Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Diabetes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/diabetes/)
-   -   2nd dose of med for the day (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/diabetes/812306-2nd-dose-med-day.html)

That Girl 09-14-2013 09:12 PM

2nd dose of med for the day

Just curious, if your bs is at 100 would you take your second dose of metformin for the day? My Dr. says it's up to me, but I am worried it will drop to low....so, at what number do you decide not to take the 2nd dose? thanks

E.W. 09-15-2013 04:09 AM

I would but that's just me. But just what would you consider too low ? Rember if you have had high blood sugars for along time getting it in the 80's may feel like it's to low
when it realy isn't.

ravenrose 09-15-2013 09:48 AM

normally metformin doesn't cause low blood sugars. 100 is still relatively high, but then that depends on whether that 100 reading is after you have not eaten for awhile or after a large meal too. unless you have a history of getting readings that are too low, I would not worry about it.

I would define "too low" as under 70. there is nothing wrong with 70, but since the meters can be inaccurate a bit, that is a good safe cushion.

Aomiel 09-18-2013 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenrose (Post 16605227)
normally metformin doesn't cause low blood sugars.

I was told by two different doctors (after having hypoglycemic crashes on Metformin) that it's a common reaction with Metformin.

To the OP, because I know that Metformin caused me to crash, I probably would not take the second dose if I had a 100 on the meter but would check again throughout the day to see if it stays down. If it starts to go up, then I'd take it.

Be aware that the meters also have a +/- error of 15% so even though it says 100, it may actually be higher or lower. Maybe do another test or 2 and see what numbers you come up with.

barb123 10-05-2013 02:41 PM

metformin time

Quote:

Originally Posted by That Girl (Post 16604821)
Just curious, if your bs is at 100 would you take your second dose of metformin for the day? My Dr. says it's up to me, but I am worried it will drop to low....so, at what number do you decide not to take the 2nd dose? thanks

this is my first time responding hope I did right. I take my meds two times a day as directed except I do not take them with meals I take them with a no-or low carb food as a snack amount. I do this as the med takes about 3-4 hours to get in your system to manage carbs. My number can be 80 and I will still take my meds, I do not eat until my number is below 85. works great for me

BABSY 10-15-2013 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barb123 (Post 16631873)
this is my first time responding hope I did right. I take my meds two times a day as directed except I do not take them with meals I take them with a no-or low carb food as a snack amount. I do this as the med takes about 3-4 hours to get in your system to manage carbs. My number can be 80 and I will still take my meds, I do not eat until my number is below 85. works great for me

interesting

That Girl 10-15-2013 10:11 PM

Below 85, I would be so afraid of really dropping too low, I def would not take it then, but thanks for the advice.