Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Diabetes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/diabetes/)
-   -   type 2 diabetes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/diabetes/806818-type-2-diabetes.html)

jeaniem 06-25-2013 06:31 PM

type 2 diabetes

If you have type 2 or pre-diabetes did you know by symptoms or how you felt? I do know a fasting blood test is helpful, but just wondering what symptoms may be present.

ravenrose 06-25-2013 09:53 PM

from mayo clinic

Diabetes symptoms vary depending on how much your blood sugar is elevated. Some people, especially those with prediabetes or type 2 diabetes, may not experience symptoms initially. In type 1 diabetes, symptoms tend to come on quickly and be more severe. Some of the signs and symptoms of type 1 and type 2 diabetes include:
  • Increased thirst
  • Frequent urination
  • Extreme hunger
  • Unexplained weight loss
  • Presence of ketones in the urine (ketones are a byproduct of the breakdown of muscle and fat that happens when there's not enough insulin)
  • Fatigue
  • Blurred vision
  • Slow-healing sores
  • High blood pressure
  • Frequent infections, such as gums or skin infections and vaginal or bladder infections

dragonsdy 06-25-2013 10:49 PM

I was thirsty all the time and running to the bathroom to pee constantly. That's when I knew I had a problem.

E.W. 06-26-2013 05:42 AM

I was having a lot of skin infections ( boils ) then I got a bladder infection.
That's when I went to the Dr. and found out I had diabetes.

Marvin 06-26-2013 07:48 AM

I was very tired, although I certainly didn't know that it was diabetes. Looking back some of the most obvious times were after I had had a very high carb meal (pasta, wine, dessert), though at the time I certainly wasn't aware of it.

I had some pretty severe swelling in my legs, ankles and feet, though not sure that was directly related to the diabetes. It probably had more to do with the stress being put on my heart by being at my all-time high weight.

jeaniem 06-26-2013 08:45 AM

Thank you everyone.

haferchamp 06-26-2013 11:52 AM

Fatigue (needing 2 hr nap everyday), no energy, severe mood swings, gum inflammation. Of course I didn't know it was contributed to pre-diabetes at the time but since going low carb, all symptoms have cleared up. I also sleep through the night, have no more joint pain, think clearer (no brain fog) and more energy.

soapluvr 06-26-2013 04:19 PM

I had no idea. I had a regular fast blood test panel and my fasting was 103. I was really surprised because I had always kept my weight down and thought I was eating low carb. I was eating like South Beach I suppose but compared to most people that's low carb. Not enough. My last fasting at the doctor was 95 so they haven't said anything. I can' get it in the 80's if I try really hard but I also have DP so if it's 85 when I first get up then two hours later it will be 95.

I can't go by the way I feel. If it's been six hours since I've eaten then it doesn't matter if my blood sugar is 77 or 97....I still feel hungry.

Mistizoom 06-27-2013 08:51 PM

DH was diagnosed with type 2 without being aware of any symptoms (other than being fat :laugh:). It was diagnosed via A1C test.

positivity 06-28-2013 05:00 AM

For me it was the tiredness. I used to take sugar in my coffee, too, so when I would start crashing, I would grab a cup of coffee thinking that would help. Instead, I'd crash even harder. At the time, I lived right near my work so I always took my lunch break there so I could get a nap in. One day I realized that it wasn't just that I preferred to nap; I absolutely had to. Then I knew something was wrong. The GP found it fast enough. I think she pricked my finger there in the office and since it was high ordered a fasting glucose test.

The funny thing is, my sister who has Graves disease insisted I should check my thyroid function so I did. Those results came back "ok" but now that I've got my sugars more or less under control but still get so tired, I've gone back to her theory and I'm looking into thyroid issues.

jeaniem 06-28-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soapluvr (Post 16488487)
I had no idea. I had a regular fast blood test panel and my fasting was 103. I was really surprised because I had always kept my weight down and thought I was eating low carb. I was eating like South Beach I suppose but compared to most people that's low carb. Not enough. My last fasting at the doctor was 95 so they haven't said anything. I can' get it in the 80's if I try really hard but I also have DP so if it's 85 when I first get up then two hours later it will be 95.

I can't go by the way I feel. If it's been six hours since I've eaten then it doesn't matter if my blood sugar is 77 or 97....I still feel hungry.

A fasting BG of 103 is diabetic:eek: