly. And, it's not something we ever tasted raw. So, no temptation.

For Thanksgiving last year, I did make a couple of appetizers - Paleo Crab Patties with Quick Aioli and Smoked Salmon Spirals on Cucumber Rounds which everyone enjoyed. I also took an alternate dessert - Candice's Low-Carb Chocolate Almond Mousse Pie (yummy!). And, I am always the one to make the cranberry sauces (which I didn't taste or eat, but I've made them SO many times I didn't need to).

I also made a few things for Christmas last year - for breakfast I made the Rasberry Almond Crumb Cake. For appetizers I made Marinated Shrimp and Artichokes, Buffalo Balls, Raisin Rosemary Crisps (without the raisins), and I picked up some Brie Dip and Chocolate Cheddar Cheese from Trader Joes. For dessert, I made the Red Velvet Cheesecake Swirl Brownies (all low carb recipes).

I don't have any cravings (haven't since the first week switching to LCHF) and I don't want to go back to feeling temptation, so I just avoid eating anything not on plan for me.
This year, I have to work on Thanksgiving and my dd has to work. The rest of my extended family will be having Thanksgiving in another city too far for me to go that evening. I'm considering making a prime rib and mashed cauli casserole for my dinner. I haven't said anything to dh yet, but I'm sure he'll just eat whatever I make.

So, it's looking like my holiday meals are still evolving. I haven't found any one thing that I'm willing to settle on yet. I haven't had a chance to think about what I'll be taking for Christmas this year, yet.

Last edited by Chocolate Rose; 10-27-2013 at 08:30 AM..
Chocolate Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
I made a cauliflower Mac and cheese recently and it would have passed for real Mac and cheese. I used pepper jack cheese and it was so creamy.
My apologies for taking so long to get back online.. last week was just plain crazy.. oy!

Would you mind sharing how you made that?
Old 10-28-2013, 05:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.W. View Post
Thanks for bringing this up. One of our low carb cheese cakes might be a good idea for
desert.
Any recipes that you suggest??
Old 10-28-2013, 06:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Rose View Post
This will be the second year of holidays since changing my woe to LCHF. My family has always had the same meal for Thanksgiving and Christmas - big turkey dinner. So, last year, I only had the turkey and green beans at both Thanksgiving and Christmas. I'm always in charge of making the gravy. I had other people taste it for me to be sure it was OK. For the last thirteen years or so, I've also been the one to make the dressing. It's my mom's recipe and the one we all love. But, she was always around to make sure I was doing it correctly. And, it's not something we ever tasted raw. So, no temptation.

For Thanksgiving last year, I did make a couple of appetizers - Paleo Crab Patties with Quick Aioli and Smoked Salmon Spirals on Cucumber Rounds which everyone enjoyed. I also took an alternate dessert - Candice's Low-Carb Chocolate Almond Mousse Pie (yummy!). And, I am always the one to make the cranberry sauces (which I didn't taste or eat, but I've made them SO many times I didn't need to).

I also made a few things for Christmas last year - for breakfast I made the Rasberry Almond Crumb Cake. For appetizers I made Marinated Shrimp and Artichokes, Buffalo Balls, Raisin Rosemary Crisps (without the raisins), and I picked up some Brie Dip and Chocolate Cheddar Cheese from Trader Joes. For dessert, I made the Red Velvet Cheesecake Swirl Brownies (all low carb recipes).

I don't have any cravings (haven't since the first week switching to LCHF) and I don't want to go back to feeling temptation, so I just avoid eating anything not on plan for me.
This year, I have to work on Thanksgiving and my dd has to work. The rest of my extended family will be having Thanksgiving in another city too far for me to go that evening. I'm considering making a prime rib and mashed cauli casserole for my dinner. I haven't said anything to dh yet, but I'm sure he'll just eat whatever I make.

So, it's looking like my holiday meals are still evolving. I haven't found any one thing that I'm willing to settle on yet. I haven't had a chance to think about what I'll be taking for Christmas this year, yet.
I'm so proud of you! WTG! Those appetizers sound yummy!

Like I keep telling people, this isn't a diet to lose some weight (no matter how much I need to lose weight). This is me cutting out the foods that are poisonous to my body, as I do want to keep limbs, etc.

I've always tasted as I cook, so it would be really tough on me to make any foods that are traditional.. such as my famous dressing. It was my mother's recipe and I knew I had it right, when the very first year I took over making it, I handed her a spoonful and she looked at my like she was angry and I panicked... she said "I think you beat me!!" Sweetest words I ever heard! hahahaha However, I am NOT going to tempt myself by cooking that, because I would def. have to try a bite or two.. and that is unacceptable.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:23 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
Start Date: April 2012
I am out of town, but will try and remember to post the recipe when I get back.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:23 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LoriWants2Lose
Stats: 228.6/192/155
Start Date: October 12, 2012
Substitutes are good to have on hand. If you have a favorite dessert, try to come up with a low-carb option. The desserts are usually what trip me up.
LoriWants2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:38 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
Just check out the recipes in our receipy section. One I and a lot of others like is
the first one listed in the cheesecake section. I tried it without the crust ( I am real
lazy) and it was still mighty good. And I can't rember which section it was in but the
Key Lime Pie one using SF lime jellow was so easy and good too.

A Cheesecake Factory Cheesecake (converted to lowcarb) - LowCarbFriends Recipes)

That link should bring up the Cheesecake factory one.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:41 AM   #14

Thanks, I will check out that key lime pie recipe.

Funny though, desserts aren't a biggy for me. But potatoes, dressing and my homemade mac and cheese.. kill it for me!

I could literally sit down with a spoon and eat nothing bet dressing for the whole holiday season. lol

But none of the above for me this year at all. I am just too afraid of binging. I am too afraid that if potatoes/dressing or mac/cheese were to hit my stomach, I might never stop. lol So whatever I eat it won't be those things.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:49 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 205/185/140
WOE: LC/Experimenting w/ NK
Start Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenback View Post
Thanks, I will check out that key lime pie recipe.

Funny though, desserts aren't a biggy for me. But potatoes, dressing and my homemade mac and cheese.. kill it for me!

I could literally sit down with a spoon and eat nothing bet dressing for the whole holiday season. lol

But none of the above for me this year at all. I am just too afraid of binging. I am too afraid that if potatoes/dressing or mac/cheese were to hit my stomach, I might never stop. lol So whatever I eat it won't be those things.
Even though it means more work, this year I am making Linda Sue's sausage stuffing, and a loaded "baked potato" cauli casserole so I don't feel tempted by the breaded stuffing and mashed potatoes!
alex_in_wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:31 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_in_wonderland View Post
Even though it means more work, this year I am making Linda Sue's sausage stuffing, and a loaded "baked potato" cauli casserole so I don't feel tempted by the breaded stuffing and mashed potatoes!
I am making the cauli casserole too!
Old 11-10-2013, 10:13 PM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: purpleducks
Stats: 285/267/165
Start Date: October 28, 2013
I've been wondering what to do also. My contribution is pumpkin pie. Maybe I'll just buy one, then make a crustless low carb one. My family is full of diabetics and with those with multiple allergies, so it's always difficult to cater to everyone.
I like the idea of the faux loaded baked potato casserole, it's on this week's menu to see if it would work for Thanksgiving. I'll have to check out the sausage stuffing too.
My biggest downfall is pecan pie. I will be trying a low carb one this year too. With 6 gallon bags of shelled pecans in the freezer, I've got to have me some pie...LC of course.
purpleducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:03 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleducks View Post
I've been wondering what to do also. My contribution is pumpkin pie. Maybe I'll just buy one, then make a crustless low carb one. My family is full of diabetics and with those with multiple allergies, so it's always difficult to cater to everyone.
I like the idea of the faux loaded baked potato casserole, it's on this week's menu to see if it would work for Thanksgiving. I'll have to check out the sausage stuffing too.
My biggest downfall is pecan pie. I will be trying a low carb one this year too. With 6 gallon bags of shelled pecans in the freezer, I've got to have me some pie...LC of course.
Purpleducks, looks like we are neighbors (in relative terms, lol) I am in Keller TX.

I am really, really lucky that I am not a dessert person, so I could withstand desserts. But some of the other foods scare me to death.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:45 AM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: purpleducks
Stats: 285/267/165
Start Date: October 28, 2013
Helenback you are just up the road from me. I'll actually be in Keller for Thanksgiving, that's where my sister lives. Small world.
purpleducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:22 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleducks View Post
Helenback you are just up the road from me. I'll actually be in Keller for Thanksgiving, that's where my sister lives. Small world.
I love small world stories. We actually do Thanksgiving the Saturday after t-day because my s-i-l works on Thursday.

So bff, hubby and I will spend Thursday watching football and eating ribs and brisket. T-day is and always has been my favorite holiday of the year. LOVE IT!
Old 11-15-2013, 09:26 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sarahatl
WOE: No Flour No Sugar
Start Date: May 2013
We are having a potluck at work next Thursday- this is the list of what folks are bringing
cake
pumpkin pie
sweet potato soufflé
Veggie plate - I am bringing this!
macaroni and cheese
biscuits
banana pudding
stuffing and gravy
turkey
pumpkin bread
tempeh
I guess I won't be eating much!
sarahatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:39 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahatl View Post
We are having a potluck at work next Thursday- this is the list of what folks are bringing
cake
pumpkin pie
sweet potato soufflé
Veggie plate - I am bringing this!
macaroni and cheese
biscuits
banana pudding
stuffing and gravy
turkey
pumpkin bread
tempeh
I guess I won't be eating much!
Be sure and before hand so you won't be tempted!
Old 11-17-2013, 12:00 AM   #23
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
y'know, cauliflower is a fall season crop so technically it deserves a place at the Thanksgiving (Fall Harvest Celebration) Table.

I know this is low carb focused, but my experience at my BF's Parents' home makes me think. There are two diabetics in the family. There are NO substitution foods. At best, they now use Dreamfields for the pasta dishes, but BFMom makes stuffed baked potatoes, and some kind of dressing, and full sugar desserts. The diabetics eat what they want, they eat portions and ask what the carb count for any starchy/sugary dish is and test and adjust their insulin accordingly.

Once I asked BFMom if she'd consider using my Adjusted recipe for a dessert fruit topped cheesecake; by just by using the Sugar Free Pie filling it would cut the sugar significantly, and she said why bother, it's still full of sugar in the cheesecake part ( sweetened condensed milk). I was floored that she wouldn't consider even a small easy change like that.

But no complaints, everything she makes is super delicious, and both the diabetics, the younger and elder, are super healthy, in fact the hospital didn't believe BF's dad was a 75 year old Type 1 because he was so young looking and healthy, the BF's doc insisted BF's father must be Type 2 managing "well". They are not Carb Addicts, but they just watch their carbs and their blood sugar religiously and adjust sooner rather than later and check their BS rather than assume, and Never assume they know the carbs counts of something. They are NOT overweight or unhealthy in any way except the diabetes. I'm impressed.

So, while they are diabetic, it doesn't change how they do Thanksgiving at all, because they don't see it as a glut carb fest, it's just a festival meal with good food they only have seasonally. BFMom HATES making stuffed baked potato and Turkey Tetrazini, but those are everonyone's favorite carby dishes so she makes them once or twice a year.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898

Last edited by metqa; 11-17-2013 at 12:01 AM..
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:57 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
y'know, cauliflower is a fall season crop so technically it deserves a place at the Thanksgiving (Fall Harvest Celebration) Table.

I know this is low carb focused, but my experience at my BF's Parents' home makes me think. There are two diabetics in the family. There are NO substitution foods. At best, they now use Dreamfields for the pasta dishes, but BFMom makes stuffed baked potatoes, and some kind of dressing, and full sugar desserts. The diabetics eat what they want, they eat portions and ask what the carb count for any starchy/sugary dish is and test and adjust their insulin accordingly.

Once I asked BFMom if she'd consider using my Adjusted recipe for a dessert fruit topped cheesecake; by just by using the Sugar Free Pie filling it would cut the sugar significantly, and she said why bother, it's still full of sugar in the cheesecake part ( sweetened condensed milk). I was floored that she wouldn't consider even a small easy change like that.

But no complaints, everything she makes is super delicious, and both the diabetics, the younger and elder, are super healthy, in fact the hospital didn't believe BF's dad was a 75 year old Type 1 because he was so young looking and healthy, the BF's doc insisted BF's father must be Type 2 managing "well". They are not Carb Addicts, but they just watch their carbs and their blood sugar religiously and adjust sooner rather than later and check their BS rather than assume, and Never assume they know the carbs counts of something. They are NOT overweight or unhealthy in any way except the diabetes. I'm impressed.

So, while they are diabetic, it doesn't change how they do Thanksgiving at all, because they don't see it as a glut carb fest, it's just a festival meal with good food they only have seasonally. BFMom HATES making stuffed baked potato and Turkey Tetrazini, but those are everonyone's favorite carby dishes so she makes them once or twice a year.
I may get to the point where I'm that comfortable, but I kind of hope I don't.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:14 AM   #25
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
What part do you not want to be comfortable with?
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:57 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
What part do you not want to be comfortable with?

I applaud anyone who can have a bite and walk away, but I am terrified that I wouldn't be that person. I would be like an alcoholic 1 beer is too many and a dozen isn't enough.

So for me, while I know you "can" have a bit... I don't want to get comfortable with that idea. I want to think of all foods that can spike my blood sugar as a poison... that way I won't be tempted.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:36 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jakelilydad
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: Feb 2012
This is a bit late, but I solve (?) the Holiday question by bringing stuff that I can eat: For Thanksgiving I brought a LC stuffing (made with lc bread), sugar free Chipotle/cranberry sauce, and a LC Pumpkin Spice cake. That way, I know I can have the Turkey, my cranberry sauce, whatever green veg others made, stuffing, and a dessert. If I really crave, I might have a tiny portion of sweet potato. Christmas tends to be slightly less carby for the main meal, so I just brought a dessert, and said no thanks to the potato dish. And New Year's Eve I host, so it is a low carb extravaganza. There are excellent low carb recipes on this site, so you can make everything low carb, and serve a meal that impresses even the non-low carbers in the group.
Jakelilydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:15 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenback View Post
I applaud anyone who can have a bite and walk away, but I am terrified that I wouldn't be that person. I would be like an alcoholic 1 beer is too many and a dozen isn't enough.

So for me, while I know you "can" have a bit... I don't want to get comfortable with that idea. I want to think of all foods that can spike my blood sugar as a poison... that way I won't be tempted.
That's the way I felt when it was about losing weight. Now that it is about the diabetes, I feel differently. I don't think I *can* have a bit. Not because I'm afraid I'll go off the deep end, but because *as a diabetic*, certain foods are 'in the long run' harmful to me.

Sure my insulin resistance is reversed and I'm off all meds and I even proved over the one week Christmas holiday that I can eat starchy carbs (not outright sugary stuff) without it affecting my blood sugar...but it did still give me all the other side effects - brain fog, insomnia, irritability, etc. - which tells me that these things are still toxic to me.

Someone once asked Dr. Bernstein if it was ok to cheat and his response was "no". I agree with him. Just as someone with celiac or a nut allergy learns that there are just some things they can't have...so diabetics need to learn the same thing. Unfortunately for diabetics they're swimming in the polluted information stream of the ADA and medical community who are quite happy to let them keep their carbs and medicate them.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:22 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aitch
Stats: 200/196/130ish
WOE: Paleo-ish
Start Date: Many moons ago.........
I keep right on low carbing and just convert everything.
Aitch is offline   Reply With Quote