Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Diabetes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 04:08 PM   #31
Major LCF Poster!
 
Aomiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,569
Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie51 View Post
I only weigh 108 pounds and I've exercised consistently my entire life, so it wasn't due to being overweight and/or inactivity. I believe my issues are genetic and diet related, so changed my diet which has helped. I've learned that diet is (almost) everything when it comes to good health, even if you're genetically predisposed.
It's very hard to teach people that you don't become diabetic because you're lazy, overweight and eat sweets/carbs. You can do all those things and never get diabetes if you are not genetically predisposed...and just because family members may have diabetes, it doesn't mean you have the gene for it. On the flip side, you can do all the right things and still develop diabetes.

Maybe one day they'll be able to test for this gene. In the meantime, the best thing we can do if we know it tends to run in our family is teach our children the proper way to eat...just in case.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2013, 04:26 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 771
Gallery: Ronnie51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aomiel View Post
It's very hard to teach people that you don't become diabetic because you're lazy, overweight and eat sweets/carbs. You can do all those things and never get diabetes if you are not genetically predisposed...and just because family members may have diabetes, it doesn't mean you have the gene for it. On the flip side, you can do all the right things and still develop diabetes.

Maybe one day they'll be able to test for this gene. In the meantime, the best thing we can do if we know it tends to run in our family is teach our children the proper way to eat...just in case.
This is something some doctors need to realize too. My husband was quite overweight and his fasting glucose always hovered around 101 - 105, but his A1c was good at 5.5. Our doctor prescribed Metformin for him based on his weight and slightly elevated fasting glucose. I, on the other hand, always tested around 92 - 95 for fasting glucose, but my A1c was creeping up to a high of 5.9 which was enough to scare me into changing my diet. But because I'm thin and fit, my doctor didn't say anything about my A1c being in the prediabetes range and did nothing. I'm convinced that if I hadn't tested my post prandial blood glucose and decide to start low carbing (because I saw that I was carb sensitive), I would eventually develop diabetes, which, as I mentioned, is in my family. So, Melody, you're right on the money about teaching children the proper way to eat, whether diabetes runs in their family or not. It's just a healthier way to eat.

Last edited by Ronnie51; 07-25-2013 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: grammar and spelling
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:01 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 227
Gallery: Jrw85705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie51 View Post
This is something some doctors need to realize too. My husband was quite overweight and his fasting glucose always hovered around 101 - 105, but his A1c was good at 5.5. Our doctor prescribed Metformin for him based on his weight and slightly elevated fasting glucose. I, on the other hand, always tested around 92 - 95 for fasting glucose, but my A1c was creeping up to a high of 5.9 which was enough to scare me into changing my diet. But because I'm thin and fit, my doctor didn't say anything about my A1c being in the prediabetes range and did nothing. I'm convinced that if I hadn't tested my post prandial blood glucose and decide to start low carbing (because I saw that I was carb sensitive), I would eventually develop diabetes, which, as I mentioned, is in my family. So, Melody, you're right on the money about teaching children the proper way to eat, whether diabetes runs in their family or not. It's just a healthier way to eat.
I agree you did the right thing in taking control of your diet. An A1c of 5.9 equals an average blood glucose of 117 which means there are times in the day when you are above that. Even a reading of 5.5 is equal to an average of 105.

Anyone who has ever read any of my post know that I follow Dr. Richard Bernstein's method of treating diabetes. He tries to get his patients at 5.0 or below. The best thing I did was to go low carb and it has worked wonders for me. I know I don't want to suffer from any of the terrible effects of uncontrolled diabetes.

So we are going to keep fighting the fight...because we are worth it.
__________________
________________________________
Ralph
"Don't dwell on what went wrong. Instead, focus on what to do next. Spend your energies on moving forward toward finding the answer."
Denis Waitley
Jrw85705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:50 PM   #34
Major LCF Poster!
 
Aomiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,569
Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie51 View Post
This is something some doctors need to realize too.
That is so true. I had to drive 1.5 hours away just to find a doc who'd work with my diabetes and low carb. I took Dr. Bernstein's book to her and told her that I was aiming for an A1c under 5 and no meds and planned on following the advice in his book. She told me I should not set unrealistic goals. That the medical community is happy if a diabetic *with* meds can get down to 100.

By the end of 2 months following Dr. Bernstein's protocol (although I do not go as low fat as he does), I was off all meds with stable BG's. My last A1c was 4.9 and she was shocked.

I was in the hospital for 48 hours last spring and had to fight the doctor on my diet. They wanted to put me on the ADA diet which is 140gm of carbs and low fat. I told him if I ate that many carbs (not to mention pasta, potatoes and rice), I'd be back on large doses of insulin. The moron's response..."That's what they make insulin for."

.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:56 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 771
Gallery: Ronnie51
Does anyone know why the ADA is still telling diabetics and pre-diabetics to eat "healthy whole grains"? If I eat a "healthy" slice of whole grain wheat bread, my blood sugar spikes. And I haven't been diagnosed as even pre-diabetic. How is this food healthy for a diabetic? Whole wheat is known to be high glycemic.
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:11 PM   #36
Major LCF Poster!
 
Aomiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,569
Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
I have no clue...particularly when there are people like Dr. Bernstein who have been successfully treating diabetics on seriously low carb.

I have a feeling (can't prove it) that it's because they're trying to sell a diet that people are more likely to follow. Let's face it...this is not an easy way of eating. It requires changing not only our perceptions about food, but the perceptions of those around us. We have to take that extra step that is inconvenient (and to many people just not as taste bud satisfying). People don't want to give up their fruit, potatoes, etc. They'd rather just eat it and take more medication.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:04 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 227
Gallery: Jrw85705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aomiel View Post
I have no clue...particularly when there are people like Dr. Bernstein who have been successfully treating diabetics on seriously low carb.

I have a feeling (can't prove it) that it's because they're trying to sell a diet that people are more likely to follow. Let's face it...this is not an easy way of eating. It requires changing not only our perceptions about food, but the perceptions of those around us. We have to take that extra step that is inconvenient (and to many people just not as taste bud satisfying). People don't want to give up their fruit, potatoes, etc. They'd rather just eat it and take more medication.
There is a lot of truth in what you say. I have been with my doctor for over 8 years and we have a very honest relationship. When we've talked about it he said that honestly very few of his patients will stay on any prescribed diet for any length of time. He wasn't being derisive just stating what his experience has been. He still has long time diabetic patients whom he can't get to stop eating candy or drinking soda. And they are on insulin!

So he does the best he can......Ok, if you have to eat bread at least eat whole grain.

I wouldn't want to be in his shoes.
Jrw85705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:48 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 771
Gallery: Ronnie51
It just appears to me that medical organizations such as the ADA don't give people credit for having brains, understanding their situations and making healthy choices. Instead of saying, "you'd be better off staying away from whole wheat, and grains in general because they will spike your blood sugar and you will require more meds," they assume MOST people won't be able to change their diets so they tell them to eat everything in moderation which can cause all sorts of problems. It's like that diet soda study that just came out that said that people have a high risk of obesity and diabetes even if they drink diet soda over regular. They justify this by saying the reason is that when people drink diet soda they make poor food choices either because they think they're saving so many calories and sugar and/or they crave more sweets. They need to give people more credit; yes there are people who don't know how to eat right. But that doesn't mean that the majority of people who drink diet beverages don't know how to make smart food choices. I for one care about my health so I've cut out foods that I used to live on (like pasta and cereal) for the good of my health (and I'm not diabetic but I know I'm carb sensitive). Yes, it was difficult, but it does get easier especially when you start seeing the health benefits.
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #39
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Ntombi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Boston, then OH, then NYC, now SoCal. Whew!
Posts: 38,380
Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
Have you gotten your results back yet?

I think the eGFR is the more important one. That's the one that will "stage" you and it's actually based on your creatinine result, so it takes it into consideration.

If you're reading the results yourself, there are two eGFR results, one applies if you're black and the other if you're not. The way it was reported on my labs was a "black" value and a "non-black" value, because the lab techs don't know your race, so they just calculate both. Well, I had no idea what that meant. I considered that it might me race but wasn't sure. The "black" number was better for me (probably everyone, I'm thinking) and I was bummed to find out that the other was the one that applied.
So interesting; I was at the endocrinologist (I'm hypothyroid) and just saw my eGFR for the first time, and I was confused as to why there were two numbers, differentiated by race. Then I remembered this thread! I guess poking my nose in helps sometimes.

So my eGFR is 108; something else to prove to my PCP that Atkins doesn't cause kidney damage.

I'm also glad it gave a real number, rather than the "in range" you posted about.

Last edited by Ntombi; 08-02-2013 at 06:39 PM..
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:12 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!
 
rubidoux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: san diego
Posts: 1,466
Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Yay! for that great eGFR!

So, it turns out that mine is way up, 79. I can't remember, I might have said this upthread... but I'm kind of happy that it dipped low enough to alert me to the issue. I know a lot more about taking care of my kidneys now. Really, all diabetics and people w high bp should be educated about these things since they are so easy to do anyway.

I wish I could know how much my improvement was due to LCHF. As far as I can tell the only thing that has ever been shown to reverse CKD is a kerogen if diet, but that was only one study w mice. I wish they'd try it w humans!
__________________
jayne, type I diabetic and mama to two sweet boys (9/03 and 2/09)

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 02:40 PM   #41
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1
Gallery: Sunny60
Decreased Kidney Function

Hi, I am a Diabetic for about 14 years old and I am a BC Survivor of 15yrs.....I just saw my Dr. and he said my kidneys are functioning at 75% of what they should be, that scared me, my sugar numbers have been pretty good, my A1C was 7.2....he said there was not much I could do to improve my kidney function because of the Diabeties and the 9 month of Chemo. I had years ago.....I am so depressed at this news....I read several posts and it seems there are some things to do, I don't know if my Dr. figured at my age (68) that it was not worth it....but I plan to be here to see my grandchildren graduate from College......I saw the water advise and the protein advise (I knew water was good for you) but did not realize protein puts stress on the kidneys.......Please HELP....any advise for this old lady.....Thanks
Sunny60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:47 PM   #42
Administrator
 
Dottie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: S.E. Texas Gulf Coast
Posts: 71,873
Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
75% is not bad, nothing to be scared about
I'm sure your doctor will do follow-up tests at certain intervals (probably 3 months) and check to make sure you're not losing more function.
Please, don't be scared about it, you're not in the "worry zone" yet
DO keep in contact with your doctor about your fears and ask what s/he suggests you do
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:33 PM   #43
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,628
Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny60 View Post
Hi, I am a Diabetic for about 14 years old and I am a BC Survivor of 15yrs.....I just saw my Dr. and he said my kidneys are functioning at 75% of what they should be, that scared me, my sugar numbers have been pretty good, my A1C was 7.2....he said there was not much I could do to improve my kidney function because of the Diabeties and the 9 month of Chemo. I had years ago.....I am so depressed at this news....I read several posts and it seems there are some things to do, I don't know if my Dr. figured at my age (68) that it was not worth it....but I plan to be here to see my grandchildren graduate from College......I saw the water advise and the protein advise (I knew water was good for you) but did not realize protein puts stress on the kidneys.......Please HELP....any advise for this old lady.....Thanks
If you haven't already done so, please read Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. I know he at least briefly addressses diabetic kidney function in there. An A1C of 7.2 is still very high. If you follow Dr. Bernstein's eating plan I am sure it will help your A1C and it may even help your kidney function, or at least help prevent it from getting worse.
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:19 PM   #44
Major LCF Poster!
 
Janknitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,313
Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Sunny, the BEST thing you can do for yourself is get better control of your blood glucose. That will protect your kidneys from further damage.
Janknitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:53 AM   #45
Major LCF Poster!
 
Aomiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,569
Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
If you haven't already done so, please read Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. I know he at least briefly addressses diabetic kidney function in there. An A1C of 7.2 is still very high. If you follow Dr. Bernstein's eating plan I am sure it will help your A1C and it may even help your kidney function, or at least help prevent it from getting worse.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:17 PM   #46
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
sweetpoison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 4,485
Gallery: sweetpoison
Stats: 225/224/160
WOE: 80/20 PRIMAL
Start Date: 08/22/2014
Wow.. older thread... but it is nice to see it ...... I am pushing 61 in April and just got my gfr on my last blood work that was a 58 and I am concerned. Although I am sure I am prediabetic... fasting of 108. I have been a candy and sweets nut for about 7 years now... very bad..... never had an a1c but I am sure it would have been high. I have been scared straight. I go in 3 months for blood work again along with a A1C this time and I want it to be as good as possible. I guess I could go get an A1C now.... to compare in 3 months.... but I must admit... I am scared to.
__________________
GET MAD GET IT DONE!!!
"THE FIRST STEP TO GETTING ANYWHERE IS DECIDING YOU'RE NO LONGER WILLING TO STAY WHERE YOU ARE"!!! WHEN YOU THINK ABOUT QUITTING---REMEMBER WHY YOU STARTED
sweetpoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:44 PM   #47
Major LCF Poster!
 
Aomiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,569
Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
heh...double post.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:27 PM   #48
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
sweetpoison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 4,485
Gallery: sweetpoison
Stats: 225/224/160
WOE: 80/20 PRIMAL
Start Date: 08/22/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aomiel View Post
heh...double post.
????
sweetpoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:10 AM   #49
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Tyrone Georgia U.S.A.
Posts: 1,217
Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
You may want to do your own google search for this but it seems large doses of B1 may help the kidneys. I am taking it for another reason and although I never have seen this result reported it seems to make my skin look a little better and my dandruff seems to have cleared up. Oh vitamin B1 is very poorly absorbed if taken in one large dose so splitting it into 3 doses helps this a lot.
E.W. is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:36 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.