LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: pawleys14
Stats: 305/277.8/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarting August 11, 2013
why do people trash low-carb??? I am sooo angry

I have been on Atkins this time since Aug. 11th - and have dropped almost 25 pounds and one dress size .. very proud of myself... and been exercising.

so have three great friends that are also on a new WOE with WW program. well, they have talking and two of them think that WW is the only and best diet there is....and they are soooo worried about me and this WOE... even though my blood sugar has been great..... I am a diabetic.. and I have been feeling great....

just WTH is wrong with them speaking with this one friend... she said that she was worried and I said why.. and she said that I wasn't eating protein - I said what the heck do you mean??? the proteins I eat are zero carbs... I AM eating protein... I then tried to tell her something about Atkins... that I eat chicken, fish, seafood, all the good veggies... that right now I am not eating fruit - because it tends to spike my blood sugar.....
I told her she would really read the book....

she said well - didn't that nurse (at a clinic I used to go to) say that I should eat 120 carbs A DAY --gosh if I ate those carbs each day I would be 400 pounds and my sugar would be off the charts....I told her you can not always believe the medical field.

my other friend keeps telling about things I should eat... and they are always something with bread... which I am staying away from....

I know that they love me and want the best for me.... but it bugs the heck out of me..... I do not trash WW.... I used to do WW - but with that diet I tended to eat the bread and fruits because they tend to push that stuff.... and I did not lose weight and my B/S stayed high...

the four of us are going out on Friday to a play and dinner... and I think I want to write down a few days of meals and show them and say - ok what is wrong with this way of eating......

really do hate it when people trash something they do not know anything about....... sorry to vent soooo long... but I know that this is common thing that happens to people on Atkins...

any pointers.... I do not want to get angry at them... just want them to know that I am eating well and it is making me heathy...and just to worry about their own WOE and stay the heck away from mine.....LOL

Proud Grandma to Kyle and Derek - the loves of my life.... granddaughter Abigail (Abby)

May today there be peace within you. May you trust God that you are exactly where you are meant to be.
I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.
pawleys14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2013, 03:51 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Actually your best bet is to make your diet off-limits as a topic of discussion. Do not write down a few days of meals and show them. It will just give them fuel for the fire, as you know they are against low carb. Do not bring up the topic at all. Just eat the way you know you should be eating. If they bring it up, just say everything is going fine. If they persist, tell them point blank that you are happy with your diet and you don't want it to be a topic of discussion. Then "pass the bean dip" (i.e., change the conversation). Most people who don't do LC can't understand it at best, and are hostile to it or try to sabotage it at worst. Just don't engage them. And if you have nothing else to talk about with them other then your diets, perhaps the friendship does not have a very firm foundation.
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:56 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jakelilydad
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: Feb 2012
I agree that making it a "non-topic" is the best idea. You say that you are diabetic, but you never said whether your friends are. If they are not, you have an easy end to the conversation: just tell them that you have other issues, and that the way you are eating is working- your blood sugars are under control. They will eventually see that your weight is dropping, and eventually may ask how you are doing it. Congrats on that, by the way. Until then, just talk about how you have to keep your blood sugar under control or you risk nerve damage, kidney failure, amputations, and blindness, and that's why you decline the bread and pasta. These are uncomfortable topics to talk about, so I bet they will be happy to change the subject.
Jakelilydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:10 PM   #4
FLUFF'S FAVORITE BUBBE!!!

Location: What am I doing in this basket and why is it so warm in here????
Gallery: helenback
Over the years I have learned to just not talk to narrow-minded bigots. Whether they are bigoted about diet, religion, race, doesn't matter they are bigots who refuse to be educated.

The last time I discussed the WOE with someone, I laughed right in their face and said. (seriously gaffaw-laughed in their face) When I got through laughing, I said, "where was your da*ned concern when I was eating hamburgers, french fries, shakes, cokes, pizza, burritos????? There may be 10,000 different ways to get to where we are going, but I am trying to save my life and this is the method I choose. I educated myself about WW, Atkins and many other diets. I picked the one that is going to save my life. You are welcome to your concerns but you are required to keep your concerns to yourself.. Just stand back and watch!" That seemed to shut them up!

oh and pawleys14!!!! WTG!!

edited to add: If they are really close friends, maybe you can remind them that you are a diabetic and hand them a copy of Dr. Bernstein's book or even Sugar Nation. Tell them to read and learn. That you are not comfortable trying to discuss something they are totally uneducated on. Tell them you need them to read it where they will understand what a diabetics needs are.

I can be powerful or I can be pitiful! I choose powerful!

Last edited by helenback; 10-08-2013 at 07:14 PM..
helenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:36 PM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
If they are really so concerned about your diet and health, but not concerned enough to educate themselves when you ask them to, then they are not concerned enough to make comments at you about it. If they want to be willfully ignorant of your diets details, then they can be ignorant about ALL the details of your diet and it is no longer a topic of discussion for them. If they ask you why you are being "that way", then ask them how they would feel if you were to trash talk Weigh Watchers, because there could be lots to find that is "wrong" with that plan based on a different perspective.

I had a coworker who was WW, and I was low carb, and I always brought my homecooked entrees, with a salad for lunch. Everyone always commented on how healthy and delicious my lunches were. One day I had to bring a frozen meal, and lo and behold, she had brought the exact same meal. She was so excited that we were "on the same plan" until I told her I was following low carb, then she poo'd and pushawed that dangerous Atkins diet and how you can't eat this/that, etc like miraculously all of my "healthy and delicious" meals suddenly became poisonous because they were Atkins Friendly. I shook my head as she pulled out the exact same frozen meal for lunch that I was eating....

Later Other coworkers were asking me for recipes and samples while no one was asking for samples of her meals, in the end, my food was better and better variety, and when she got all excited about the new "mashed cauliflower" dish she could have on weight watchers, I reminded here that I ate that all the time for years before she discovered it and I was not deprived because I could eat it with butter, cheese and cream cheese, while she had to keep it low fat. That was kinda mean of me, but I felt that it was in return for the other comments about low carb being so bad when WW was using many tried and true low carb recipes

But I didn't bring it up as a topic, my coworkers always did, i just ate my lunches and eventually others who were interested came around and learned abit about low carb and on my Birthday they made for me a low carb chocolate mousse with heavy cream and everyone enjoyed it, even the WW people, but she had to spend her points. I was happy because she finally understood that I was happy on my plan and that we can share the good things about our plans that are similar and don't have to make the other feel bad cause the plan is not exactly the same.

BTW, I've got nothing against people doing WW, just people who are pushy about it against people on other plans who are happy with their plans.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898

Last edited by metqa; 10-08-2013 at 07:39 PM..
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:49 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Widget
In the majority of cases, schools, the news media, magazines, TV commercials, nutritional books, diet books, diabetic books, the ADA, the FDA, doctors and dieticians say everyone must eat low fat and plenty of whole grains and fruit or one day you will keel over dead with a heart attack. These are 'the experts', the ones with all the medical and dietary training, so who are you, who have no medical training, to contradict what all these experts say? People don't say that to our faces, but I believe that is what they are thinking when we try to convince them that low carb is healthy.

I gave up trying to convince people long ago. They eat what they want and I eat what I want and they're probably expecting me to keel over at any second.
Widget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:16 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nill4me
Stats: 244/240/150-ish
WOE: LCHF/NK
Start Date: 8/19/2014
Ask them to just accept you for who you are (a fantastically awesome person taking control of your life and health. )and not what you do ( or do not) choose to eat. You are a trooper. Shine on sunshine!! Shine on.
nill4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:12 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

metga - wow - just love what you said to your co-worker..... so funny that everyone believes the "experts" like the nurse that told me I should eat 120 carbs a day WTH ...

my three friends are not diabetics only me.... and one of them really does understands my diet... she is on WW, but as I said of the four of us I have lost the most weight and inches than them on WW... and I know each person is different as they lose weight... but my blood sugar numbers are sooooo great now.... so my friend has spoke with one of them... and I do think that the two of them understand a bit more and that this is the one way for ME to drop the weight and drop my B/S numbers... the other friend that I adore.. well she worships WW... so I just will not say anything.... just try to lose more weight and eat my WOE...

thanks for all the comments and info... love ya guys.......
Old 10-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #9

You are an inspiration to others, your progress and your health proves it to yourself even if others can't see the awesomeness that you are doing for yourself. It's good that your friend is speaking up for you to the others.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:16 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: soapluvr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widget View Post
In the majority of cases, schools, the news media, magazines, TV commercials, nutritional books, diet books, diabetic books, the ADA, the FDA, doctors and dieticians say everyone must eat low fat and plenty of whole grains and fruit or one day you will keel over dead with a heart attack. These are 'the experts', the ones with all the medical and dietary training, so who are you, who have no medical training, to contradict what all these experts say? People don't say that to our faces, but I believe that is what they are thinking when we try to convince them that low carb is healthy.

I gave up trying to convince people long ago. They eat what they want and I eat what I want and they're probably expecting me to keel over at any second.
Yeah right. My husband ate that way and it ended up clogging up his artery. He had to have a stent put in. I put him on a no grain diet and his cholesterol went down to 200 from 230. Geeze I wish people would get with the program. Ignorance is not bliss.
soapluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:17 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Unfortunately, people hear 'Atkins' and they freak because all they know about it is what the media has told them. Then they watch people like Dr Oz who *deliberately* misrepresented the low carb diet like Gary Taubes eats.

Interestingly, when I tell people I'm following Dr. Bernstein's "Diabetes solution" (recommend getting it) they're ok with that. It's basically the same as Atkins Induction *except* protein is also controlled and Bernstein does low fat. I ignore the low fat part. My diet is high fat, moderate protein and very low carb.

Personally, I wouldn't get into discussions with them and if they continue to push it, good friends or not, I would politely tell them that you will not discuss your WOE with them until they read the entire Atkins book and Dr. Bernstein's book (because Bernstein's book lays out the science).
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:45 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

they are getting better.... I think they know now that I am on this WOE and I will not do WW.... with me being a diabetic... this WOE is better for my blood sugar... WW is not the best fit for me....

so if they do call me on my WOE I will tell them that I will not discuss it and that my sugar is better and I am losing weight... END OF DISCUSSION
Old 10-21-2013, 03:36 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Meblonde
I'm new here this if actually my first post. But I could not help but to jump in here, 5 years ago I was diagnosed with pre diabetes I went on a low carb diet. I got a tester I monitored my sugar and I stayed below 40 carbs a day. In 2 months I was no long pre. my cholesterol number were great and I was told what ever I was doing to keep it up. Two years ago my sister a diabetic for 6 years followed my advice and went on the LC and she is no longer a type 2 diabetic anymore. They told her she needed 200 carbs a day and three fruit. I told her NO. follow what I tell you. Lean protein, real foods, lots of green veggies. It works so let them argue all they want. I and my sister or proof.
Meblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:50 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

when is the medical community going to wake up ????? it is almost like they want us to stay diabetics and use their meds....
Old 10-21-2013, 05:57 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dirty Harriet
Stats: 425/179/198/190@ 5'7" (-227)
WOE: 40Gm carbs/day (total) + WLS
Start Date: 8/11/2005 lap band; maintaining since 7/4/08!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meblonde View Post
I'm new here this if actually my first post. But I could not help but to jump in here, 5 years ago I was diagnosed with pre diabetes I went on a low carb diet. I got a tester I monitored my sugar and I stayed below 40 carbs a day. In 2 months I was no long pre. my cholesterol number were great and I was told what ever I was doing to keep it up. Two years ago my sister a diabetic for 6 years followed my advice and went on the LC and she is no longer a type 2 diabetic anymore. They told her she needed 200 carbs a day and three fruit. I told her NO. follow what I tell you. Lean protein, real foods, lots of green veggies. It works so let them argue all they want. I and my sister or proof.
Dirty Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:03 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
As a nurse, it's embarrassing what they serve diabetics in the hospital ! Ugh.......
shelby'snana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:19 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Meblonde! Sounds like you've done great.
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:34 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: paid4c4
Keep up the good work. Losing weight is proof LC works. You'll never be able to rationalize an irrational mind or an uneducated mind. Just let your weight loss speak for itself.
Bill
paid4c4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:08 PM   #19

Today, at the thrift store book aisle , an officer overheard me talking to BF about how the Diabetic cookbooks and diet information emphasized Low Fat instead of Low Carb. The officer started talking about his uncle who was 400 lbs and diagnosed with diabetes and how the diabetic diet helped him lose 250 lbs. I agreed that the diabetic diet WAS better than a standard junk food diet. Then he said "I did the Atkins diet and lost 25 lbs in two weeks. . . . But it all came right back afterward." I didn't contradict him. But later in the car, My BF commented ( and I love him for realizing the irony)

"Well he can't blame the Atkins diet for the weight coming back. Why doesn't he realize that if he followed Atkins and lost 25lbs in two weeks, and then gained it back on his old diet just as fast, that maybe his OLD diet was the problem, not the Atkins one!!!!"

I didn't think he was actually listening. I was so proud of him!

Last edited by metqa; 10-31-2013 at 08:10 PM..
Old 11-01-2013, 03:32 PM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

I know people just do not realize that you can lose all your weight, BUT you have to continue to watch what you eat.... not go hog wild and eat everything now that your weight is lost.....
Old 11-01-2013, 04:43 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: girondet
Stats: Maintaining 125-128, 5'5"
WOE: Bernstein/paleo
Start Date: May 2009
I guess the reasoning is something like, "well I gained weight when I over indulged for a while so I'm going to lose weight by doing a special diet and then I can go back to eating the way I used to before I over indulged and things will be fine." Only maybe really new habits were formed of overeating or eating lots more of certain foods, grazing all day, and so on so now who knows how one even really ate back then when one was a perfect weight?

That was me. Lol. And every new diet taught me new behaviors that maybe weren't so hot...if combined with others.....giant portions low in fat taught me giant portions were ok.

Well....you get the idea. It seems to defy logic, but not really....
Old 11-02-2013, 05:18 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Two years ago my sister a diabetic for 6 years followed my advice and went on the LC and she is no longer a type 2 diabetic anymore.
Just want to clear up that your sister is still a Type 2 diabetic even though she is diet controlled. There is no cure for diabetes. If she goes back to her old way of eating, she will once again become insulin resistant and have higher BG's. Same with you, if you've had elevated BG's in the 'pre-diabetic' range, it means you have the diabetes gene and you have not 'cured' yourself so much as controlled your diabetes.

I really hate that word 'pre-diabetes'. Supposedly if you have 'pre-diabetes', your A1c is running between 5.5-6.4 which means your BG has, for 3 months, averaged out at around 119-151. This has never made sense to me since normal people just don't 'average' this high. Which means that if someone *is* averaging this high, there's no 'pre-diabetic' about it. They already are in the first stages.

My endo and I have had this discussion and she agrees. She feels that the medical and diabetes communities are doing a disservice to diabetics by letting them 'feel good' that they are pre-diabetic rather than telling them they actually are diabetic because they are under a false sense of security that they've dodged a bullet...when they haven't. They've just caught it in the very early stages when it's easier to reverse the insulin dependence and before the effects of diabetes actually kick in.

Consider...if you aren't a diabetic until your A1c is 6.5, then why is an A1c of 5 considered 'normal'...and why does every point above 5 carry a 20% higher risk of cardiovascular event. So those who are labeled pre-diabetic are still in the range of a 'diabetes related' cardiovascular event. Hmmm...sounds like they're diabetic to me and the medical community is playing word games.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:20 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Oh and btw MEBlonde, congratulations on taking control of your health and your sister too!
Old 11-10-2013, 10:57 PM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: purpleducks
Stats: 285/267/165
Start Date: October 28, 2013
If anyone were to question me about my WOE, I'd be telling them how I've gone from having blood sugars in excess if 375 after meals to no more than 130. I've been able to reduce my insulin from 90 units twice daily to 46 to 50 units.,, and this is just in 2 weeks. I'm having to reduce my insulin almost daily to keep from crashing. I'm not depriving myself with tiny portions, just eating low carb meals. Love it.
purpleducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:45 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleducks View Post
If anyone were to question me about my WOE, I'd be telling them how I've gone from having blood sugars in excess if 375 after meals to no more than 130. I've been able to reduce my insulin from 90 units twice daily to 46 to 50 units.,, and this is just in 2 weeks. I'm having to reduce my insulin almost daily to keep from crashing. I'm not depriving myself with tiny portions, just eating low carb meals. Love it.
That's Awesome!
Old 11-12-2013, 06:47 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleducks View Post

Old 11-12-2013, 10:28 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: smoky
Stats: Start weight 280/208/180
WOE: Type 2 Diabetic on - LCHF
Start Date: Re Start Oct 19 2013
I just tell them I am off all my meds, So its LCHF for me.
smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:04 AM   #28
Blabbermouth!!!

smoky - right on.......

so funny that my three friends are on WW.... and one thinks that is the only right diet in the world and she says that she is worried about me and this WOE I doing...

well, my blood sugars are down.... I have lost 31 pounds since Aug 11th..... I am feeling great........ and of the four of us... for the same amount of time... wow I have lost the most weight.... so do not tell me that this WOE is wrong for me now if she starts up I just tell her that this is what I am doing... and WW is what she is doing... that these WOE are the right things for us...