Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Diabetes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2013, 09:12 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
2nd dose of med for the day

Just curious, if your bs is at 100 would you take your second dose of metformin for the day? My Dr. says it's up to me, but I am worried it will drop to low....so, at what number do you decide not to take the 2nd dose? thanks
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2013, 04:09 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
I would but that's just me. But just what would you consider too low ? Rember if you have had high blood sugars for along time getting it in the 80's may feel like it's to low
when it realy isn't.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:48 AM   #3

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
normally metformin doesn't cause low blood sugars. 100 is still relatively high, but then that depends on whether that 100 reading is after you have not eaten for awhile or after a large meal too. unless you have a history of getting readings that are too low, I would not worry about it.

I would define "too low" as under 70. there is nothing wrong with 70, but since the meters can be inaccurate a bit, that is a good safe cushion.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:46 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
normally metformin doesn't cause low blood sugars.
I was told by two different doctors (after having hypoglycemic crashes on Metformin) that it's a common reaction with Metformin.

To the OP, because I know that Metformin caused me to crash, I probably would not take the second dose if I had a 100 on the meter but would check again throughout the day to see if it stays down. If it starts to go up, then I'd take it.

Be aware that the meters also have a +/- error of 15% so even though it says 100, it may actually be higher or lower. Maybe do another test or 2 and see what numbers you come up with.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: barb123
metformin time

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Girl View Post
Just curious, if your bs is at 100 would you take your second dose of metformin for the day? My Dr. says it's up to me, but I am worried it will drop to low....so, at what number do you decide not to take the 2nd dose? thanks
this is my first time responding hope I did right. I take my meds two times a day as directed except I do not take them with meals I take them with a no-or low carb food as a snack amount. I do this as the med takes about 3-4 hours to get in your system to manage carbs. My number can be 80 and I will still take my meds, I do not eat until my number is below 85. works great for me
barb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:03 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BABSY
Quote:
Originally Posted by barb123 View Post
this is my first time responding hope I did right. I take my meds two times a day as directed except I do not take them with meals I take them with a no-or low carb food as a snack amount. I do this as the med takes about 3-4 hours to get in your system to manage carbs. My number can be 80 and I will still take my meds, I do not eat until my number is below 85. works great for me
interesting
BABSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:11 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
Below 85, I would be so afraid of really dropping too low, I def would not take it then, but thanks for the advice.
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote