Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Diabetes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2013, 10:03 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kenzie9
Low Carb & Insulin - BS Still High

So something has changed with me the last couple of weeks and I don't know what the problem could be or what to do about it. Even if I eat almost no carbs and take my insulin, my blood sugar is still high. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it - in fact, the other day, I blew it and skipped 2 doses of insulin and still my blood sugar was the same as if I'd taken it. An example of what I'm talking about - this morning, my fasting bs was 282 (yes, high I know, I'm having a very hard time getting it all the way down)...anyway, 282 fasting. Took 12 units of fast acting insulin then had two scrambled eggs with butter and a cup of coffee with heavy whipping cream and 1 splenda packet. Tested 4 hours later and my blood sugar was 284. What the heck? This has been happening here and there lately and I don't understand it. Any thoughts?
kenzie9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2013, 11:29 AM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
it sounds like your insulin got too warm and was ruined. you need to get a new batch and try it.

maybe you could get a sample from your doctor to try this!

it could be as simple as the particular pen (or jar?) you are using, or maybe the whole box was mishandled somewhere along its way to you. not hard to do in the summertime

if the new batch is still not doing it, you just aren't taking enough! but 12 units of fast acting is a lot of insulin. for me, I would have to eat something like a half pound of pasta with that to avoid excessive lows. but then I am taking a fair amount of long lasting insulin too.

you really do need to deal with those high numbers. the long term damage that can do is just not something to fiddle with.

are you on Metformin too? that helps some.

best of luck with this! *hug*
Old 09-20-2013, 12:33 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Oh! I hadn't thought of that but, with the 100* weather here, that could be the case. And, yes, I've been on Metformin for about 5 or 6 years until the past few months when my DR said she woudln't refill until I came in for blood work. I haven't been able to afford the $75 co-pay or the almost $400 in lab work that my insurance won't cover so I've been off both my Met and the Levothyroxin that I was taking for my thyroid. Sucks...I have seen a change in my blood sugar numbers since not taking the Metformin.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:19 AM   #4

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I just thought of something else... while it's probably that the insulin got too hot, it could also have gotten too cold in your refrigerator. In mine I am careful to keep it away from the back of the refrigerator which is too cold.

Have you talked to your doctor about not being able to afford the tests? Can s/he suggest a clinic where you can get your meds without so much money? If it were me, I would ask if there is anything else I can do that would let her give me the prescriptions. Doesn't hurt to ask! You might need to tell the doctor some of the other things you are doing without because of your financial situation too. I think many are reluctant to take "can't afford it" at face value. Best of luck!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:15 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Oh, good point! I will definitely call and explain our situation a little bit. Basically, my insurance premiums went way up this year to the point that we were only able to afford the bottom rung. The bottom rung covers almost nothing except in the case of a major emergency or illness....so, what can you do. Maybe she'll work with me. Regardless, you're right, I need to find SOMEONE who will work with me on this...thanks for the tips.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:21 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BABSY
Are you taking the fast acting insulin or long acting
BABSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:05 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

I'm taking the short-acting...
Old 10-09-2013, 04:34 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nill4me
Stats: 244/233/160-ish
WOE: LCHF/NK
Start Date: 9/9/13
I feel for you and wish you luck!
nill4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:59 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BABSY
Metformin does make a difference. Maybe you could go to one of those lab places. They are cheaper than the doctors office. I always make the doctor make up a lab slip for an outside lab place.
BABSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:01 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenzie9 View Post
this morning, my fasting bs was 282 (yes, high I know, I'm having a very hard time getting it all the way down)...anyway, 282 fasting. Took 12 units of fast acting insulin
It took me forever to understand this and I may not be able to explain it right, but here we go...

When I first started taking insulin, I had BG over 300. So my doctor put me on a long acting insulin - Lantus. Supposedly, you take it once every 24 hours but I found (as many people do) that it works best when the dose is divided up into two doses taken once in the morning and once in the evening. However, since I was still eating a high carb diet, she ended up putting me on a rapid acting - Humalog - to deal with the carbs.

What I discovered over that first month, is that I was able to discontinue the Humalog completely because it was the Lantus - the long acting - that controlled my BG throughout the day, keeping it fairly stable. At about the 2 month mark (can't remember now), I had to quit taking it completely because I was having crashes in the middle of the night even though I was only taking 5-10 units in the morning. Sure my BG was still in the 115-125 range without insulin for awhile, but now (9 months later), my insulin resistance has reversed and I don't have to take any meds to keep it around 90.

My point being that if you're eating consistent low carb, then the fast acting is probably not appropriate and you need a long acting to keep you stable through the day. The fast acting will only work for 2-3 hours and was designed for use when consuming carbs. My doc still has a standing prescription on file for my Humalog which she said I will probably need (maybe) if I start eating carbs at meals...and that's what it is for...at meals.

Ok, that's the simple explanation and hope I didn't leave anything out.

Type 2 controlled by low carb diet <25gm carbs and and controlled protein.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote