Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Diabetes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2013, 01:02 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 204
Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
WOE: Low Carb
Type 2 Diabetes Magically turns into Type 1!

Warning: rant ahead!

I just watched a video about people with diabetes who were eating to better control their blood glucose levels so that they could reduce or come off insulin. Well, this one fellow in the video said that after he changed his diet, his doctor changed the diagnosis from Type 2 to Type 1...

In my opinion, this doctor should be fired. T2 and T1 have different causes and different rules to control them. I bet this "doctor" didn't even run any blood tests to show that there were anti-insulin antibodies in his blood. If there are, then it's T1. If not, then it's T2. Am I a better doctor than this guy's doctor?

What the heck is the deal with doctors NOT BOTHERING to properly test for and diagnose a health condition that is EASY to diagnose???? T1 is one of the easiest; all you need to do is run that blood test that shows if the patient has insulin antibodies! What is wrong with the world???

/end rant
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2013, 03:25 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 655
Gallery: Ronnie51
As I get older and become more involved with my and my family's healthcare (thanks to the Internet), I'm also seeing more and more how doctors screw up. Anyway, I'm guessing that this man was diagnosed around or after middle age so the doctor may have assumed it is type 2, or as it used to be called "adult onset diabetes". I also have a friend who was diagnosed after age 50, but his doctor did the necessary tests and it turns out he has type 1. Anyway, this is another example of people needing to learn more about their diagnoses, taking charge of their health and remembering to ask questions.
Ronnie51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: U.S.
Posts: 382
Gallery: Widget
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie51 View Post
I'm guessing that this man was diagnosed around or after middle age so the doctor may have assumed it is type 2, or as it used to be called "adult onset diabetes".
That's right. And since doctors are taught that type 2 is caused by being overweight, many of them assume if someone is fat, it's type 2.

For some type 1's there is a period of time called a honeymoon where they have been diagnosed with diabetes, and their pancreas still produces insulin for a while. The length of time differs and not all type 1's enjoy a honeymoon. But partly because of this, it isn't uncommon for type 1's to be misdiagnosed as type 2.
Widget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:56 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 204
Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
WOE: Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie51 View Post
As I get older and become more involved with my and my family's healthcare (thanks to the Internet), I'm also seeing more and more how doctors screw up. Anyway, I'm guessing that this man was diagnosed around or after middle age so the doctor may have assumed it is type 2, or as it used to be called "adult onset diabetes". I also have a friend who was diagnosed after age 50, but his doctor did the necessary tests and it turns out he has type 1. Anyway, this is another example of people needing to learn more about their diagnoses, taking charge of their health and remembering to ask questions.
Nope, this guy was a young man and he was slim, not fat. Doctors think they can diagnose you just by taking a look at you I suppose. Accurate diagnoses are extremely important; peoples' quality of life is on the line.

I am about to get thyroid testing, and if it shows that I have a thyroid problem, this will mean that for the past decade I've been taking antidepressant medication that I didn't need to take and that i was misdiagnosed because of doctors that are trained to hand out prescriptions like candy without verifying the accuracy of their diagnoses and allowing people's true conditions to degenerate. Irresponsible and dangerous.
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:06 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 91
Gallery: skinni
Correct me if I'm wrong, because I really don't know... but doesn't late stage Type II turn into Type I? (It wouldn't surprise me if this happened after being told to eat whole grains all day.)
skinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:08 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: U.S.
Posts: 382
Gallery: Widget
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking View Post
I am about to get thyroid testing, and if it shows that I have a thyroid problem, this will mean that for the past decade I've been taking antidepressant medication that I didn't need to take and that i was misdiagnosed because of doctors that are trained to hand out prescriptions like candy without verifying the accuracy of their diagnoses and allowing people's true conditions to degenerate. Irresponsible and dangerous.
Amen to that. Best of luck with the test. Here is hoping all turns out well for you.
Widget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:12 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: U.S.
Posts: 382
Gallery: Widget
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinni View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, because I really don't know... but doesn't late stage Type II turn into Type I?
Type 1 and 2 are totally different. There is such a thing as double diabetes where a person has elements of both types.
Widget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:32 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 204
Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
WOE: Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinni View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, because I really don't know... but doesn't late stage Type II turn into Type I? (It wouldn't surprise me if this happened after being told to eat whole grains all day.)
In type 1 diabetes, the body's immune system is confused and mistakenly attacks the pancreas beta cells that produce insulin. Eventually all the beta cells die off due to this attack. In type 2 diabetes, the immune system is not attacking the beta cells.

In type 2 diabetes, the pancreas produces less insulin over time as the disease degenerates. But this is not because of an autoimmune attack against the beta cells. I am not sure why it happens; perhaps someone else knows.
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:38 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: U.S.
Posts: 382
Gallery: Widget
In type 2, extended periods of high blood glucose damages and can eventually kill some of the beta cells.
Widget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:57 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 204
Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
WOE: Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widget View Post
In type 2, extended periods of high blood glucose damages and can eventually kill some of the beta cells.
Oh yeah that's right. I had read that before. So it's like a vicious cycle: diabetes causes high blood glucose levels which then damage more beta cells which then causes even more glucose to remain in the blood which then damages more beta cells. A low-carb diet would cause less glucose to be in the blood stream and would probably slow or stop the progression of T2 diabetes.
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:08 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!
 
Moonchild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: So. Ga.
Posts: 2,202
Gallery: Moonchild
Stats: (272 first go around) 219/190/180
WOE: LC
Start Date: restart Sept 02, 2013
There is also type 1.5 :
aka Slow Onset Type 1 and LADA

Type 1.5 is one of several names now applied to those who are diagnosed with diabetes as adults, but who do not immediately require insulin for treatment, are often not overweight, and have little or no resistance to insulin. When special lab tests are done, they are found to have antibodies, especially GAD65 antibodies, that attack their beta cells. This sort of diabetes is sometimes called Slow Onset Type 1 or Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults or LADA.

About 15% to 20% of people diagnosed as "Type 2" actually have this type. They are often diagnosed as Type 2 because they are older and will initially respond to diabetes medications because they have adequate insulin production.
__________________
"If the problem isn't hunger, food isn't the solution"
Moonchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:58 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 655
Gallery: Ronnie51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonchild View Post
There is also type 1.5 :
aka Slow Onset Type 1 and LADA

Type 1.5 is one of several names now applied to those who are diagnosed with diabetes as adults, but who do not immediately require insulin for treatment, are often not overweight, and have little or no resistance to insulin. When special lab tests are done, they are found to have antibodies, especially GAD65 antibodies, that attack their beta cells. This sort of diabetes is sometimes called Slow Onset Type 1 or Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults or LADA.

About 15% to 20% of people diagnosed as "Type 2" actually have this type. They are often diagnosed as Type 2 because they are older and will initially respond to diabetes medications because they have adequate insulin production.
Thank you for this very informative explanation!
Ronnie51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:06 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1
ok... wow... taking 1st steps here... I am a closet Diabetic with the Diagnosis of Type 1.5 myself and I'll tell ya, the doc's just don't understand us 1.5's.... 1st, I was a type 2 and then after a few years of not really getting this under control a new doctor (I moved to a new state) re-diagnosed me as something new to him.. a Type 1.5 and says it was from virus.... does this sound right? I am doing Low Carb for weight loss and to try to get this under control but not doing real well yet.... Have all of you found that you get treated differently if anyone knows your a diabetic?
Duke Leto Atreides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:21 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: U.S.
Posts: 382
Gallery: Widget
There are two types of 1.5 diabetes... MODY which is rare, and LADA (Latent Autoimmune Diabetes of Adults). If you actually are type 1.5, it is a pretty sure bet that you are type LADA.

Since you say that for your doc, type 1.5 is something new to him, I am wondering if he diagnosed you on the basis of a finger prick and an A1c test. I ask because there are certain tests that can be done to determine whether or not you are type 1.5 It is very important to have the correct diagnosis. I have never heard of 1.5 being caused by a virus. I believe it is genetic.

My advice is to go to the blood sugar 101 website, type LADA in the search box and do some reading.

The bs101 website (considered by many to be the diabetes bible) says if you are type 1.5 it is best to be treated by an endocrinologist.
Widget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:52 AM   #15
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 11
Gallery: soapluvr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking View Post
Nope, this guy was a young man and he was slim, not fat. Doctors think they can diagnose you just by taking a look at you I suppose. Accurate diagnoses are extremely important; peoples' quality of life is on the line.

I am about to get thyroid testing, and if it shows that I have a thyroid problem, this will mean that for the past decade I've been taking antidepressant medication that I didn't need to take and that i was misdiagnosed because of doctors that are trained to hand out prescriptions like candy without verifying the accuracy of their diagnoses and allowing people's true conditions to degenerate. Irresponsible and dangerous.
If this were me I'd be royally pissed off. I really have a healthy fear of doctors.
soapluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:56 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 204
Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
WOE: Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by soapluvr View Post
If this were me I'd be royally pissed off. I really have a healthy fear of doctors.
Oh I know, and I do too. I do not trust doctors for a minute when it comes to my hormones and female oriented issues. I have come to think of doctors as disease management specialists. Once you already have a disease, especially one that is very easy to clearly diagnose, textbook symptoms, etc, then they can help you, but usually only by prescribing a medication or going through surgery.

Now, obviously you and I are not going to perform surgery on ourselves, so we need a doctor at that point. But when if you are a person who has textbook symptoms you can just go online and find out what you have and then go to a doctor 1 time and that is just to get the prescription you need.

Outside of surgery and advanced/complicated tests, I don't see how doctors are actually a help.
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:13 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.