Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Diabetes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/diabetes/)
-   -   Diabetes educator, so rude. (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/diabetes/807035-diabetes-educator-so-rude.html)

BABSY 06-28-2013 03:19 PM

Diabetes educator, so rude.

She was trying to tell me I need to eat more carbs than ten per meal. She said if I don't my blood sugar would be higher. She said," I am not trying to be hateful, but, I don't have diabetes. You have to go home and live with it everyday, I don't."

BABSY 06-28-2013 03:23 PM

She also asked what I normally eat for breakfast and I said I might have an Atkins shake, and she said, "Well, I know you probably read labels, but atkins shakes have too many carbs." When I finally saw the Doctor, he said too much fat was bad and it causes heart attacks.

GME 06-28-2013 03:53 PM

:stars: I think you are going to have to educate yourself (you probably already knew that).

Kismet311 06-28-2013 03:55 PM

My husband has diabetes and has those shakes every day for breakfast. His blood sugar numbers are very good according to his doctor. He does eat whole grain high fiber bread for lunch but nothing too high in carbs for the rest of the day. We had to figure out on our own what he should eat because those diabetic cookbooks that the doctor gave him were a joke.

Dirty Harriet 06-28-2013 06:23 PM

I had diabetes prior to weight loss. I am also an RN for over 30 yrs. The medical community is sadly lacking in information and is full of misinformation re: diabetes. It was a far cry from what I learned about diabetes in nursing school, to HAVING THE DISEASE.
Diabetes is insulin resistance to the body's way of processing carbohydrates. Insulin is the key hormone to unlock the high circulating glucose in the bloodstream (where high readings show up) rather than its use inside the cells for energy. You have to track your glucose readings many times a day; before and after eating (post-prandial), first thing in the morning (fasting) and at night. Graph your responses of your readings with the carbohydrate AND calorie load. For instance, you may have a high glucose a couple of hours after eating, but your carb load for dinner was low. Take a look then at calories and fat. Was a 12 oz. steak eaten? Fat content increases insulin resistance. That is why French Fries are not a good thing to eat.
What I found was that I could eat low carb; but had to watch my portions like my love of high fat food like steak. A really good dietician will inform you, that you can eat just about anything, just in very small amounts. My only recommendation: NO fruit juices and NO dried fruit.
When I was finally diagnosed, my A1C was 13.5. HORRIBLE. I managed to bring the A1C down to 5.6 with one oral medication. It took me 6 months. The day I had surgery for my lap band, I never have taken another medication for diabetes since; the MD's say I'm cured. I don't believe that; as when I eat a sugar filled cookie, for instance, my diabetic neuropathy starts acting up (my feet burn and feel like needles in them). Bottom line is, I know I remain insulin impaired. I read somewhere that by the time you are diagnosed with it, you have destroyed 60% of the islet of langerhans cells in the pancreas, that produce the insulin.
I do well eating chicken, fish, vegetables, low glycemic foods such as whole grains, and legumes, no potatoes or any cereal. One dietician informed me "what works one day for you, may not work the next" which tells me that the disease is ever changing. That said, everyone varies widely in their dietary tolerances, as it is also dependent on age, activity level, and if you are a man or a woman! This is why it is good to have a baseline by charting, and it keeps you under tight control. The ADA used to recommend an A1C of less than 7%; but it should be more like 6.5%.
You can do this; it is a VERY complicated disease. SO much information to absorb!! I have medical background, and it was difficult for me!! Rome wasn't conquered in a day; if you get frustrated, bring it here and vent as we are all frustrated with our conditions at times!!
Hugs to you!!
Kathy

Dirty Harriet 06-28-2013 06:35 PM

Oh, and I need to add: high triglyceride levels are due to your blood glucose not being well controlled. Triglycerides for a diabetic should be less than 150 mg/dl, total cholesterol less than 200, HDL good cholesterol greater than 50, and LDL lousy cholesterol less than 100.
This is what my MD recommended for me: a 54 yr old woman with a BAD family history.
I'm sure it will differ for you. Also make sure you are evaluated by an ENDOCRINOLOGIST. I had general MD's who thought they could manage me well, but could not (a large HMO in CA who shall remain nameless.)

BABSY 06-29-2013 04:28 AM

Well, I am not new to diabetes at all. Diabetes Centers of America is where I have been going lately, and they have their patients see the nutritionist before each visit. I always decline to see her but I forgot this time to tell them. Thanks for all that info. I did not know that too much fat causes more insulin resistance.

BABSY 06-29-2013 04:29 AM

My doctors are always amazed at my cholesterol numbers. My HDL is always around 100

BABSY 06-29-2013 04:50 AM

I told her I will not go over 10 carbs a meal. She put a sticky note on my record that said does not want to change regemine and does not want to change diet. I think she was pissed.

BABSY 06-29-2013 04:52 AM

oh and I lost ten pounds since last visit. I think that might have been switching from lantus to levemir. So why do they try to fix something that aint broken?

Aomiel 06-29-2013 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BABSY (Post 16491870)
She was trying to tell me I need to eat more carbs than ten per meal. She said if I don't my blood sugar would be higher. She said," I am not trying to be hateful, but, I don't have diabetes. You have to go home and live with it everyday, I don't."

I lost 70 pounds on Atkins (not the shakes). Despite my diet being moderate-high fat, all of my lab work was in the normal range after about 2-3 months.

The last 100 pounds were lost on a combination of Atkins and Dr. Bernstein's "Diabetes Solution". Bernstein is low fat which I don't think is necessary but I do follow his rule of just protein and green vegie type carbs. He also limits carbs to 10 per meal but since I'm not off all medication and my A1C is down to 5, I'll usually eat 20-25 carbs (all from green vegies) per meal.

As Harriet said, the diabetic community is sadly misinformed about how to control our diabetes. Read read read and then follow your own plan.

I love being a noncompliant diabetic with an A1C of 5 and healthy lab ranges. They just don't know how to deal with it.

ravenrose 06-29-2013 07:46 AM

Babsy, sometimes it's just best to smile and nod and not fret with them. Arguing is not going to convince them.

BABSY 06-29-2013 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aomiel (Post 16492411)
I lost 70 pounds on Atkins (not the shakes). Despite my diet being moderate-high fat, all of my lab work was in the normal range after about 2-3 months.

The last 100 pounds were lost on a combination of Atkins and Dr. Bernstein's "Diabetes Solution". Bernstein is low fat which I don't think is necessary but I do follow his rule of just protein and green vegie type carbs. He also limits carbs to 10 per meal but since I'm not off all medication and my A1C is down to 5, I'll usually eat 20-25 carbs (all from green vegies) per meal.

As Harriet said, the diabetic community is sadly misinformed about how to control our diabetes. Read read read and then follow your own plan.

I love being a noncompliant diabetic with an A1C of 5 and healthy lab ranges. They just don't know how to deal with it.

That is so funny that you said noncompliant diabetic. I told the doctor I didn't like what she wrote on that sticky note and she was saying I was non compliant. I told him that my previous doctor banned me from their office, calling me noncompliant because I didn't want to use the 6mm needles for then pens. I wanted 4mm.

positivity 07-01-2013 11:53 AM

Like several years back when I tried to a diabetic nursing student about digestive problems... In the most cheery voice imaginable, so happy she could solve my problem, she said, "Well, you just have to eat more fibers... you know? Breads, cereals, fruits..."

I smiled and said that I do eat all those things, but only a tiny, tiny bit. Since actually they're sugars and well, as a diabetic, I can't process them.

Blink, blink.

Actually, I use that line these days when ppl wonder why I'm eating low carb. First I say I'm diabetic and if that's not enough I say, "Well, that's basically the definition of a diabetic: someone who just can't process carbs. You wouldn't believe what numbers I get if I eat just a banana-- not worth it!"

Most people just don't know that carbs are not a required "staple." They've been drilled otherwise for so long. They've also been drilled that people who eat LC are under-educated and over-vain, completely obsessed with being skinny so they're trying out the latest fad diet!

I agree with RavenRose, though. Pick your battles!

BABSY 07-03-2013 07:29 AM

It seems like they are waiting to pounce on you. She said so what do you eat. And then no matter what you say, she has something to go against it.