Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Diabetes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Coffee
Stats: 315/258.2/199.999 as of 06-20-13
Start Date: I have started over & over & over again :(
What is your goto food for a Low Blood sugar?

Looking for ideas on things to have on hand for when I have a low blood sugar. I hate using things like crackers etc. (they don't melt in your purse or your car ) What do other Low carbers use???
Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2013, 03:27 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
sweet tarts
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:10 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: positivity
A mandarine, if available. And I try to eat only half of it to see if that brings me up to normal, then eat the rest if not. Do you get low sugars often? If so, sweet tarts are maybe more practical to have on hand.
positivity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:49 PM   #4

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
how often does this happen?

do you low carb religiously?

do you inject insulin?

I am asking because I have TERRIBLE diabetes and take insulin and I can't even remember the last time I had a low.

Can you control this better? eating sugary things is not going to work on a low carb woe. you have to if you have to, of course!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:30 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dirty Harriet
Stats: 425/179/202 @ 5'7" size 7X/12W/14W age 55 (-246#),
WOE: 40Gm carbs/day (total) + WLS
Start Date: 8/11/2005 lap band; maintaining since 7/4/08!!!
Coffee: a friend of mine used life savers and gumdrops. I wouldn't recommend the latter, as it is too easy to eat too many and then have your glucose spike; you feel very fatigued from the wide swings in Blood glucose. I used to carry a small box of raisins, the kind that sun maid makes to put in kids' lunch boxes.

Last edited by Dirty Harriet; 06-28-2013 at 07:30 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Dirty Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:46 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
I suffered from major low blood sugar for decades and my go to was either a hard boiled egg or cheese. According to the endo, both of those will hit your blood stream faster than any type of protein. *Never* eat carbs, particularly candy or fruit as they hit the blood stream fast and you end up with a boomerang effect, depending on how bad your low BS is. You'll end up going high but then crashing lower than you were before. I say this with 25 years of major low blood sugar issues.

You always want to avoid caffeine which has a very nasty effect on people who run low.

Oh...this advice is for people who low BS is *not* related to taking insulin. If you're taking insulin and it's a result of taking too much insulin, then I was told to drink 1-2 oz of OJ (that was while I was on insulin).

Last edited by Aomiel; 07-01-2013 at 10:47 AM..
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:42 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: positivity
Interesting post, Aomiel. Can I ask what you do take, med-wise? I never get lows and lately I've been wondering why... I only take metformin (1500) and it seems the lowest I ever get is around 92 but that's not so common for me.

Completely agree about that boomerang effect. I said I take a half mandarine (because I can; not everyone can, I know!), but... I still have to exercise self-control not to gobble the thing! Which is what your body sometimes screams for you to do when you're in a low, and it's definitely a mistake. Just the half will give me a high (150's? 160's?) that helps get me through. I like the speedy response of natural fruit over candy but I know some ppl would say they're equally less-than-ideal options.
positivity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:34 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Positivity,
I used to take Lantus and Humalog. I no longer have to take meds. I couldn't do metformin because I'd have major crashes which the doc said is fairly common.

Yeah...I think that's how I ended up overweight and insulin resistant. My blood sugar was so out of what starting after puberty and whenever it would crash, I'd start eating...and, of course, all the high carb stuff. Which solved the problem quickly, but the consequences of the high and then further crash were horrible.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:18 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BABSY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aomiel View Post
Positivity,
I used to take Lantus and Humalog. I no longer have to take meds. I couldn't do metformin because I'd have major crashes which the doc said is fairly common.

Yeah...I think that's how I ended up overweight and insulin resistant. My blood sugar was so out of what starting after puberty and whenever it would crash, I'd start eating...and, of course, all the high carb stuff. Which solved the problem quickly, but the consequences of the high and then further crash were horrible.
How come you no longer have to take meds?
BABSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:19 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Babsy,
I no longer take meds because my diabetes is controlled with my low carb diet. Normal readings for me are at 90-95. Right now my A1C is between 5 and 6, but my next visit should show me at 5 since I've been consistent for the previous 4 months.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:31 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jeanred22
Hypoglycemia can't do Atkins why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aomiel View Post
I suffered from major low blood sugar for decades and my go to was either a hard boiled egg or cheese. According to the endo, both of those will hit your blood stream faster than any type of protein. *Never* eat carbs, particularly candy or fruit as they hit the blood stream fast and you end up with a boomerang effect, depending on how bad your low BS is. You'll end up going high but then crashing lower than you were before. I say this with 25 years of major low blood sugar issues.

You always want to avoid caffeine which has a very nasty effect on people who run low.

Oh...this advice is for people who low BS is *not* related to taking insulin. If you're taking insulin and it's a result of taking too much insulin, then I was told to drink 1-2 oz of OJ (that was while I was on insulin).
I was also told years ago that protein was better for me than sugar for my Hypoglycemia although online they, the medical professionals say, eat sugar at once..sodas, raisins, sweet tarts, candy not chocolate, not ice cream, or apple juice/pineapple/orange. Now I am confused. On Atkins I was feeling good on induction after two weeks, then I dropped to feeling tired and feeling low blood sugar spikes, physical symptoms et al. after 5 weeks, I had to stop the diet as I could not regulate, I added 5 carbs after induction, kept it at that, I lost 5 pounds in 5 weeks. Not great. I also did the urine stick tests and never got beyond the trace. I read everthing, followed the diet in detail as in 2002 I lost 35 pounds with the diet, felt great...now, not good with my Hypoglycemia, which Medical says eat carbs? to counter the attacks.
jeanred22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:51 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanred22 View Post
although online they, the medical professionals say, eat sugar at once..sodas, raisins, sweet tarts, candy not chocolate, not ice cream, or apple juice/pineapple/orange. Now I am confused.
Jean,
They're giving out this bad information for the same reason the medical community still insists that we must eat...and cannot survive without...carbs. Look at how long they took before the admitted that the Food Pyramid was wrong.

The uninformed in the medical community still try to treat hypoglycemics as if they are Type 1 diabetics. As little as 40 years ago, they were saying hypoglycemia was the opposite of diabetes and many doctors just didn't know how to treat it...and weren't even taking it very seriously. I had to learn everything the hard way by paying attention to my body.

When a Type 1 diabetic has low blood sugar, it is because they have too much insulin in their system. So they eat a piece of candy to help deal with the excess insulin. This works for them because their body does not produce insulin. So they don't get a sugar rush from eating sugar.

When anyone else eats that candy, yes it will deal with the excess insulin causing their low blood sugar *but* that sugar will also cause an the body to produce an insulin rush to deal with it...many times dropping their BG even lower than it was before the candy.

The best thing hypoglycemics can do is to eat a hard boiled egg or a couple ounces of cheese. Any protein will work, but these two apparently get into the blood stream faster...but more gradually than candy so they don't cause the insulin rush.

Doctors used to recommend that diabetics eat 6 small meals throughout the day to keep blood sugar stable. Now...those in the 'know'...say 3 meals because it has to do with insulin resistance, production of insulin and how long it stays in the system, etc. (Dr. Bernstein's "Diabetes Solution").

However, as a hypoglycemic (as opposed to a diabetic), I found that drinking a low carb/low cal protein shake, hard boiled egg or even a couple ounces of cheese mid meals and once in the evening was necessary to keep from those crashes.

Here are a couple other things I learned over the decades of being hypoglycemic:

Avoid caffeine, particularly tea, because it will cause crashes.

Be very careful when exercising. If I work to my 'target heart rate', my sugar crashes. Which is not to say that my heart doesn't get a work out when I'm walking or exercising...just that I pay attention to my body and have learned that 'target heart rate' equals major crash to the point of almost passing out.

Certain carbs were my enemy because they'd hit my system too fast causing an insulin rush and then bottoming out. This constant up and down is what also led to insulin resistance which led to diabetes.

It's not just enough to lower your carbs, you want to spread them out because too many at once and you're working that insulin rush again.

My .02...log everything you eat in one of the online food programs. Keep your carbs below 25-30 and make sure they're all coming from low carb vegies. Watch your calories and fats to make sure you aren't overdoing them and to give you a baseline of what to tweak if you aren't losing. It's less frustrating after 2 weeks of no loss to look back over your food log and be able to say, "oh yeah...I probably need to cut back on the fat...or I'm eating way too much" than to believe you're doing everything just right and the diet isn't working.

If you're feeling shaky and tired, eat a hard boiled egg or 2 oz of hard cheese and then *relax* and let it work. I usually feel better within 30 minutes.