LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2013, 03:46 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ninagrrl
Stats: 230/221/160
WOE: no grain/low carb
Start Date: June 17th, 2013
Hi. New here.

New to this board. Been lurking for the last week reading some recipes and food ideas. I'm not new to diabetes but am new to eating healthy and trying to get my life back. I am currently 14 weeks pregnant with my second child and wanted to give my baby the best chance. I developed gestational diabetes while I was pregnant with my son and it just never went away but that's not a surprise since both my parents are diabetics. I am turning 31 this year so this is a hard pill to swallow and I feel like I'm getting robbed. I love to eat and in the beginning of going low carb I felt like I just wanted them to take my stomach out and just inject the nutrients because I was so frustrated with not eating good foods.

On a budget of $300 a month to feed not only myself but my OH and my 3 year old... eating healthy and not just eating bland food is hard on the wallet. I am now on day 6 without bread, pasta, rice, flour or any grain type carbs as well as most fruits. I have discovered a few things I like but need to get a little more adventurous with trying new things.

Just wanted to say hi and not lurk around anymore. I have a long road ahead of me and hopefully someday I can add some useful content to this site and kind of repay for what this board will do for me in the near and distant future.
ninagrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2013, 04:07 PM   #2
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
Welcome
Make sure to post an introduction on the Main Lobby, too - this thread:
NEW MEMBERS.. Please come introduce yourself!!!
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:33 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
Hi Nina and welcome. Good for you for watching out for your baby's health and your own! It is hard at first to give up grains, fruits, sweets, baked goods, and so many other favorites but you will find some new favorites to replace them and it is so worth it when you see those bgs drop down and know you are avoiding all the longterm complications of diabetes. Good luck to you and congrats on the new baby!
shunsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:38 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ninagrrl
Stats: 230/221/160
WOE: no grain/low carb
Start Date: June 17th, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunsweets View Post
Hi Nina and welcome. Good for you for watching out for your baby's health and your own! It is hard at first to give up grains, fruits, sweets, baked goods, and so many other favorites but you will find some new favorites to replace them and it is so worth it when you see those bgs drop down and know you are avoiding all the longterm complications of diabetes. Good luck to you and congrats on the new baby!
Thanks. It was really rough the first couple of days. I still carb crave every couple of days but it's not as bad as it was those first couple of days when I felt hungry and full at the same time. I have more motivation now though. Since being off grains for a week now I have discovered that I'm gluten intolerant. I used to have horrible IBS and gastric dumping syndrome. It's completely gone. I feel like I've been given a gift because with the way I feel now, I know I will be able to stick to my diet with very few bad days. You don't realize how horrible the pain has been until it is gone. Feeling fantastic for the first time since I was a young teenager!
ninagrrl is offline   Reply With Quote