Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2013, 09:18 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: berighteous
Stats: 320's/258/200
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2012
Kidnapped and taken to ER by Mother in Law!

Ok, so I'm kidnapped by my mother-in-law and taken to the ER last night, because she was so worried about me drinking so much lately she was just sure I was going to go into a diabetic coma that she had to drive 10 miles to come see me and intervene.

I mostly have been drinking diet sodas and water, but I was drinking regular sodas as well. In the last 3 months or so I've been having some "diabetic" symptoms and I have been convinced for awhile that something was wrong - eye buggyness, fatigue, drinking more and more often, changes in urine odor, etc. No real "serious" issues, I felt fine most of the time. I haven't been to a doctor in years and years - I don't get sick often and I'm careful. I did get a blood glucose test at Walgreens a couple months ago and it was 215.

So anyways it was clear if I didn't go to the ER with her (even though I felt totally fine at the time) she would be planted in my living room indefinitely begging me to go. So we went.

My BG is "crazy high" on their meter (official diagnosis, cuz a doctor said it.) ~400 or so. We did have lunch at Pizza Hut a couple hours before where I did have a 44oz mountain dew with my sandwich, wings, and pasta, but still "crazy high." They poked, prodded, listened to my lungs, got blood and urine samples, and made me wait 3 hours on an uncomfortable bed.

Anywho, they got the labs back and said "I see no evidence of an acute emergency at this moment in time." They didn't feel the need to give me anything while I was there, but they officially pronounced me a diabetic and prescribed some metformin and referred me to see one of their family practice doctors "sometime in the next couple weeks" for follow up. I have an appointment on like the 19th.

So I'm hogtied to the low carb bandwagon again! Hi! At least this should keep me from jumping off again... I'm less than 10 carbs for the day - ribeye breakfast, Carl's Jr Low carb burger and coke zero for lunch and a couple plain hot dogs for dinner.

I bought a meter and at 9:30pm it says I'm 313. Beats me how it can be so high with no carbs going in, and taking the pills, but it's only day 1. I'm hoping induction level carbs for awhile will help get it down sooner.

The 90lb doctor told me "if you lost weight, you will probably get to a point where you don't need the meds..." Thanks, doc... I've lost like 60 lbs in the last 8 months.

Last edited by berighteous; 06-04-2013 at 09:22 PM..
berighteous is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2013, 04:33 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
Welcome back to LC.
As far as high BG goes do check/track how much protein and fat you eat. Protein metabolisation also calls for insulin production if in excess and then a breakdown into blood sugars. Also if your body cannot find sufficient fat it may not go into ketosis either.
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:51 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SweetMe678
Stats: 354/334/145 ~ June 3
WOE: Atkins/Gluten Free
Start Date: 11/30/2012
It is my understanding that depending on how advanced your type 2 is, it can take some time for your bs to go down.

Be thankful for you MIL My previous one would have came to sit and watch me die in from of her :P
SweetMe678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:12 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
When you said the Dr. gave you some metformin I bet she probably perscribed about
500mg twice a day with meals. Metformin is realy famous for lower GI upset so they
usually start you off with about 1000mg a day. But usually metformin doesn't do much
of anything till you have been on it a while and are taking more than that 1000mg.
It's been a long time sense I read it but I think you rarley see any effect for a few weeks. If I were you I would set up a DR's apointment as soon as possible.

It might be interesting to find out your A1c and I think Wallgreens has a cheap A1c
test. This gives an average BG reading for the last 3 months.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:51 AM   #5

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I wouldn't count on that part about not needing meds. It sounds like your insulin metabolism is pretty trashed, either with very high insulin resistance or your pancreas's inability to keep up. There is nothing wrong with diabetes meds!

Please DO low carb between now and your appointment. Have them retest you then. And pretty much insist on meds to help if your post prandial readings are over 140. That is two hours after eating your most carby meal.

Any time your blood sugars go over about 140 you are getting long term damage to your heart, kidneys, eyes, and nerves. This is NOT something you can put off dealing with. Doctors are far too loose about, try this and we will recheck in six months... meanwhile THEY are not the ones who will have to live with kidney failure, blindness, horrible nerve pain, etc. You need to be pretty insistent that you WANT to do what's necessary to control it.

The eating right/low carb is essential, and the meds are probably essential. Consider insulin. It is really not that bad to use and gives you much greater control over your blood sugars.

I am not surprised your blood sugar is that high even without eating. The Metformin will help some, as it will to get through induction so your liver doesn't have a big store of sugar to pump out in the mornings trying to be helpful, but that's what diabetes is, sadly.

best of luck *hug*
Old 06-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.W. View Post
When you said the Dr. gave you some metformin I bet she probably perscribed about
500mg twice a day with meals. Metformin is realy famous for lower GI upset so they
usually start you off with about 1000mg a day. But usually metformin doesn't do much
of anything till you have been on it a while and are taking more than that 1000mg.
It's been a long time sense I read it but I think you rarley see any effect for a few weeks. If I were you I would set up a DR's apointment as soon as possible.

It might be interesting to find out your A1c and I think Wallgreens has a cheap A1c
test. This gives an average BG reading for the last 3 months.
Thanks all for the info. Yeah, they started me at 1000mg a day for the first week and 1500mg after that. So far so good. Haven't had any stomach upset yet (at least for day 1, haven't taken it yet today)

I have an appointment on the 19th with a doctor to follow up on all the tests. They did an A1c test at the hospital, but they didn't have results back before they sent me home. My goal is to stay on induction level carbs with the meds until my appointment and see how that helps.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: heathern
Stats: 300/227/180
WOE: mod carb
It took quite a while for my sugar to come down taking metformin 2000 mg
take care and happy low carbing it;s worth getting back on the LC wagon
heathern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:24 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
If you notice the metformin is starting to bother your tummy, ask for the extended release....I think it's easier on your system...good luck, I was in the same boat!
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:41 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

hasn't caused me any grief yet. I dunno why my bg is so high. My carbs have been under 50 the last 2 days and under 10 the day before that and I'm still 271-320.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:40 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

I still say geting that cheap walgreen's A1c test now may tell you a lot before your Dr's
visit.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:33 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Caught a really bad cold and have been working on site getting ready for a wedding tomorrow (I'm a videographer) and then shooting the rehearsal dinner at a Italian restaurant. I picked at about 1/3 of my food (but remembered to take my pill.)

The cold is kicking my butt all over town and I feel awful. I get home and test and my blood sugar is 380ish (tested 4 times, but bounced around that) up until I ate a third or less of my dinner (literally only a couple bites each of lasagna, spaghetti, and veal parm and and a roll I so didn't feel like eating anything) my carbs for the day was around 30. I drank water with dinner. I don't feel like drinking, but I'm forcing myself the best I can.

What the heck? why am I so high when I'm doing everything people tell me to do? What do you all do when you're sick?
Old 06-08-2013, 02:03 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Sure it was only around 30 carbs when you had some lasagna (carbs), spaghetti (noodle carbs), veal parm (breading/carbs) and a roll (carbs)? Unless that lasagna was made from sliced zucchini, spaghetti/noodles and rolls/bread will do that and are very carby. No salad?

Being sich affects blood sugar also unfortunately.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:41 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Because you have diabetes. As you said your bg was 215 back at wall greens a couple
of weeks ago it sounds like it may be getting worse. I believe it takes 2000mg of metformin to realy have any real effect and this may not show up for a month or
so. And ofton metformin simply isn't enough. It's not uncomon to have to take it
and a couple of other oral diabetic drugs. By the way being sick or having an infection
also may make your BG go higher.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:44 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: siblita
Been there, done that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by berighteous View Post
Ok, so I'm kidnapped by my mother-in-law and taken to the ER last night...

So I'm hogtied to the low carb bandwagon again! Hi! At least this should keep me from jumping off again... I'm less than 10 carbs for the day - ribeye breakfast, Carl's Jr Low carb burger and coke zero for lunch and a couple plain hot dogs for dinner.

I bought a meter and at 9:30pm it says I'm 313. Beats me how it can be so high with no carbs going in, and taking the pills, but it's only day 1. I'm hoping induction level carbs for awhile will help get it down sooner.

The 90lb doctor told me "if you lost weight, you will probably get to a point where you don't need the meds..." Thanks, doc... I've lost like 60 lbs in the last 8 months.

When I was first diagnosed in 2010, my A1C was 13.4, my blood sugar was 300, and I was put on 3 meds. (Metformin, glipizide, and byetta). Today I am on no meds with an A1C of 5.8

Don't listen to the conventional diet taught to diabetics, and most importantly, eat to your meter. It can be reversed with the right nutritional approach - I eat low carb/high fat/ moderate protein. (I shoot for 20g net carbs a day, 75-80% of my calories from good fats)

Sibyl
siblita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:44 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

I appreciate the advice. I need to re-educate myself on all this. It's frustrating to go through the grocery store and have so few options and an onslaught of thousands of things I can't eat.

I miss the time when low carb was in fashion and there were several low carb friendly options I could just grab and go with. I spent 2 hours in the frozen food section of my super walmart reading nearly every label. wow. I did find 7! frozen dinners that were low carb friendly (15 carbs or less).

it's a good think I learned how to cook.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:01 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Shop the outside aisles, the fresh meat, produce, dairy and cheese sections, then take a detour through the canned meat (tuna, oysters, etc.) and condiment section for full fat dressings, mayo, mustard, maybe some soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Boom, done!

For convenience foods, there are things like string cheese or Babybel cheeses, olives, pickles, cold cuts, boiled eggs, cut up celery, pork rinds, and so on.

I buy pre-shredded cabbage and make my own coleslaw. I keep boiled eggs, coleslaw, maybe tuna salad, sliced hard salami (some prefer pepperoni), in the fridge at all times, ready to grab. So much better than that processed "low carb" crap.

Once you're in the groove, you'll be fine. I eat out fairly often, never have a problem. And if there isn't anything I can eat (like that wedding), I just wait and go through the drive through for a bunless burger, or get home and eat. It's not an emergency, it's an inconvenience.

Oh, I do keep Slim Jims (I know, extra super duper processed crap, but...) in my car, just in case. I'm allergic to nuts, but those would be a good emergency option for most low carbers.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:38 PM   #17
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: heidihoopi
WOE: LC My Way
Thank God for your Mother-in-law, send her a dozen roses, she may have just saved your life! She really loves you. Google Linda Sue's Low Carb Recipes, there's a wealth of good eat'n there!
heidihoopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:44 PM   #18
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: heidihoopi
WOE: LC My Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
I wouldn't count on that part about not needing meds. It sounds like your insulin metabolism is pretty trashed, either with very high insulin resistance or your pancreas's inability to keep up. There is nothing wrong with diabetes meds!

Please DO low carb between now and your appointment. Have them retest you then. And pretty much insist on meds to help if your post prandial readings are over 140. That is two hours after eating your most carby meal.

Any time your blood sugars go over about 140 you are getting long term damage to your heart, kidneys, eyes, and nerves. This is NOT something you can put off dealing with. Doctors are far too loose about, try this and we will recheck in six months... meanwhile THEY are not the ones who will have to live with kidney failure, blindness, horrible nerve pain, etc. You need to be pretty insistent that you WANT to do what's necessary to control it.The eating right/low carb is essential, and the meds are probably essential. Consider insulin. It is really not that bad to use and gives you much greater control over your blood sugars.

I am not surprised your blood sugar is that high even without eating. The Metformin will help some, as it will to get through induction so your liver doesn't have a big store of sugar to pump out in the mornings trying to be helpful, but that's what diabetes is, sadly.

best of luck *hug*
This is nothing to fool around with.
heidihoopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:02 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by berighteous View Post
I appreciate the advice. I need to re-educate myself on all this. It's frustrating to go through the grocery store and have so few options and an onslaught of thousands of things I can't eat.

I miss the time when low carb was in fashion and there were several low carb friendly options I could just grab and go with. I spent 2 hours in the frozen food section of my super walmart reading nearly every label. wow. I did find 7! frozen dinners that were low carb friendly (15 carbs or less).

it's a good think I learned how to cook.
If you are looking for frozen dinners, the Atkins ones are pretty good. I have them most days for lunch at work. I can find them at Walmart and my regular grocery store.
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:26 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Today my Blood reading is 211. Down 4 lbs this week. Guess the LC and the meds are doing something. Yesterday was the day the ER doc told me to up my dose to 750 twice a day. Queasy. (may have been the green chili pork I had yesterday, lol) I feel better now.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:20 PM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Stats: He-212, She-???
WOE: Nutitionist said go low carb
Start Date: May 2013
Having a cold will raise your blood sugar as your body fights the cold. The same for any infection, like say, a sinus infection. Metformin didn't upset my stomach, but then little does. However, at 3000 mg. (1000, three times daily) I did have to get up and change the sheets a few nights! Never knew until I woke up!
Richard & MaryAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:49 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BABSY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard & MaryAnn View Post
Having a cold will raise your blood sugar as your body fights the cold. The same for any infection, like say, a sinus infection. Metformin didn't upset my stomach, but then little does. However, at 3000 mg. (1000, three times daily) I did have to get up and change the sheets a few nights! Never knew until I woke up!
I didn't know you could take that much.
BABSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:47 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

UPDATE:
It's been about 4 weeks and I've been kicking butt and taking names. My blood glucose numbers now are really good, seeing as I was in the ER at 415 A1c 13.6 On June 3.

Today my average of readings is 123.0 (including a 96 reading after my workout) I've had 4 days straight under 150 average, the last 3 days straight under 140, the last 2 days under 130.

My running average of daily averages is 145.1 (highest day 163, lowest day today 123)

I've lost 6+ pounds.

Since diagnosis type 2, I went hard core LCHF <20 carbs Atkins Induction, added 30-40 minutes on my Nordic track ski machine, added some coconut oil to whatever I'm cooking, and the last couple days started drinking a tsp of cinnamon in a glass of water. On Metformin 2000mg now.

No cheats. As clean eating as I can manage (I have burgers without bun on salad at Wendy's etc a few times a week for lunch, but I bring low carb ketchup)

Last edited by berighteous; 06-30-2013 at 01:50 AM..
Old 06-30-2013, 02:31 AM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
you're doing a great job! Congratulations!
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:20 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Awesome update! Congratulations! KUTGW! It's worth it for your health!
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:34 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleina View Post
Welcome back to LC.
As far as high BG goes do check/track how much protein and fat you eat. Protein metabolisation also calls for insulin production if in excess and then a breakdown into blood sugars. Also if your body cannot find sufficient fat it may not go into ketosis either.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:38 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
I was on Lantus and Humalog and very insulin resistant. Within 3-4 weeks I had BG levels of 110 and was off all medication, but I stuck strictly to 4-5 oz protein at a meal and about 10-15gm of carbs and those only from green vegies.

Now by BG runs 90-95 without meds and my A1C runs about 5-6 which my doc said is phenomenal for a diabetic.

So it can be done!
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote