Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Diabetes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BABSY
An extra evening dose of levimir

I take 40 units in the morning and my blood sugars have been way too high. I used to take lantus in the morning but I wanted to try levimir. I have been on it several months with higher blood sugar in the morning than I did with lantus. I called my doctors office and I was told to start out with 10 units at bedtime I already take 40 in the morning. I was told to go down to about 35 or 30. I like to drink in the evenings and that would be hard to give it before bed. I thought about giving it at around 6 before I start drinking. What is y'all's thought about any of this?
BABSY is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2013, 04:12 PM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
you are right to be very careful of insulin and alcohol together. before you start it in the evening, please test your blood sugars when drinking several nights. test before you drink, then after 1 hr, 2 hr, 3 hr. I know it uses a lot of strips, but you need to know how low your blood sugars go!

I expect you will be fine taking it at bedtime like dr suggested, but don't do that all at once. taking it earlier will be worse I think.

you can start with only 2 units or something... there is no magic in increments of 10!

this stuff really is slow, so I think this will be fine, but like I said, take it slowly. good luck!
Old 06-13-2013, 05:22 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Why would it be worse taking it earlier? I'm afraid of drinking then doing it and giving the wrong dose if I wait till evening
Old 06-13-2013, 02:54 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MisticalMisty
WOE: Paleo/Primal
Start Date: January 13
I had to switch from Levimir back to Lantus and then eventually to Novolin N for over night because I have serious issues with my fasting bs.

My question is what are you drinking at night. Also, has your diet changed since you switched meds? If not, I would consider going back to Lantus. Not all insulin/meds work for all people.
MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:47 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I drink rum and diet rite. I don't want lantus because of the information of it causing cancer. Also, I have to be very careful where I inject that stuff, it has given me very lows suddenly. Levimir has not done that yet. Plus, with Levimir, I have lost 10 pounds. I would rather take two shots. Even with Lantus it was high in the morning, just not so high.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:58 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MisticalMisty
WOE: Paleo/Primal
Start Date: January 13
Almost all of diabetes meds cause cancer it seems. Good luck figuring out what works for you.
MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:52 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am up to 12 units at 7pm. I was doing 40 units in the morning and now I have gone down to 35 and yesterday I felt my blood sugar was not high enough after just eating an atkins meal. It was like 70 something. So I went down to 30 units. Also, I drank last night and by the time I ate dinner and was ready to go to bed, my blood sugar was 88 so I at some extra stuff like peanut butter and crackers cause I didn't know if it would go lower while I was sleeping. I need some advice from those who take the levemir at night as well.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:23 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: GirlKickinIt
Stats: I can't get no...satisfaction!!
WOE: Atkins-Bernstien-High FAT
Start Date: 9/20/2001
Hi Babsy!!

It sounds to me like you're on the right track, really. Just continue to monitor you BS #'s in the eve and morning, and adjust your dose, based on those #'s. Maybe consider backing down that am dose even a bit farther, so that you aren't so low at night that you're then having to snack it up to be safe. Are you pleased with your morning BS #'s?

You & I are doing nearly the same thing. I'm taking about 10 or so Levimer units at night & then I'm roughly doubling that dose for daytime, in order to cover the meals that will go down thru out the day. No more fast acting at all.

I should add that I'm only having to double that daytime dose because I'm eating mostly raw veggies. If I was to chow on a regular LC diet through out the day...I'd have to at least triple the daytime dose.

Last edited by GirlKickinIt; 07-06-2013 at 07:26 AM..
GirlKickinIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:20 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am up to 18 at night and 32 morning. Not good control yet. I am a little scared to go up so much at evening. I probably need to go up to 20.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:16 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Now up to 22 units at night. I took 32 this morning where I think I should have taken only 30. Cuz, after waking up with BS at 200, I took 32 units and ate my carbmaster yogurt and by 9:30 it was like 104 and felt the need to have a snack so I could last till lunch.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:15 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Babsy, how are you doing? Is that little extra dose at night working well for you? It's sure a process, huh? Constantly having to tweak the doses and always having to try to anticipate what you'll need to take.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:21 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am up to 25 units at night and it is still not enough. I am wondering if you need to take more at night then you do in the morning
Old 08-28-2013, 11:24 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hmmmm. If you're pleased with your diet as it is...then I'd think that continuing to up the night time dose for fuller coverage would be wise.
The other option is too lower your afternoon-dinner chow carbs enough that you require less insulin to get you thru the night.
Do you log your tests & doses, in order to most easily look back & determine what worked and how on previous readings?

I find that I require less for the night time dose, as I'm not having to cover for meals during the night.

Are you keeping your evening kegger meistering to lower carb drinks, or could you be taking in extra carbs with that?
I ended up quittin' that whole party some time ago now, but while I was still actively throwing them back, it would be quite typical for me to polish off 10-15 light coors or other light beer, OR in an evenings time I would go thru 1.5 of those BIG bottles of wine (red usually), mixed with water/ice. I found that I could keep the BS's pretty steady, if I stayed with those sorta drinks. The tricky & sometimes scary part was trying to dose, AFTER throwin' it all back.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:41 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlKickinIt View Post
Hmmmm. If you're pleased with your diet as it is...then I'd think that continuing to up the night time dose for fuller coverage would be wise.
The other option is too lower your afternoon-dinner chow carbs enough that you require less insulin to get you thru the night.
Do you log your tests & doses, in order to most easily look back & determine what worked and how on previous readings?

I find that I require less for the night time dose, as I'm not having to cover for meals during the night.

Are you keeping your evening kegger meistering to lower carb drinks, or could you be taking in extra carbs with that?
I ended up quittin' that whole party some time ago now, but while I was still actively throwing them back, it would be quite typical for me to polish off 10-15 light coors or other light beer, OR in an evenings time I would go thru 1.5 of those BIG bottles of wine (red usually), mixed with water/ice. I found that I could keep the BS's pretty steady, if I stayed with those sorta drinks. The tricky & sometimes scary part was trying to dose, AFTER throwin' it all back.
No, I don't keep a log. I only drink red wine mixed with either diet rite or a soda with stevia. I was drinking rum, but it caused my stomach to be irritated causing diarrhea that smelled like perm solution. Gross, I know.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:42 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I know what you mean about injecting after drinking. Sometimes I cant remember if I did it or not. So, now, I do it before my second drink lol