Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Diabetes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2013, 09:19 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member
 
rachinator87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 17
Gallery: rachinator87
Stats: 200/183/150
WOE: Glycemic Load Diet
Diabetic Recipes and Low Carb

Whats the difference between low carb recipes and diabetic friendly. I am pre diabetic so i thought buying a diabetic cooking magazine would be a great idea for new recipes but i looked at a few recipes and they are not low carb...Why is this and what is the difference?

*I am new to this, I am pre-diabetic (high levels but not high enough to be diabetic) And i have been eating low carb for a month and a half and have lost almost 20 pounds. My doctor told me to follow the Glycemic Load Diet
rachinator87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2013, 09:42 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2,059
Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/174/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
There is much controversy about all this. And no, most "Diabetes" recipe mags are NOT low carb. Seems that even the Diabetes community buys into the idea that you NEED a "balanced" diet, including more carbs then I think most need.

IMO, a low carb diet IS diabetes friendly, and many here who got borderline diagnosis for D2, or were diagnosed as having D2, have found their BG numbers DRAMATICALLY improve w/a low carb diet, many to the point where they can get off their meds.

I guess I would suggest reading Dr. Bernstein's "The Diabetes Solution." Or at least skimming it or reading articles on it. Dr. Bernstein would NOT endorse the Diabetes recipes you're finding in your mag. He is a low carb advocate, and has much to base this on, including the success he's had fighting his own diabetes.

As someone who is borderline for D2, I don't think you necessarily need to implement Dr. B's plan, which I think is probably more stringent than you need. But I do think you're much better off understanding this from his POV, then the current Diabetes mainstream wisdom, which frankly, I think sucks, not to put to fine of a point on it, LOL.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:47 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member
 
Chuck41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Hot Springs, AR
Posts: 254
Gallery: Chuck41
Stats: 6'2"-250/213.5/195
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: Dec, 31, 2012
Forget their dumb recommendations and stick with strict low carb. I too was "pre-diabetic" last Dec. Went low carb n lost 35#. Even better, I returned blood sugar to normal levels, reduced total cholesteral a bit and raised good (hdl) cholesterol by 25%. Blood pressure dropped about 20 pts back to normal range. Most dramatically, my triglycerides dropped from 240+ to 68! Low carb works, that other garbage just slows the rate that you become diabetic a bit.
Chuck41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:36 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!
 
Moonchild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: So. Ga.
Posts: 2,201
Gallery: Moonchild
Stats: (272 first go around) 219/190/180
WOE: LC
Start Date: restart Sept 02, 2013
I had just got out of the hospital last month .. only a few days before starting low-carb again. My BSugar was running over 460 .. and I rarely ate any sweets .. it is the carbs in starches that were killing me. My BP was 190/126.

After less than a month on low carb, my BP is ALMOST normal (with meds of course .. but before I could not control it even with meds), and 3 weeks in I stopped taking my insulin yet my average reading this past week was 132. Not perfect .. but very close. (FYI .. i anot advocating for anyone to stop their insulin .. this is just what I did to see how well my "diet" was helping).

The diest they gave me while in the hospital for a week was atrocious. Apparently if one is overweight, they automatically put you on a lower fat diet. Well .. that is rather dumb (IMHO) since the low fat items had SUGAR added in place of the fat. Low fat dressing for my salad, low fat mayo, etc. Great .. take away the fat and give a diabetic sugar instead. Crazy!

LC is definitely a diabetic friendly WOE. It isnt just sugar that hurts us. It is pretty much any starch. I could eat a candy bar and not have it spike my sugar as much as 1 bite of potato would do. Our household all went out to eat to celebrate a friends birthday the weekend before starting LC. I had 1 bowl of soup that contained good LC foods .. all except a few pieces of potato (not even equal to 1 itty bitty new potato) .. and I spiked to 387. So .. no potatoes will ever cross my lips again. Loaded broccoli and cauliflower for me for now on.

Hope this helps in your decision making. The night before I went into the hospital, I lay quietly on the couch while the others were sleeping. I was in horrible pain. I said my prayers, silently prayed my children and g-babes would live great lives, and waited to die. I just knew I was a goner .. and in that much pain .. was hoping so. But now .. now I am 10 pounds lighter .. but a whole size smaller, great BP and nearly normal BSugar. I feel so much better physically and emotionally. I have a long was to go .. but I know I am heading in the right direction with LC.
__________________
"If the problem isn't hunger, food isn't the solution"
Moonchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:52 AM   #5
.
 
ravenrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: California
Posts: 9,664
Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
It's really not confusing, but it is deceptive.

The idea that diabetics need a certain amount of carbs is 99% because when you are taking insulin or the oral medications that force your pancreas to put out insulin no matter what, you are in serious danger of dangerous low blood sugars unless you dose the meds to exactly the amount of carbs you are eating.

Instead of TELLING the patient that and letting her decide what she does, they decide that you will be unable to really follow low carb so pick some carb level that is not low but rather LEVEL. Once they know what you are eating, carbwise, they can dose the meds safely.

That is why you hear the fuss about diabetics eating on time--otherwise their "fake" insulin levels will be a problem.

OF COURSE it's better to have a lower carb intake and either no drugs or a smaller dose. But you have to do it. Eating low carb a couple days a week and then "cheating" gives you high blood sugars that are also dangerous, though in this case over the long term, not today.

In addition to this, some doctors insist that you will be tired all the time and not feel well on low carb. It's just a matter of not knowing, they mean well. You know you can feel excellent without the carb intake, and there is ABSOLUTELY NO QUESTION that it's the healthier way for diabetics and prediabetics to eat.

You made a good choice!
__________________
Often I don't come back to read threads where I've posted. If you want me to see something, please send me a private message. Thanks!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:46 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member
 
Chuck41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Hot Springs, AR
Posts: 254
Gallery: Chuck41
Stats: 6'2"-250/213.5/195
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: Dec, 31, 2012
My wife's mother went into the nursing home a few years back and was put on a diabetic diet. We went in and found they gave her a meal with a tiny portion of meat along with bread, potatoes, peas, a fruit, and a small sugar free cake for dessert. They insisted that was an approved diabetic diet because of the total daily calories.
Really smart. People become diabetic because of excessive consumption of sugar and other starches so their cure is to restrict fat? If you believe that I have a great deal on a bridge you might be interested in.
__________________
One LC Day at a time.
First LC 1964.
Restart 12/31/2013
250-213.5-195
Chuck41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:54 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!
 
lterry913's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,966
Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
The difference is simply this imo, dibetic recipes replace white or brown sugar with sweetener...that's it...you still get carbs from the wheat in the recipes. Somtimes more carbs from the wheat than from the sugar. OH WAIT, then there is the fact that they are replacing high fat sources with low fat choices such as margerine and skim milk etc. These products are more processed therefor caontain more carbs per ounce used...so I guess that's 2 main reasons.

Over simplified, but I am a simple person haha.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:08 AM   #8
FLUFF'S FAVORITE BUBBE!!!
 
helenback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: What am I doing in this basket and why is it so warm in here????
Posts: 3,290
Gallery: helenback
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachinator87 View Post
Whats the difference between low carb recipes and diabetic friendly. I am pre diabetic so i thought buying a diabetic cooking magazine would be a great idea for new recipes but i looked at a few recipes and they are not low carb...Why is this and what is the difference?

*I am new to this, I am pre-diabetic (high levels but not high enough to be diabetic) And i have been eating low carb for a month and a half and have lost almost 20 pounds. My doctor told me to follow the Glycemic Load Diet
Hi!

I have low-carbed off and on for years.. lose, gain.. etc.. etc.. (being really stupid, lazy and a carb addict I would fall off the LC wagon with great regularity) UNTIL mid August of this year when I was officially diagnosed with diabetes. Now let me be the first to tell you.. there are some really, really, really knowledgeable people on this board who know WAY MORE about blood sugars and diabetes than I do.

But let me tell you what I have learned in a few short weeks. (Just my humble opinion.)

You are very, VERY lucky to have caught the "before" diagnosis. But because of your numbers, you should now always be aware of what you eat and how they relate to your blood sugars..

I canNOT stress strongly enough how much I believe every person should read several books. (I'm sure this list will grow.)

1. Dr Bernstein's Diabetic Solution and Dr Bernstein's Diabetic Diet. Read both, there is much to learn from each. (Regardless of whether you use his W.O.E. or not) The information you gather will be important for the rest of your life. (I might add, this man and his story is just amazing.)

2. Wheat Belly and Wheat Belly Cookbook by Dr Davis. I mention the cookbook not for recipes but because I read Wheat Belly which was scientific heavy for me. After reading the cookbook, science part, the original info from Wheat Belly made much more sense to me.

3. Sugar nation by Jeff O'Connell. (he is/was diagnosed pre-diabetic and was determined to learn everything he could about the disease and how he could stop it in it's tracks.) This book really explains how little importance the medical profession puts on actual nutritional information and why. (I haven't finished this book yet, but unless it goes straight to the gutter, I would say (so far) it is one of the best books I have ever read.

Now, again let me say, there are MANY people on here that know WAY MORE THAN I DO.. so keep in mind, I am a relative newbie when it comes to the diabetic side of life.

Here is what I know for me. This diagnosis --- while upsetting --- has saved my life.

I went online and bought extra testing strips, I took 21 days and monitored my b.s. A LOT... I now know what I can eat and what I can't. What raises my blood sugars (rapidly or slowly) and what to stay away from. Now whenever I try something new I make sure I test my b.s afterwards to make sure what it does to my blood sugar.. if it spikes my blood sugar I won't eat it again. Nothing, I REPEAT nothing tastes so good that it is worth losing my eyesight or a limb for.

I eat VERY, VERY easy. By that I mean, I am not interested in spending hours and hours cooking and substituting franken-foods just to get the taste of something I might miss. When I want a burrito, I brown hb meat, spice it up and then use romaine lettuce as the vessel. I haven't gotten to the point yet where I am willing to try beans. I LOVED them and I am afraid that if I try them I might crave them. If they cause a spike I don't want to have that craving to deal with.

I found that I can have 1 slice of Challah bread with virtually no spike or very, very little raise in b.s. So, while I will NOT eat it every day, it is nice to know that I can have pastrami and cheese on 1 slice of Challah bread.

Personally, in my own opinion, the Glycemic load is just that, a load. It is so subjective in how they come up with all their numbers that it just isn't reliable for a diabetic. Just my own opinion. If you were lactose intolerant your doctor would NEVER, EVER suggest you have milk. So why knowing that you are insulin resistant would the dr. suggest that you have carbs???? In my own opinion that is like suggesting an alcoholic have a bit of boose 3 times a day to cure the alcoholism! I don't need to know the gylcemic load, I need to know how many carbs are in a food and what those carbs do to my blood sugar. The made up science of those foods are irrelevant to me. (again, just my opinion)

I was upset with my dr when he told me to only check my b.s. once a day. I recently made another appt with him. (I love my dr.) I told him how upset I was with him, that I had every intention of stopping diabetes right in its tracks and he could either hop on the train or be left behind. I handed him those books I just mentioned above, asked him to read them before my next appt and to please give me a new prescription for more testing strips. I LOVE HIM.. he promised me he would read them cover to cover and called in the new script!

While I will continue to "use" the medical profession as a means to an end. This disease has the ability to end my life in some ugly, terrifying ways and since the medical profession has done NOTHING to stem the crazy out of control spike in how many people not only get diabetes but can't control it, then I have to find the answers myself. Since I have only had two spikes since August 19th (when I got my b.s monitor) I think I am on the right track!

Good luck on your journey!

edited to add: When taking my blood sugars I learned that I my b.s. tends to peak at 2 hrs and then go back down at 3 hrs. (unlike the 1 hr/2 hrs) I was expecting. Someone on this board, explained that meant that my sugars were rising slowly instead of a fast spike and that is a good thing! I was so grateful to learn that!
__________________





I can be powerful or I can be pitiful! I choose powerful!

Last edited by helenback; 09-26-2013 at 09:19 AM..
helenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:21 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 227
Gallery: Jrw85705
The three books that Helen recommended are at the top of my most important books along with "Why We Get Fat" by Gary Taubes. Knowledge is power and these books gave me the knowledge I needed to take control of my diabetes.

I can only speak from personal experience but I have gone from barely having my diabetes in control to completely in control with diet being the most important factor in my daily routine. I too tested like a fanatic in the beginning to see how I reacted to each food. Some foods I could have in moderation, like berries, and some not at all, like grapes. Once I understood how my body was reacting to what I ate I have been able have normal blood sugar numbers.

We are each so different so your results may be different from mine. So arm yourself with as much information as you can and know that you can have control.

And avail yourself to the vast amount of experience this forum can offer you. I know I have learned as much, if not more, from the people here than any other source.
__________________
________________________________
Ralph
"Don't dwell on what went wrong. Instead, focus on what to do next. Spend your energies on moving forward toward finding the answer."
Denis Waitley
Jrw85705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:46 PM   #10
FLUFF'S FAVORITE BUBBE!!!
 
helenback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: What am I doing in this basket and why is it so warm in here????
Posts: 3,290
Gallery: helenback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrw85705 View Post
The three books that Helen recommended are at the top of my most important books along with "Why We Get Fat" by Gary Taubes. Knowledge is power and these books gave me the knowledge I needed to take control of my diabetes.

I can only speak from personal experience but I have gone from barely having my diabetes in control to completely in control with diet being the most important factor in my daily routine. I too tested like a fanatic in the beginning to see how I reacted to each food. Some foods I could have in moderation, like berries, and some not at all, like grapes. Once I understood how my body was reacting to what I ate I have been able have normal blood sugar numbers.

We are each so different so your results may be different from mine. So arm yourself with as much information as you can and know that you can have control.

And avail yourself to the vast amount of experience this forum can offer you. I know I have learned as much, if not more, from the people here than any other source.
omg! I just checked "why we get fat" out from the library!

My daughter just read it and told me that I had to read it. Yet another wonderful thing about my diagnosis is that one of my daughters (the one who told me about this book) has known from the minute I was diagnosed that she better watch things herself so it didn't creep up on her like it did me. I guess my diagnosis saved her life as well as my own. As a mom.. I am thrilled! <3

I can eat several strawberries but can't look at an orange or any high sugar fruit. But I only eat the strawberries when I seem to be craving a dessert, I can get those nutrients from other foods w/o the sugars. So I'm good with that.
helenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:10 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: U.S.
Posts: 381
Gallery: Widget
I was diagnosed with prediabetes 2 years ago. Being new at this, there are some things you need to know. When it comes to food, carbohydrates are the thing that will take our blood sugar up the highest.

Inside the pancreas are things called beta cells, they produce insulin. When our blood sugar is at 140 or above, it can cause damage to the beta cells, causing our pancreas to produce less and less insulin, until you are a full-blown diabetic. At a bg of 140 and above, almost all of the organs of our body can be affected, and that is where the diabetic complications come in. The only way to keep it from progressing and avoid complications is to keep our bg below 140.

My doc didn't tell me to test, but I bought a cheap meter and strips at Walmart, because there is no way to control our blood sugar if we don't know what it is. I test fasting, then test 1 and 2 hours after taking the first bite of food. If either of those readings is 140 or above, I eat less carbs at my next meal. Before long, I knew what foods I could and could not eat and how many carbs I could eat per meal and still control my blood sugar. This is called eating to your meter. Once I had that information, as long as I stick with it, I am able to cut down on the amount of testing I do.
Widget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:41 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 10
Gallery: ventnor1
I have diabetes, also.

Hi All;
Oh, can I relate. Thank you so much for the titles of the books. Will send one to one of my sons who is pre-diabetic. I have been in the best endochronologists offices in the Philly area and up until the last doctor, they all told me to limit fat and eat about 130 carbs a day. In the last twenty years, they have given me tons of medicine which made me FAT. Because of their recommendations, I gained over 45 pounds. Last year I ended up in the hospital with colitis and then started reading everything I could about diet and nutrition. I read the "Wheat Belly" which was wonderful --highly scientific but made so much sense. I started down that road but my BS remained high. Then I read the "Blood Sugar Solution." All good but so strict with little choices. Then I picked up the Volume one of "Low-carbing Among Friends" and "1001 Low-carb Recipes" by Dana Carpender. These books made me realize that I can only tolerate 20 or less carbs a day. Once I made the transition, I found my BS go way down (very close to normal). I am still on insulin but I am taking less and less and the stricter I get, the less insulin I need. I test 4x a day. Now, after really keeping my carbs under 20, I have lost seven pounds. I can't go back. I have a diet rich in good food. I have made good breads way low in carbs and I am cooking up a storm. This is a forever haul and I need to be around people who are experiencing the same things. Please forgive my rant, but it's been a long road with so many curves.
ventnor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: U.S.
Posts: 381
Gallery: Widget
Quote:
Originally Posted by ventnor1 View Post
Hi All;
Oh, can I relate. Thank you so much for the titles of the books. Will send one to one of my sons who is pre-diabetic. I have been in the best endochronologists offices in the Philly area and up until the last doctor, they all told me to limit fat and eat about 130 carbs a day. In the last twenty years, they have given me tons of medicine which made me FAT. Because of their recommendations, I gained over 45 pounds. Last year I ended up in the hospital with colitis and then started reading everything I could about diet and nutrition. I read the "Wheat Belly" which was wonderful --highly scientific but made so much sense. I started down that road but my BS remained high. Then I read the "Blood Sugar Solution." All good but so strict with little choices. Then I picked up the Volume one of "Low-carbing Among Friends" and "1001 Low-carb Recipes" by Dana Carpender. These books made me realize that I can only tolerate 20 or less carbs a day. Once I made the transition, I found my BS go way down (very close to normal). I am still on insulin but I am taking less and less and the stricter I get, the less insulin I need. I test 4x a day. Now, after really keeping my carbs under 20, I have lost seven pounds. I can't go back. I have a diet rich in good food. I have made good breads way low in carbs and I am cooking up a storm. This is a forever haul and I need to be around people who are experiencing the same things. Please forgive my rant, but it's been a long road with so many curves.
What a relief it must be for you to finally be on the right track, and to know that your diabetes no longer controls you, you control it. Congratulations and keep up the good work.
Widget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:09 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member
 
Chuck41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Hot Springs, AR
Posts: 254
Gallery: Chuck41
Stats: 6'2"-250/213.5/195
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: Dec, 31, 2012
Ventnor1, I feel your pain. I rescued myself just in the nick of time before becoming a full fledged diabetic. My blood tests are back in the normal range again and I am down about 35#. Got another 20 to go. I have learned that it is relatively easy for me to maintain my weight now, but to actually lose I have to keep it below 20 carbs A day.

Still 20# to go, but I am in no great hurry now. Am healthy and feel good, clothes fit much better and I take no meds. Not many 72 year olds can say that! I just had lunch at Golden Coral and topped it off with a piece of chocolate cream pie! That won't happen again for months. I will pay for it on the scales in the morning, but I will be back on my 20 carbs by then so it won't stay around long.

I have read all of Atkins' books and the "continuing weight loss" just doesn't apply to me. I don't count carbs, or calories consistently, but can see approximitely where I am. It appears that the maximum to lose is something shy of 30 carbs and the ketostix tell me ketosis is a bit shy of 20 carbs. Used to make low carb breads, but decided it is not worthwhile to me. Just get some low carb wraps occasionally.

It is such a joy to no longer have to strain to get out of a chair or to walk up the hill from my pond. There is no way I would go back to the old way of eating. Life is so much more rewarding now!

Last edited by Chuck41; 10-01-2013 at 03:14 PM..
Chuck41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:12 AM   #15
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 10
Gallery: ventnor1
On the right track!

Thank you Widget and Chuck41 for your kind words. This morning my BS was 100--not bad!! It's like a marathon that I've just begun, but LC/SF and mostly gluten free is my way. Chuck you are so right about under 20 carbs--it just seems like the magic number!! Good luck both of you. I intend to take a walk on the beach today. Hope you both find a beautiful place to enjoy!
ventnor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:40 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 10
Gallery: ventnor1
low-carb/sf/gluten-free bread machine recipes

Hi Everyone;
Is there such a thing? Any recipes that meet those specifications?
ventnor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:24 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: U.S.
Posts: 381
Gallery: Widget
According to the book that came with my bread machine, when it comes to yeast bread, gluten and sugar or honey is required to make bread rise. Some of the low carb recipes call for vital wheat gluten.

If you are willing to experiment, you can try making low-carb, gluten-free quick breads in your bread machine. For me, since quick bread doesn't have to be kneaded, it is easier to bake it in the oven. When diabetes came along, I gave my bread machine to my granddaughter.
Widget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:47 AM   #18
FLUFF'S FAVORITE BUBBE!!!
 
helenback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: What am I doing in this basket and why is it so warm in here????
Posts: 3,290
Gallery: helenback
Quote:
Originally Posted by ventnor1 View Post
Hi All;
Oh, can I relate. Thank you so much for the titles of the books. Will send one to one of my sons who is pre-diabetic. I have been in the best endochronologists offices in the Philly area and up until the last doctor, they all told me to limit fat and eat about 130 carbs a day. In the last twenty years, they have given me tons of medicine which made me FAT. Because of their recommendations, I gained over 45 pounds. Last year I ended up in the hospital with colitis and then started reading everything I could about diet and nutrition. I read the "Wheat Belly" which was wonderful --highly scientific but made so much sense. I started down that road but my BS remained high. Then I read the "Blood Sugar Solution." All good but so strict with little choices. Then I picked up the Volume one of "Low-carbing Among Friends" and "1001 Low-carb Recipes" by Dana Carpender. These books made me realize that I can only tolerate 20 or less carbs a day. Once I made the transition, I found my BS go way down (very close to normal). I am still on insulin but I am taking less and less and the stricter I get, the less insulin I need. I test 4x a day. Now, after really keeping my carbs under 20, I have lost seven pounds. I can't go back. I have a diet rich in good food. I have made good breads way low in carbs and I am cooking up a storm. This is a forever haul and I need to be around people who are experiencing the same things. Please forgive my rant, but it's been a long road with so many curves.

Good for you! I know what you mean! It is super exciting to finally "own it", to know that you are on the right track!

helenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:12 AM   #19
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 10
Gallery: ventnor1
Good beautiful morning;
I did find a recipe in the low-carb recipe section for bread machines. It's Wheat Sandwich bread. As soon as I can calculate grams to ounces, I will make the bread today and let you know how it tastes. I will include the recipe with ounces once i figure it out.
God bless!
ventnor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:24 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: U.S.
Posts: 381
Gallery: Widget
Quote:
Originally Posted by ventnor1 View Post
I did find a recipe in the low-carb recipe section for bread machines. It's Wheat Sandwich bread.
Sorry, I must have misunderstood your earlier post. I thought you wanted a gluten-free recipe. Wheat and wheat flour has gluten in it.
Widget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:22 PM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!
 
pawleys14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Pawleys Island, SC
Posts: 6,048
Gallery: pawleys14
Stats: 305/277.8/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarting August 11, 2013
wow what great info... thanks
pawleys14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:44 PM   #22
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 10
Gallery: barb123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck41 View Post
My wife's mother went into the nursing home a few years back and was put on a diabetic diet. We went in and found they gave her a meal with a tiny portion of meat along with bread, potatoes, peas, a fruit, and a small sugar free cake for dessert. They insisted that was an approved diabetic diet because of the total daily calories.
Really smart. People become diabetic because of excessive consumption of sugar and other starches so their cure is to restrict fat? If you believe that I have a great deal on a bridge you might be interested in.
I was in the hospital with a bad lung infection then went to a nursing home as I was very week. In both places they knew I was a diabetic (2). What they gave me to eat I finally questioned as my sugar readings was always high. I was told that a diatition selects my food for me every day, I had to eat it. I finally threw a fit, took over my won care, my sugar dropped and I was dicharged in 2 days when not yet ready to go home. Most people are not able to say anything or if can from a time frame they are to keep their mouth shut, family are told the Dr knows best or knows what they are doing when the dr's do not even know what is eaten. I realized they do what they do just to charge for the insulin, thye do not care what the high readings do to you or if they make you a flat out diabetic. This is something I am still planning on having investigated as it is fdraud and messing with a perons life.
I am just now doing this, or I would have seen your post sooner, I hope you see this.
barb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:20 AM   #23
FLUFF'S FAVORITE BUBBE!!!
 
helenback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: What am I doing in this basket and why is it so warm in here????
Posts: 3,290
Gallery: helenback
Quote:
Originally Posted by barb123 View Post
I was in the hospital with a bad lung infection then went to a nursing home as I was very week. In both places they knew I was a diabetic (2). What they gave me to eat I finally questioned as my sugar readings was always high. I was told that a diatition selects my food for me every day, I had to eat it. I finally threw a fit, took over my won care, my sugar dropped and I was dicharged in 2 days when not yet ready to go home. Most people are not able to say anything or if can from a time frame they are to keep their mouth shut, family are told the Dr knows best or knows what they are doing when the dr's do not even know what is eaten. I realized they do what they do just to charge for the insulin, thye do not care what the high readings do to you or if they make you a flat out diabetic. This is something I am still planning on having investigated as it is fdraud and messing with a perons life.
I am just now doing this, or I would have seen your post sooner, I hope you see this.
In 2002/03 I was lowcarbing and had to have hernia surgery. I told dr. I was concerned about the foods they would bring. He said, I'll put you on diabetic food diet. The very first meal they brought me was some nasty piece of chicken, mashed potatoes, corn and bread. I made them leave the tray. When dr came in the next morning I tore off the lid and asked him... "so the medical profession is trying to kill off the diabetics or what????"

I don't think they are intentionally "out to get us". But I sincerely believe that given the fact that the ADA and medical community refuses to budge off the deadly 55/60% carb amounts, if we intend to live remotely healthy each of us must learn all we can and fight for what is right for us to keep blood sugars normal. Our life and our limbs depend on it.
helenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:22 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!
 
Aomiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,569
Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
I guess I would suggest reading Dr. Bernstein's "The Diabetes Solution." Or at least skimming it or reading articles on it. Dr. Bernstein would NOT endorse the Diabetes recipes you're finding in your mag. He is a low carb advocate, and has much to base this on, including the success he's had fighting his own diabetes.


Whenever I'm going through the checkout and have to wait in line, I'll pick up one of the Diabetic cooking magazines for a good laugh. It's the typical garbage spouted by the ADA, low fat, no sugar but hey you can have up to 140gm (some say more) of carbs per day. Oh yeah...I'd still be on insulin and still out of control.

Dr. Bernstein all the way. I truly believe that discovering his book is the only reason I have an A1c of 4.9. Don't get me wrong. I love Atkins but his book is not geared for the special needs of diabetics.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:27 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!
 
Aomiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,569
Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenback View Post
The very first meal they brought me was some nasty piece of chicken, mashed potatoes, corn and bread. I made them leave the tray. When dr came in the next morning I tore off the lid and asked him... "so the medical profession is trying to kill off the diabetics or what????"
Ok...that got an actual 'out loud' laugh from me. I'd never considered that possibility. Maybe they're in cahoots with the insurance companies to get us off their rolls.

I had the same experience when I landed in their short term (48 hour) admittance for an infection last spring. The hospital doc and nutritionist came in (my A1c was still around 10 at that point) and said they were ordering a diabetic diet. When I saw the diet, I kind of started laughing (ok...that didn't get us off on the right foot) and I told them to take off the restrictions. At first, they refused until I told them I'd just have my husband bring in my meals. Then I explained to them that I was doing low carb per Dr. Bernstein's "Diabetes solution" (no surprise they'd not heard of him) and that if I followed their diet, I'd be back on insulin. The dumbass doctor actually said, "That's what they make medicine for."
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:36 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!
 
Aomiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,569
Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widget View Post
I test fasting, then test 1 and 2 hours after taking the first bite of food. If either of those readings is 140 or above, I eat less carbs at my next meal. Before long, I knew what foods I could and could not eat and how many carbs I could eat per meal and still control my blood sugar. This is called eating to your meter. Once I had that information, as long as I stick with it, I am able to cut down on the amount of testing I do.
Curious where you heard about this approach since your blood sugar may be 140 after your meal but by the next meal may be significantly lower. The best way to test is right before your meal. Reducing your carbs at this meal would be more effective and should lead to the lower reading 2 hours after the meal.

Just a note...with a BG of 140 or higher, most 'experts' would put you in the diabetic (not prediabetic) range.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:39 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!
 
Aomiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,569
Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenback View Post
When taking my blood sugars I learned that I my b.s. tends to peak at 2 hrs and then go back down at 3 hrs. (unlike the 1 hr/2 hrs) I was expecting. Someone on this board, explained that meant that my sugars were rising slowly instead of a fast spike and that is a good thing! I was so grateful to learn that!
Helen,
This is my experience as well. My peak was 2 hours but by 3 hours it was (and still is) always back to pre-meal numbers.

The only difference now is that instead of my blood sugar spiking as much as 20-30 points, now it only peaks at no more than 15 above my normal of 85-90.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:46 PM   #28
FLUFF'S FAVORITE BUBBE!!!
 
helenback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: What am I doing in this basket and why is it so warm in here????
Posts: 3,290
Gallery: helenback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aomiel View Post
Ok...that got an actual 'out loud' laugh from me. I'd never considered that possibility. Maybe they're in cahoots with the insurance companies to get us off their rolls.

I had the same experience when I landed in their short term (48 hour) admittance for an infection last spring. The hospital doc and nutritionist came in (my A1c was still around 10 at that point) and said they were ordering a diabetic diet. When I saw the diet, I kind of started laughing (ok...that didn't get us off on the right foot) and I told them to take off the restrictions. At first, they refused until I told them I'd just have my husband bring in my meals. Then I explained to them that I was doing low carb per Dr. Bernstein's "Diabetes solution" (no surprise they'd not heard of him) and that if I followed their diet, I'd be back on insulin. The dumbass doctor actually said, "That's what they make medicine for."
lawdy, lawdy! I don't know why the medical profession doesn't wake up and smell the lowcarb steak and cauliflower! If a "mere" patient can figure it out, why can't they. I get that the ADA doesn't want to admit that they were wrong, no matter how many people it kills. But I'm sorry there has been 30 or 40 years of the numbers going totally off the charts. If it is broke! FIX IT!! helllllllllllllllllllllllo isn't working!

You are absolutely right, you would be on insulin again! And I did the same thing, I told them to bring me what I circled because if they didn't I'd just have food brought in! We don't call the hubby pack mule for nothing!

I'm not losing the amount of weight that I thought I would in 9 weeks (considering how much I have to lose) but I am KNOW I am doing completely right, because my B.S numbers are awesome!
helenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:55 PM   #29
FLUFF'S FAVORITE BUBBE!!!
 
helenback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: What am I doing in this basket and why is it so warm in here????
Posts: 3,290
Gallery: helenback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aomiel View Post
Helen,
This is my experience as well. My peak was 2 hours but by 3 hours it was (and still is) always back to pre-meal numbers.

The only difference now is that instead of my blood sugar spiking as much as 20-30 points, now it only peaks at no more than 15 above my normal of 85-90.
That is my goal is for 100% of my readings to be no more than 15 points above pre-meal reading. Of course, I'm still on the learning curve, so I have had a few go a bit over that, but if they go more than 30 points, I put that food on the do not eat again list.

I explained to a lady this weekend(who is a diabetic on pills/insulin etc.. she said she just couldn't diet! ) that I am not on a diet, I have just eliminated poison from my body. I wouldn't eat or drink comet, drano or anti-freeze, so why would I eat or drink foods/drinks that are poison to my system!! Do I want more choices? You bet! But there are some foods that we absolutely know are poison, so I don't have to try those.

The thing that frustrates me is that insurance won't pay for more than one test strip a day because I am not on medications!! pfffffffft! Okay, so I shouldn't test and won't know what my sugars are doing and then they can amputate a limb???? IDIOTS!!

I told my kids from now on, just buy me a couple of boxes of testing strips on amazon for birthdays and xmas. lol
helenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:53 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!
 
Aomiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,569
Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenback View Post
The thing that frustrates me is that insurance won't pay for more than one test strip a day because I am not on medications!! pfffffffft! Okay, so I shouldn't test and won't know what my sugars are doing and then they can amputate a limb???? IDIOTS!!
I just switched to a different meter because I was using a Relion and the strips were $40 for 100 of them. My insurance won't pay for strips at all because you can buy them over the counter.

Anyway, I just bought another 'newer' Relion meter for $9 and the test strips are $9 for 50 so I'm paying half of what I used to.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:58 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.