Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Diabetes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/diabetes/)
-   -   Do you take supplements to help with your blood sugars? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/diabetes/814465-do-you-take-supplements-help-your-blood-sugars.html)

helenback 10-10-2013 07:49 AM

Do you take supplements to help with your blood sugars?

As y'all probably know I am only 8 weeks into my diabetes diagnosis.

Oh goodness, 8 weeks today as a matter of fact. I am going to keep doing exactly what I am doing until I see the dr. next month.

I have read 10,000 books on the subject and have my 4 favorites that are now my diabetes/healthy healing bibles. :D

I've read so much about vitamins and supplements that can help our systems to work better for us.

My question is....... Do you take supplements? If so, which ones? Have you seen a difference?

Thanks in advance my friends! :heart:

ravenrose 10-10-2013 11:09 AM

many years ago when I was also newly diagnosed I tried Chromium Picolinate and found it helped a lot. I have taken it ever since.

Otherwise, it's a matter of finding what works for each person.

I started taking Berberine earlier this year after reading it helps. But I have stopped because of other things I've read about it not being safe.

that is a distinction you need to make. some supplements just get you back to a normal level of stuff. In my case I need quite a lot of iron and vitamin D to get me in the normal range on blood tests, for example. the other type of supplements are supposed to actively lower blood sugar... those are potentially a problem. anything that's that powerful can have just as many side effects and drug interactions as a regular pharmaceutical drug, but with no testing to tell you what those dangers are.

good luck

cfine 10-10-2013 06:13 PM

I take chromium picolinate and berberine.

E.W. 10-10-2013 08:36 PM

On the subject of berberine I just started taking it. I bought a cheap brand a while back only to find it was cheap because it was phoney all it was was rice powder. So I guess sometimes it pays to go with a known brand even if it's a few cents higher.

helenback 10-11-2013 07:28 AM

Thanks y'all!

I have heard of Chromium Picolinate, but was afraid to use it, because my old doctor wasn't a fan. I will have to research it. :D

I haven't heard of Berberine I will research it too.

I have heard good things about several others like ALA, Magnesium, Calcium and D3, Biotin. Been studying up on those.

Thanks again y'all.

RebeccaLatham 10-14-2013 06:08 AM

I have probably had T2D for many years, but only started checking my blood glucose two years ago and was only diagnosed 3 months ago.

My diabetes is 100% controlled by eating very high fat, moderate protein and very low carb.

I take no medications or supplements to help with my blood glucose.

helenback 10-15-2013 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham (Post 16642195)
I have probably had T2D for many years, but only started checking my blood glucose two years ago and was only diagnosed 3 months ago.

My diabetes is 100% controlled by eating very high fat, moderate protein and very low carb.

Rebecca,

I think I might be your mobidly obese long lost sister! :D

I too figure I have been diabetic for a number of years. Certainly the last 2 or 3 years at least. Just the changes in my body/cravings/likes and dislikes changed so dramatically. I figure T2 is probably what changed. I had been hypoglycemic for years. I just did NOT understand how serious that was and had ostrich disease. By keeping my head in the sand, I didn't use one iota of common sense and change nutrition at all.

All by diet choices so far, but am going to try some vitamins. I really don't think I need them for BS levels, my levels are stellar. I am hoping for a boost in energy, if it lowers my BS levels that will be an added bonus! :D

Congrats on your stats!! Great attitude too!

RebeccaLatham 10-15-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by helenback (Post 16644092)
Rebecca,

I think I might be your mobidly obese long lost sister! :D

I too figure I have been diabetic for a number of years. Certainly the last 2 or 3 years at least. Just the changes in my body/cravings/likes and dislikes changed so dramatically. I figure T2 is probably what changed. I had been hypoglycemic for years. I just did NOT understand how serious that was and had ostrich disease. By keeping my head in the sand, I didn't use one iota of common sense and change nutrition at all.

All by diet choices so far, but am going to try some vitamins. I really don't think I need them for BS levels, my levels are stellar. I am hoping for a boost in energy, if it lowers my BS levels that will be an added bonus! :D

Congrats on your stats!! Great attitude too!

Thanks! All the best to you, too!

helenback 10-16-2013 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham (Post 16645179)
Thanks! All the best to you, too!

Thank you!

Aomiel 10-17-2013 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham (Post 16642195)

Yep...this.

haferchamp 10-25-2013 11:54 PM

Stay away from high doses of Niacin (over 50 mg). I've just finished reading several articles on how it contributes to high blood sugar. :stars:

haferchamp 10-26-2013 12:39 AM

Supplements:
This is per Dr. Andrew Weil:

Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10). A powerful antioxidant, CoQ10 contributes to heart health by preventing the oxidation of LDL cholesterol, and by re-energizing the mitochondria in the heart cells, which is where energy metabolism occurs. Dosage: 90-120 mg per day; for best absorption, take with a meal containing fat.

Alpha-lipoic acid. This antioxidant nutrient improves the cells' response to insulin and can help stabilize blood sugar levels. Dosage: 100 to 400 mg per day.

Magnesium. Higher insulin and blood sugar levels are often observed in people with low plasma magnesium levels. Magnesium supplementation has been shown to improve insulin resistance in animal studies. Dosage: 100 mg - 400 mg per day, use half the amount of magnesium as you take of calcium. Look for magnesium citrate, chelate, or glycinate. Avoid magnesium oxide.

Chromium. This mineral helps stabilize blood sugar, may improve serum lipid profiles, and may help the body utilize glucose and burn fat. The best form to use is GTF chromium. Dosage: 1,000 mcg per day.

helenback 10-28-2013 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haferchamp (Post 16658746)
Stay away from high doses of Niacin (over 50 mg). I've just finished reading several articles on how it contributes to high blood sugar. :stars:

That is good to know! Thank you!