Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Diabetes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/diabetes/)
-   -   A week and a half from diagnosis and going LC (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/diabetes/806039-week-half-diagnosis-going-lc.html)

berighteous 06-13-2013 03:39 PM

A week and a half from diagnosis and going LC

Hi all!
I just wanted to shout from the rooftops than after being diagnosed with diabetes in the ER 10 days ago, I'm down about 4 lbs and my blood sugar is 150!

I posted the story in another thread - My wife's mom kidnapped me and took me to the ER, blood sugar > 415, doc said "it's crazy high...you're a diabetic...take this, eat better, exercise more, lose more weight." Yadda yadda you can read all about it there.

Ok, so I went hardcore Atkins/Ketogenic/whatever. Dropped the carbs to under 20, took the Metformin like a good boy, did more walking, and tested my blood sugar about 60 times between then and now. (2nd bottle of 50 strips)

400, 385, 360, 350, 320, 312, 305, 300... for a week it's been 300 and above. On monday I upped the Metformin to 750mg twice a day as instructed, and then I broke 300, then 200, then 180 yesterday, and 150 today. So happy to be getting closer to the "normal" range.

Just needed to tell somebody.

Mistizoom 06-13-2013 06:58 PM

Great news! KUTGW!

Jigsaw 06-13-2013 07:01 PM

Congrats on your blood sugar numbers, that is fantastic in such a short time! Keep up the good work! :clap:

That Girl 06-13-2013 08:00 PM

That's great to hear!! Congrats, all your hard work will pay off!!

ravenrose 06-13-2013 09:55 PM

go get 'em, tiger!

GirlKickinIt 06-15-2013 03:41 PM

Wow!! You're having Super results!! Keep at it!!

cfine 06-15-2013 07:43 PM

Don't stop!! Congrats!

sillykimmie 06-15-2013 07:46 PM

:clap: Amazing! Way to turn it around!

berighteous 06-15-2013 08:36 PM

Thanks. I dunno how much it's turning, but at least I see lower numbers now.

I wish I could understand how I can be at 145 2 hours after lunch and a couple hours later eat 1/4 cup of asparagus which has 3 carbs in it (and some bacon) and I'm up to 239. I don't understand how I can eat no carbs and have 100 point shifts in a couple hours.

I don't think I blacked out and ate a cheesecake... My lovely wife slaps my hand away if I reach for a french fry. "You're a diabetic, you can't have that."
freaky.

Mistizoom 06-16-2013 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by berighteous (Post 16472465)
Thanks. I dunno how much it's turning, but at least I see lower numbers now.

I wish I could understand how I can be at 145 2 hours after lunch and a couple hours later eat 1/4 cup of asparagus which has 3 carbs in it (and some bacon) and I'm up to 239. I don't understand how I can eat no carbs and have 100 point shifts in a couple hours.

I don't think I blacked out and ate a cheesecake... My lovely wife slaps my hand away if I reach for a french fry. "You're a diabetic, you can't have that."
freaky.

Keep in mind that protein can also increase blood sugar, not just carbs. Fat is the only macronutrient that doesn't really affect blood sugar. Have you read Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution and/or his book The Diabetes Diet? If not I highly recommend them, especially the first one if you want an overall view of the best ways to manage your diabetes. He also has a website with some info from the book on there and a free monthly webinar. Just google "Dr. Richard Bernstein diabetes solution" to find it.

BABSY 06-16-2013 07:00 AM

I noticed when I eat bacon and eggs, my blood sugar stays higher in the morning. I agree that too much protein raises it as well. I am wondering if it also has to do with the sugar in the bacon?

berighteous 06-17-2013 06:37 PM

I came back from lunch/walk (pushing my lovely wife around about a mile or mile and a half in her wheelchair in 90 degree heat) and my meter says 140. Yay, in the normal range! I'm always the lowest when I come in from an outing. 140 is the lowest I've seen on the meter yet. I was in the 200's most of the day yesterday, even on <30 carbs.

I see a doc for the first time wed. I'd like to report good news. I don't wanna go on more expensive drugs or have to shoot insulin

berighteous 06-19-2013 12:47 PM

Ok I went to doc. She told me I shouldn't eat bacon AND eggs together because of the cholesterol, and that I should have lower carb fruit, and low fat yogurt for protein. :rolleyes: :eggs:

She ordered a cholesterol panel and etc.

My A1c result from the ER on 6/2 was 13.6 (!) Estimated Average Glucose 344mg/dl

She said normally they'd put me right on insulin, but because I'm doing so well on the diet and metformin they want to wait and see.

I brought my meter so she could see the time and day readings. My average for the last 3 days, testing morning, before and after meals, after mild exercise, and before bed (I tested a lot this week) is 190. Not stellar, but way better than the 415 I was in the ER with and better than the 344 the A1C test estimated a couple weeks ago!

Mistizoom 06-19-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by berighteous (Post 16477782)
Ok I went to doc. She told me I shouldn't eat bacon AND eggs together because of the cholesterol, and that I should have lower carb fruit, and low fat yogurt for protein. :rolleyes: :eggs:

She ordered a cholesterol panel and etc.

My A1c result from the ER on 6/2 was 13.6 (!) Estimated Average Glucose 344mg/dl

She said normally they'd put me right on insulin, but because I'm doing so well on the diet and metformin they want to wait and see.

I brought my meter so she could see the time and day readings. My average for the last 3 days, testing morning, before and after meals, after mild exercise, and before bed (I tested a lot this week) is 190. Not stellar, but way better than the 415 I was in the ER with and better than the 344 the A1C test estimated a couple weeks ago!

Glad to see the rolling eyes smiley. The doctor's advice will keep your blood sugar high. Most doctors know nothing about nutrition and how it affects health.

berighteous 06-19-2013 05:00 PM

so, do most diabetics who see better results just ignore they're doctor's advice? I nodded my head and said "yes, sure, of course, ok!" But what she was saying with authority and conviction sounded counterproductive.

Mistizoom 06-19-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by berighteous (Post 16478130)
so, do most diabetics who see better results just ignore they're doctor's advice? I nodded my head and said "yes, sure, of course, ok!" But what she was saying with authority and conviction sounded counterproductive.

I don't know about most, but my husband when straight for low carb when he got his type 2 diagnosis and hasn't looked back since. He ignored his doctor's referral to the diabetes nutritional counseling. His A1C vastly improved in 3 months of low carb plus metformin, and he's running between 5.6-5.8 I think now. He's also lost over 60 lbs. in 7 months as I have as well.