Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2013, 08:50 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: saponaria
Stats: 200/172/120
WOE: Atkins, Weston Price, Bernstein
Why would my bg be this high??

I got up and had a fasting bg of 84. I ate about 300 calories for breakfast in the form of a scrambled egg with cheese, a slice and a half of bacon and some coffee with full fat cream. I really wasn't hungry and didn't have much of an appetite.

I then went outside and gardened for a full hour or so. I came inside because I was feeling light headed and wondered if my bg was low since I'd not eaten much. I took it and it was 104. I thought that had to be a fluke so washed my finger again and took it and it was 112!

I'm in nutritional ketosis right now. My calories are low. My fat is high. Why would gardening for an hour drive my bg up? The heat makes me feel like crap is there anyway that could affect things? I mean I have not eaten anything in a while that would drive my bg up that high so I'm really baffled. Usually when my calories are low and I'm getting physical activity in and I have been at least 2-3 hours without eating my bg is at it's lowest. What am I missing?
saponaria is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2013, 08:52 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: saponaria
Stats: 200/172/120
WOE: Atkins, Weston Price, Bernstein
I should also add that I frequently have this same breakfast though usually more of it and it doesn't drive my bg up.
saponaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:18 PM   #3

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
to start with, glucose monitors are not that accurate. the legal standards are scandalous: plus or minus 20% over 100 and plus or minus 20 points under 100. which means a reader showing 75 when you are really 95 is fine, showing 83 when you are really 63 is fine, showing 141 when you are really 169 is fine. Obviously these are NOT fine...

the good news is that they are usually a lot more accurate than that, but don't overly depend on that. luckily you are not injecting insulin based on the readings like I am.

so probably your 104 was more accurate than 112, and blood sugar just varies. you can't always know why it goes up a little. it's still a very safe range, so really, don't get too excited about it. I agree it is confusing.

and since you are doing NK, you know we can make glucose from protein. perhaps your body decided to do a bit more of that than usual. or perhaps your pancreas was a little slow in putting out the insulin to digest breakfast.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:15 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
Exercise especialy early morning exercise tends to raise my blood sugar 20 to 30 points.
Here is an article that talks about this effect.

My Blood Sugar Spikes After Exercising | LIVESTRONG.COM
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:35 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jrw85705
I agree that early morning exercise can raise your blood sugar.
Dr. Bernstein even recommends waiting at least three hours, after getting up, before doing any exercise.
Jrw85705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:51 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 285/198/180
WOE: LC/HF for T2 diabetes
Start Date: Sept. 2011
I always spike after exercise, no matter what time I do it. Then I will have a nice drop about an hour or so later, and it will last a long time. I don't worry about the temporary rise right after the exercise.
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:51 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: berighteous
Stats: 320's/258/200
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2012
I workout late at night (1:30am) on my ski machine. My numbers usually DROP by 30 points or more when I test right after, and then creep up a bit after.
berighteous is offline   Reply With Quote