Old 06-02-2013, 09:01 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
Exercise question

I am a type 2 diabetic with a question about exercise. I know
it's common for exercise to temporarily raise your BG for a while.
Say I go for a little 1/2 hour walk in the morning with a starting
bg of 120 usualy after my walk it may get up to 150 or 155. Is there
any easy way to minimize this?
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2013, 11:46 AM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
huh. I have never noticed that. I do not believe it happens for me, I mean.

are you eating low carb? I imagine this is a result of the glycogen store in your liver being released, or glycogen in your muscles, and this will happen a LOT less if you are in ketosis.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:02 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shespeaks
Stats: 5'2" & 42
WOE: Atkins-based LC, "eating to my meter" for Diabetes
Start Date: Restart 8/4/2014 - 207/192.5/135
This happens to me, too, and it has from the very beginning whether I was in ketosis or not. Most people have lower BG with exercise, but we must be special snowflakes

Make sure you are eating something before morning exercise!

I generally exercise later in the day when my BG is lower so if it does rise it won't peak so high.
shespeaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:24 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
I just heard on a podcast the other day that it's considered normal. I'm sorry but I don't remember who I was listening to (someone on Jimmy Moore's Experts.)

Did you test an hour after the first test, to see if it's dropped back down?

I also notice bigger fluctuations in morning exercise to afternoon. I think morning is just a "special" time of day.
AnnetteW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 285/198/180
WOE: LC/HF for T2 diabetes
Start Date: Sept. 2011
It's totally normal to see a rise in BG right after exercise, and then a drop. It happens to me, too. I usually go up into the high 90's (high for me), and then drop into the 60's. If I'm exercising a good amount several times a week, I have to eat a spoonful of PB before I start, just as a precaution against dropping too low.
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

I realy have 2 problems. If I get up with a BG of 120 it rises about 30mg during
the first 2 hours I am up. I know this is the good old dawn effect and eating a
little like 15g of carbs ofton helps this but it just made my BG go a lot higher. Now
if I exercise say 15min to 30 min my BG also rises 20 to 30 mg. So if I take an early
morning 30min. walk 2 hours later my BG that started at 120mg may now be 165mg.

After posting this on another diabetic forum someone subjested a 5G carb snack
before my walk. I have tried this for the past 4 days and it sure has helped tame
my BG rise.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:52 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Marvin
Stats: WT=410/345/225?
WOE: Atkins induction, Bernstein
Start Date: Which time?
I have this happen. Very similar situation. Wake up = 120. If I am up for awhile and just doing things around the house, and I don't eat anything, I will see it creep up to 130-135. If I eat something; doesn't have to me much, and I don't worry about whether it's carbs or not....I usually might eat a piece of cheese, or a couple of eggs, usually within an hour I'll be back down below 100.

Exercise will do the same thing--can't remember the exact numbers--but eating even a little something seems to get the liver and pancreas straightened out again. I'd get up and eat a mostly LC snack (if not a meal) and then exercise. See if that helps.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:44 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: positivity
Great question and I just learned something new (that it's normal-- for some-- to go up after exercise!)...

I got more serious about my level of exercise a few months ago. I knew from previous experience that I had to eat before I did it or else I'd get a drop. So, without realizing that bodies change and I might not have the same reaction now as I did some seven (?) years ago (the last time I was actually using a glucometer), I would go running after a small black coffee and a banana. Imagine my surprise when I did start measuring to see that I had 160-180 after a 30-minute run! In the past, it would be more like 80 and I'd have a half banana to "catch up."

I think in my case Metformin used to work better/ more than it does now. Back then I was only on 500mg and lows were something I had to fend off. Nowadays, I'm up to 1500 and I almost *never* see a low, even after exercise. So in the case of running, I tested to see whether my sugar could stay high as it was in the morning (say 140) with no carbs at all. I would have my little black coffee (cannot wake up without it, sorry ) and then check right after a run, a half hour after a run, an hour after, etc. Truth is, it goes down eventually, but at normal rate. In other words, it gradually decreases but just as it does after a meal.

I think in my case, the exercise helps stabilize sugars, but it doesn't necessarily lower as it did in the past. In 2002 when I was diagnosed and extremely vigilant, educated (), etc., I would check my sugar, find it high, take a twenty minute walk, and find it significantly lowered. I LOVED the whole cause-effect of it. Now, I don't get that same clear signal that it's helping to run, so I'm a little de-motivated. That having been said, I know that in the bigger picture the running definitely helps! I lost a couple pesky pounds and I found more energy while I was doing it consistently.
positivity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:27 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

In my reading about this it gets a little more complicated. Usualy mild walking does
NOT cause a rise in blood sugar. I believe the article I read said that if your pulse rate
was below 138 exercise didn't cause this rise. But if your pulse goes above 138 then
the body will read this as a stress and cause this liver dump. Could this be what happens in your case that is back years ago when you went for a walk your blood sugar
went down. But now instead of walking you go for a run where your pulse probably
goes a lot higher and this and triggers the blood sugar rise.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: positivity
Yep, that's what I figured, more or less. The other relevant fact is that my baseline changed. I simply have a higher fasting sugar and it's more resistant to going down than it once was... kind of a MODY thing, I guess, but I recently had GAD65 and IA-2 antibodies tested and was negative, so honestly I'm not sure.

Maybe I used to get more immediate reaction from exercise because I had more insulin receptivity back then? I didn't only walk; I'd also sometimes run, swim, bike or do a big hike, etc. All those more "strenuous" (not really; I didn't *feel* like I was pushing myself hard or something) activities required me carrying some sort of snack with me because a drop afterward was pretty likely. Then again, maybe I was over-medicated (at 500mg metformine, I doubt it) for what the level of my diabetes was?

I'm busy with these questions in the Thyroid section if you care to follow/contribute. I'm really not sure.

I do know that I can have a reading bet. 110-130, eat nothing, go running, come back and test, and it will be between 5-20 points higher-- even if I wait a half hour before checking... it goes down eventually but never into a low area. I almost never see hypo numbers these days, even if I don't eat for 5-6 hours.
positivity is offline   Reply With Quote