Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2013, 03:52 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Stats: He-212, She-???
WOE: Nutitionist said go low carb
Start Date: May 2013
Reading material

Ok so my wife likes to read cookbooks and also cooking magazines. She has a subscription to "Taste of Home", Diabetes Living" and Diabetes Forecast". Can anyone name any others? Specifically low carb or Diabetic. Thanks.
Richard & MaryAnn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2013, 03:57 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kismet311
Stats: 161/131/127
WOE: TOPS/Juddd
Have you considered Paleo recipes instead of specifically diabetic recipes? You could always adjust the recipes to your liking.
Kismet311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:38 PM   #3

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
In my experience there is almost nothing useful in magazines like that. Diabetes Forecast is like one big ad for the drug companies. I won't read it. I am sure the other Diabetes magazine is like that too, the only way they could get enough money to make a go of it. I would throw them in the trash! seriously.

unfortunately the good recipes are online.
ravenrose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:02 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kismet311
Stats: 161/131/127
WOE: TOPS/Juddd
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
In my experience there is almost nothing useful in magazines like that. Diabetes Forecast is like one big ad for the drug companies. I won't read it. I am sure the other Diabetes magazine is like that too, the only way they could get enough money to make a go of it. I would throw them in the trash! seriously.

unfortunately the good recipes are online.
I've never looked at diabetic magazines but the diebetric coookbooks are horrible. I agree, look online.
Kismet311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:28 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
I agree with the others about the sources you are currently using. They are likely still full of carbs.

The Diabetes Diet by Dr. Richard Bernstein is about half-filled with low carb recipes. His other book, Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution also has a chapter with recipes.

This website is also a great resource, there is an entire forum dedicated to low carb recipes: Low Carb Recipes and Menus - Low Carb Friends

Paleo cookbooks can be good too, as noted above, but many of them use fruit, honey, or maple syrup in some of the recipes, and those ingredients should be minimized or avoided. I do subscribe to Paleo Magazine, but it is more of a lifestyle magazine with some recipes than one dedicated to cooking.

ETA: Here is a recent thread about low carb cookbooks: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ead-owned.html

Last edited by Mistizoom; 06-29-2013 at 06:33 PM..
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:39 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Dr. Bernstein's "The Diabetes Solution". A must read for diabetics.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:42 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
I've found most diabetes cookbooks and magazines contain recipes that are still way too high in carbs for diabetics and that's because they're following the misinformed view of the diabetes medical community.

The best thing you can do as a diabetic is to put away the recipe magazines and eat clean...protein and green vegies or at least low carb vegies (like cauliflower). Not only will it have a greater impact on your BG levels but it helps to get the 'taste' of the carbs out of your system.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:07 PM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
I love cookbooks too!!! I have a whole collection and have borrowed even more from the library. Just got back from the library today and checked out this one: Dana Carpender's 500 More Low Carb Recipes: 500 All New Recipes from Around the World" . I have her earlier book called "500 Low Carb recipes". I love them!!

I also have Jenifer Eloff's "Low Carbing Among Friends" Volume 1. There are 3 volumes. And many contributors are posters right here on LCFs.

Here is a thread or 2 on good cookbooks you can look at:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...endations.html

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...cookbooks.html

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ead-owned.html

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...cookbooks.html

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...cook-book.html

That should give you a nice start. I would suggest looking in your local library for some cookbooks. That way you can try some out before you buy. I have gotten some books from the Eades that are nice. They are the ones who have written "Protein Power". But they have some really good cookbooks as well.