Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Diabetes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/diabetes/)
-   -   those of you who use metformin- (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/diabetes/811610-those-you-who-use-metformin.html)

flatferenghi 09-05-2013 03:04 PM

those of you who use metformin-

are you cognizant of appetite suppressing properties, and if so, are they long lasting? i think it is what is largely responsible for my newly found ease with portion control. Frankly, i am delighted. I wonder if it will last, or if my body will get used to it. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI

LisaG 09-05-2013 05:58 PM

Good for you! I took it to get pregnant and then remained on it for the first 6 mos. of pregnancy. Guess I can't really say if it helped with my appetite, ha! Didn't exactly stay on plan!

Chocolate Rose 09-05-2013 07:21 PM

I was on it for 1 1/2 years and was aware of the appetite suppression. It was great. I had to go off of it because it was causing my horrendous intestinal issues, though.

ravenrose 09-05-2013 08:39 PM

I never noticed that.

Mistizoom 09-06-2013 05:52 AM

I never noticed any appetite suppression either with metformin when I was eating high carb, and I was on metformin for several years then. Now that I am eating LC I have appetite suppression, but I attribute it to being in ketosis, not to the metformin.

Aomiel 09-06-2013 07:20 AM

Never noticed any appetite suppressant effect while on Metformin. Then again I was so miserably due to the BG crashes it caused, I might not have noticed anyway. :D

Chocolate Rose 09-06-2013 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistizoom (Post 16592468)
I never noticed any appetite suppression either with metformin when I was eating high carb, and I was on metformin for several years then. Now that I am eating LC I have appetite suppression, but I attribute it to being in ketosis, not to the metformin.

I should clarify that I started eating LCHF when I started met. I was aware that I wasn't as hungry as I had been previously and attributed it to the very lc diet. When I had to go off the met, I went through a period of hunger even though I am still very low carb. So, I know that part of the appetite suppression was because of the met. Wish I could go back on it.

Cookingsmylife2 09-06-2013 10:44 AM

Did any of you lose weight on the metformin? If so, how long did it take and how much did you take? I take 500 twice a day. I'm new to it.

Dottie 09-06-2013 10:52 AM

Please remember that Metformin is a prescription drug and no one but your doctor can tell you the dose you should take.

E.W. 09-07-2013 08:58 AM

If you are looking for a weight loss drug don't look at metformin you will be disapointed.
Yes it's use is associated with a slight weight loss in the first year or 2 of use and then
this effect stops. I believe the weight loss was only a verry few pounds in the first year
I forget how many but I think it was about 6 pounds or so and besides about 60% of the
people who use it have lower GI track problems sometimes diarehia. Now if you have daibetes and can handel the GI problems it's a wonderful drug. I wish I could take it but
I am that exception to the rule it made me gain weight VERRY fast I have only heard 2 other people say it made them gain weight.

Weezy 09-07-2013 10:17 AM

I'm one that metformin works for...I've been on it almost 2 years now. However, I am EXTREMELY insulin resistant and it has helped with that. I had been HFLC for about 6 months with no weight loss until I worked my way up to the max dose. Then I SLOWLY started losing weight. Lost about 100 lbs. and have maintained that loss for almost a year now.

For me, it works best eating strict low carb. If I go off and eat sugars and grains, I get intestinal upsets when I take it. Otherwise, it works like a charm.

My fasting glucose is now in the 80s and 90s most mornings. Used to be in the 110s/120s even when eating strict HFLC.

But that's just my experience--I'm severely metabolically damaged from years of starving myself and then binging on sugar and grains. Sigh....if I knew then what I know now! And if I knew how incredibly difficult it would be to lose weight post-menopause, I might have rethought what I was doing decades ago. Oh well...thank goodness for the internet and bulletin boards now!

NAT&RD 09-08-2013 12:37 PM

I've been on metformin about 5 years. I'm diabetic and lost too much weight trying strict low carb diet. Metformin allows me to eat enough carbs to keep weight on and maintain control of BG. When i Started was quesy for a few weeks,, after that, no effect on appetite

memoree 09-09-2013 03:15 PM

I've been on metformin for a year. The doctor said it would help with weight loss but it did nothing for me.

pickles1010 09-11-2013 11:48 AM

Good morning all.
I have been lurking on this board and today I need to shout out to somebody.
Last march I had my labs done and was told my A1C was high and told to take Medformin 2x 1000mg a day. Well, I got @#$% from hell so I stopped.
Started Atkins 72 as in 2004. Today I got the call from DR that my A1C is below 6 and to Keep doing what I am doing.:jumpjoy:
Never will go on med again. She also took the Diuretic away that was in my BP med.BP med cut in half too.