LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2013, 02:14 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 205/185/140
WOE: LC/Experimenting w/ NK
Start Date: Jan 2012
Treatment without insurance?

Hi all,
I have been in the pre-diabetic range for several years now, and was able to get to normal blood sugars with lc eating. I had my son 2 years ago and had gestational diabetes and had to be on insulin, but after returned to lc and my blood sugars stayed near-normal, 105 fasting, normal after meals, 5.3 a1c last March. Well lately the last month, my fasting has jumped into the 130's sometimes, or even higher, my post-meal #'s are sometimes higher than normal, and I did a mail-in a1c and it 5.9! I know that with my family history of diabetes, my own insulin resistance, and having had GD that I am a great candidate for type 2, so I am dedicated to LC.

I got off track for a couple of months last year and gained back 5 lbs, but then the last few months of this year, without any change (and being LC solid LC for the last 6 months, I've gained another 5, and my blood sugars are going up!

The worst part is I don't have health insurance right now, and we are always struggling financially, so not a lot of $ to pay for a doctor's visit and labs. I'm thinking if I started some Metformin that might keep it from getting worse, but I don't know how I would get a scrip for it without having to shell out a lot of $ to the doctor. I don't have a primary care doc anymore, she moved to another practice, otherwise I would have just emailed her and I know she would have probably been able to help.

This all has me really stressed, on top of other stresses! (Which I know doesn't help my bs at all either!) Has anyone ever been in this situation? What did you do? Any advice?

Thanks lc friends!
alex_in_wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2013, 04:10 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Do you have a clinic you could go to through your county? I don't know how it works in OR. I have a good friend that doesn't have insurance and can't afford it, and she goes to the county clinic. She has a great doctor through there too.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:38 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BABSY
I was layed off in 2009 and lost my insurance. I was on metformin, diovan to protect kidneys and insulin. I only went once a year for the diabetes checkup and paid out of pocket as a self pay at a reduced rate. Some offices will call it that. Each medication company usually has a program for free medication if you know how to fill the form out right. I was able to get the insulin free and the diovan. I just paid for the metformin since it was only 5 bucks anyway. I have insurance now, since I have another job. Heck, I think I was saving more money back then.
BABSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:41 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, I also found it cheaper to get labs done elsewhere like those places that just do lab work. Doctor offices charge more money. My Endo knew I didn't have insurance so I told him I will only come once a year.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:13 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alassea
WOE: kiss atkins
check with your local hospitals to see if they have a free medical coverage program based on your family income. each hospital would have its own program so it could only be used at that particular hospital. sometimes they close the enrollment, so you might have to wait for it to open up again. and coverage is usually for a year , then you need to re-apply.

you'll need to verify your financial income....i.d., bank statements, rent/mortgage, paystubs, etc.

this process is done in the registration office in the hospital.

check with all the hospitals. I hope you can qualify.
alassea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:47 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 205/185/140
WOE: LC/Experimenting w/ NK
Start Date: Jan 2012
Thanks all so much for the replies! I will begin looking into these options and hopefully get my bs down. Thanks again!
alex_in_wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:46 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BABSY View Post
Oh, I also found it cheaper to get labs done elsewhere like those places that just do lab work. Doctor offices charge more money. My Endo knew I didn't have insurance so I told him I will only come once a year.
Oh, and I made him give me prescriptions for as long as he could