Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Diabetes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2013, 11:38 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: razberry
Stats: Currently 228, re-started 9/1 down 56 lbs!
WOE: lower carb/low-glycemic w/portion control
Anyone tried fig leaf tea to reduce blood sugar?

I was planning on doing it this year after my figs were done. Pick and dry the leaves for diabetic tea. Unfortunately, we had serious rains here for about 2 weeks and my two large fig trees both got rust fungus on every single leaf before I was able to see it. I'm not sure if the rust is harmful, but I'm scared to try it. I was able to dry some leaves earlier in summer before the rust hit, but not very many. Just wondering if anyone has tested their sugar after drinking fig leaf tea or taking the extract, then tested the same meal w/o it. I'm pre-diabetic, but try to eat as if I already am. I found a place to buy the dried leaves online if it really works, then will treat my trees with copper spray and harvest before any rust has the chance to strike next year. Share your thoughts and experiences with me if you don't mind!
Make a lifestyle/eating change forever
Down 56 pounds after starting back 9/1/14
razberry is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2013, 09:11 AM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
not tried it. just remember, anything that is powerful enough to make a difference can have bad side effects too, and it's not tested by anyone. I love the idea of a safe natural way to lower blood sugar, but honestly, it's just eating less carbs. Metformin would be a lot safer than the fig leaf tea, if the tea worked.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:07 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: soapluvr
This one is new to me. Never heard of it or that it can lower blood sugar.

I take a supplement for inflammation (zyflamend) and have found that it lowers my fasting blood sugar but I still have to eat low carb because it doesn't lower pp sugar. I did not originally take this to lower blood sugar. I live in a hot humid part of the country and have a lot of aches and pains when the humidity is high so this supplement gets me through the hot summer months with minimal pain. And the fact that it lowers my fasting blood sugar is an added benefit.
soapluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:33 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

I've been trying this for a few weeks and am just thrilled. I take Met already for PCOS but my blood sugars are normal just slightly higher than I'd like. I started tracking them for weight loss not diabetes. I'm down 50 pounds and the last 15 were I believe from the fig leaf tea. It has most dramatically lowered my post prandial numbers after a low-moderate carb meal but my dawn effect has almost entirely gone away. In fact I've been able to add in some low glycemic fruit and tiny bit of grain and have lost more in the last couple of weeks than in the last two months as my sugars barely rise after drinking the tea before meals. My A1C also dropped from from 5.6 to 5.1 even eating the higher carbs. It's a huge hassle to make the tea removing the latex then drying but I'm sticking with it. A friend let me pick some of his leaves but Ill have my own again next year. Just so excited, and wanted to share. Will always eat a low glycemic diet but so far so good with adding berries and such which normally put my sugar after meals close to 140-150, tonight it was 101 after eating 2 LC tortillas a little black beans chicken grilled veggies mixed berries. At 2 hours 91. I used to not get those numbers w/o eating the beans and berries and had to stay close to 10-15 carbs a day to really lose.

Last edited by razberry; 10-23-2013 at 10:45 PM..
Old 10-24-2013, 07:09 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 312/310/ a lot less
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: restart again 10/27/2014
How much and how ofton do you take it ? I just wonder if
my local herb store ( also known as high prices were born here ) has it?
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:42 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

I just drink a cup or glass while preparing my supper or prior to eating lunch. This past weekend I made s big pot made with green and black tea added and several limes and drank it over the weekend. If you google it you'll find more info and studies. You can probably find plenty of people right
now who would gladly let you pick leaves from their tree so they'll have less raking to do later. I've never bought online but have seen it for sale recently along with mulberry leaf tea used for the same purpose. I don't have any new ketosticks but would bet it would help you get into ketosis better even when lowcarbing.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: carrielyn
Stats: 186/177/140
WOE: SBD
Start Date: restarting 1/18/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
not tried it. just remember, anything that is powerful enough to make a difference can have bad side effects too, and it's not tested by anyone. I love the idea of a safe natural way to lower blood sugar, but honestly, it's just eating less carbs. Metformin would be a lot safer than the fig leaf tea, if the tea worked.
But, if taking metformin causes one to spend undue amounts of time in the bathroom and the rest of time so fatiqued you don't want to get out of bed, not necessarily safer. I took myself off of metformin and, WOW, no more intestinal distress and not fatiqued, I get tired but I'm 65 and work fulltime with overtime so I'm not surprised at that. I do have to be very careful of what I eat and I'm going to try Chaga mushroom tea to see if it helps keep my numbers in a 'normal' range. I've heard some pretty impressive things about the Chaga mushroom.

Carolyn