Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 01:13 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Stats: He-212, She-???
WOE: Nutitionist said go low carb
Start Date: May 2013
What are the hidden carbs.

I don't know if this is the appropriate forum, but here goes. I am a Type 2 diabetic and my new doctor has told me to start a new low carb diet. I have noticed that there are "hidden carbs." By this I mean that some carbs are not listed. My wife recently bought some pound cake, mostly for her family. I looked at the label, that stated that there was 60 carbs, with 40 being sugar. But it listed nothing for the other 20. So what would the other carbs be, and why don't they list them?
Thanks.
Richard & MaryAnn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Marvin
Stats: WT=410/345/225?
WOE: Atkins induction, Bernstein
Start Date: Which time?
The other 20 could be fiber, or sugar alcohols; neither of which are "supposed to" spike blood sugars. A great example is an Atkins bar; don't know the exact values, but some will be fiber and some will sugar alcohols.

I'd be really curious though -- I would doubt a pound cake would have 20 grams either of fiber or sugar alcohol. Do you have the Brand Name, etc. of the product?

Frankly, for a food like that, I'd assume all 60 are sugars and would spike my BG.....
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Stats: He-212, She-???
WOE: Nutitionist said go low carb
Start Date: May 2013
Not real sure of brand name as the package is gone either to her sister's house or her brother's. But there is only 2 stores in our town. A super Wal-Mart and a Brookshire's.
Richard & MaryAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:12 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ronnie51
Did you look at the list of ingredients, not just the nutritional chart? Since it's pound cake you're talking about, I would imagine the other carbs are from some type of white flour which is a simple carb and should be avoided.
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:26 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Probably eggs and flour and other non-sugar carbs.

Remember, there are several different sources of carbohydrates, including things we don't think about.

Anything that comes from the ground has carbs, so every single vegetable, fruit, seed (including coffee!), nut, leaf (yes, tea has carbs) has some level of carbohydrates. So does dairy, eggs, organ meats, and more.

Just because its not directly sugar doesn't mean it's a hidden carb, or the nutrition label is being sneaky. It's a real non-sugar carb.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:15 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Anything not listed on the label under carbs specifically as fiber, sugar, or sugar alcohol is a starch of some type (flour, etc.) Hidden carbs are things that you don't realize are carbs, or have carbs. For example, malodextrin is a bulking agent used in artifical sweetener packets that is a carbohydrate. Dextrose is often listed on labels and it is sugar. If you haven't already found them, I highly recommend Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution and The Diabetes Diet also by Dr. Richard Bernstein. He does a great job of explaining hidden carbs and how to avoid them. He has a great website too.

, BTW. Can I just say how awesome it is that your profile says your nutritionist wants you to go low carb, and you say your doctor does as well. Sounds like they are keepers!

Last edited by Mistizoom; 06-24-2013 at 06:19 PM..
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:23 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard & MaryAnn View Post
I don't know if this is the appropriate forum, but here goes. I am a Type 2 diabetic and my new doctor has told me to start a new low carb diet. I have noticed that there are "hidden carbs." By this I mean that some carbs are not listed. My wife recently bought some pound cake, mostly for her family. I looked at the label, that stated that there was 60 carbs, with 40 being sugar. But it listed nothing for the other 20. So what would the other carbs be, and why don't they list them?
Thanks.
You might find, as many diabetics do, that you can't deduct the fiber carbs or sugar alcohol carbs, as you may be so sensitive that your body still reacts to them as if they're carbs.

I have to count *all* carbs or I go out of ketosis.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:59 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: floridagirl6
Stats: 200/145.6/130. Restart 160/
WOE: ME/Scarsdale/Low Carb Low Cal
Start Date: Restart 7/21/14
I to count all carbs & keep them low. I eat higher fat, low carb, IF. I used to be able to eat a few more carbs - not now.
floridagirl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:43 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Anne Frank
WOE: Blood type diet
Start Date: Sept 2010
Atkins Bars

A nutritionist from NJ who has written books on diabetes says some of the ingredients in Atkins bars cause problems for low carbing. This was as of several months ago so am assuming it's still the same.

Just a heads up on that.
Anne Frank is offline   Reply With Quote