Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Diabetes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2013, 12:18 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jrw85705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aomiel View Post
I just switched to a different meter because I was using a Relion and the strips were $40 for 100 of them. My insurance won't pay for strips at all because you can buy them over the counter.

Anyway, I just bought another 'newer' Relion meter for $9 and the test strips are $9 for 50 so I'm paying half of what I used to.
Let us know how the Relion works. I tried it and got very high readings when compared to my Free Style. I went through at least four boxes of strips and couldn't get consistent reading.
Jrw85705 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2013, 02:57 PM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Jrw,
The reality about any meter is that they are *allowed* to have a a +/- error of 20% because they only have to meet 'industry standards'...and that is the standard in the industry. The cost of the meter does not mean the meter will be more accurate. Sadly, the reviews (like Consumer Reports) are inaccurate in themselves (the ADA says this in one of their recent reports):

"Those measures of accuracy are apples and oranges. “It’s not possible [for a consumer] to do a direct comparison of how accurate one meter is to another,” says Katie Serrano, supervisory biologist and diabetes branch chief at the Food and Drug Administration’s Center for Devices and Radiological Health. “We’ve seen cases where cheaper meters don’t necessarily have all the bells and whistles, but have better accuracy.” She says users have to evaluate all of the features that are important to them.

Testing a meter’s accuracy requires a controlled laboratory setting and at least hospital-grade equipment. It must be done without human error—something that’s difficult to control in real-world glucose monitoring, no matter how diligent you are."

Overall, my meter seems to do pretty well. Infrequently, I'll get a really high (or low) number that I know doesn't make sense and I'll retest and discover it was one of the +/- times. Not much we can do about that. The best we can do is be as diligent as possible about what we consume and track our numbers (and medication if taking).
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:02 PM   #33
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: AbsolutWoman
Question: How long after you eat something should you check your blood to see if it has been affected? I have bought the Dreamfields pasta and want to see its behavior.
AbsolutWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:41 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ronnie51
Good luck with Dreamfields Pasta. I read there is a class action lawsuit against them for lying about how low carb it is.
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:25 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsolutWoman View Post
Question: How long after you eat something should you check your blood to see if it has been affected? I have bought the Dreamfields pasta and want to see its behavior.
I was told to check my blood 2 hours after meals, but that was while I was on insulin at meals. Once I stopped taking the mealtime insulin, I noticed it took 3 hours to get back to normal. Now that I'm off all meds, it doesn't go up as high after eating and it's back to normal within about an hour. Although if I test 3 hours after, it's even lower. Something I keep an eye on.

So I'd check at the 1 hr, 2 hr and 3 hr mark.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:03 AM   #36
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: AbsolutWoman
Quote:
I was told to check my blood 2 hours after meals, but that was while I was on insulin at meals. Once I stopped taking the mealtime insulin, I noticed it took 3 hours to get back to normal. Now that I'm off all meds, it doesn't go up as high after eating and it's back to normal within about an hour. Although if I test 3 hours after, it's even lower. Something I keep an eye on.

So I'd check at the 1 hr, 2 hr and 3 hr mark.
Thank you madam. I will do a baseline on a normal low carb meal and the next time we eat the noodles check against it.
AbsolutWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:21 PM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenback View Post
In 2002/03 I was lowcarbing and had to have hernia surgery. I told dr. I was concerned about the foods they would bring. He said, I'll put you on diabetic food diet. The very first meal they brought me was some nasty piece of chicken, mashed potatoes, corn and bread. I made them leave the tray. When dr came in the next morning I tore off the lid and asked him... "so the medical profession is trying to kill off the diabetics or what????"

This reminds me of 3-4 years ago when my hubby (dx'd D Type 2 almost 8 yrs. ago), was in the hospital over night. We went to pick him up around noon time the next day. On his lunch tray was a partial sandwich, on white bread and a fruit cup. Of course I had to make a comment like... "what's with the white bread, he's diabetic?" I wasn't happy.

Thankfully I've learned a Lot in the last almost 8 years. The nutritionist at that time told him to eat 45-75 carbs Per Meal - 135-225 carbs - And a 15 carb snack. I have continued leaning since then and am constantly reading about nutrition and low/lower carb eating. It's definitely an education and an adventure.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:32 AM   #38
FLUFF'S FAVORITE BUBBE!!!

Location: What am I doing in this basket and why is it so warm in here????
Gallery: helenback
oops... wrong one..

Last edited by helenback; 11-13-2013 at 06:34 AM..
helenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:49 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by watcher513 View Post
This reminds me of 3-4 years ago when my hubby (dx'd D Type 2 almost 8 yrs. ago), was in the hospital over night. We went to pick him up around noon time the next day. On his lunch tray was a partial sandwich, on white bread and a fruit cup. Of course I had to make a comment like... "what's with the white bread, he's diabetic?" I wasn't happy.

Thankfully I've learned a Lot in the last almost 8 years. The nutritionist at that time told him to eat 45-75 carbs Per Meal - 135-225 carbs - And a 15 carb snack. I have continued leaning since then and am constantly reading about nutrition and low/lower carb eating. It's definitely an education and an adventure.
It is just mind-boggling what the ada/nutritionists and medical community foists off on diabetics. If they diagnosed someone as an alcoholic they wouldn't suggest that the cure involved having 3 beers a day, so why do they insist on us eating 135 or more carbs a day?? WTH are they thinking???

I say that I don't blame the drs for just going by what the ADA suggests, but in reality, I say that is bull-crap. If they are smart enough to complete med-school, then they should be smart enough to learn the dynamics of diabetes.

You are right, it really is an adventure!

I can be powerful or I can be pitiful! I choose powerful!
Old 11-13-2013, 10:59 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sarahatl
WOE: No Flour No Sugar
Start Date: May 2013
Quote:
Ok...that got an actual 'out loud' laugh from me. I'd never considered that possibility. Maybe they're in cahoots with the insurance companies to get us off their rolls.

I had the same experience when I landed in their short term (48 hour) admittance for an infection last spring. The hospital doc and nutritionist came in (my A1c was still around 10 at that point) and said they were ordering a diabetic diet. When I saw the diet, I kind of started laughing (ok...that didn't get us off on the right foot) and I told them to take off the restrictions. At first, they refused until I told them I'd just have my husband bring in my meals. Then I explained to them that I was doing low carb per Dr. Bernstein's "Diabetes solution" (no surprise they'd not heard of him) and that if I followed their diet, I'd be back on insulin. The dumbass doctor actually said, "That's what they make medicine for."
Wow...this is amazing ...the older I get I realize you really need to take care of yourself and cannot go with most doctors advice when it comes to BS....education is power.
sarahatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:25 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahatl View Post
Wow...this is amazing ...the older I get I realize you really need to take care of yourself and cannot go with most doctors advice when it comes to BS....education is power.
You are 100% correct! You have to learn everything you possibly can about this subject and then do what works for you. I think diabetes is somewhat like Autism (I have to austic grandbabies).. in that no two cases are the same. There are so many variances that come into play. The one solid fact for any diabetic is that the ADA guidelines are a joke.