Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Diabetes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/diabetes/)
-   -   Exercise question (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/diabetes/805296-exercise-question.html)

E.W. 06-02-2013 09:01 AM

Exercise question

I am a type 2 diabetic with a question about exercise. I know
it's common for exercise to temporarily raise your BG for a while.
Say I go for a little 1/2 hour walk in the morning with a starting
bg of 120 usualy after my walk it may get up to 150 or 155. Is there
any easy way to minimize this?

ravenrose 06-02-2013 11:46 AM

huh. I have never noticed that. I do not believe it happens for me, I mean.

are you eating low carb? I imagine this is a result of the glycogen store in your liver being released, or glycogen in your muscles, and this will happen a LOT less if you are in ketosis.

shespeaks 06-02-2013 07:02 PM

This happens to me, too, and it has from the very beginning whether I was in ketosis or not. Most people have lower BG with exercise, but we must be special snowflakes :)

Make sure you are eating something before morning exercise!

I generally exercise later in the day when my BG is lower so if it does rise it won't peak so high.

AnnetteW 06-03-2013 05:24 AM

I just heard on a podcast the other day that it's considered normal. I'm sorry but I don't remember who I was listening to (someone on Jimmy Moore's Experts.)

Did you test an hour after the first test, to see if it's dropped back down?

I also notice bigger fluctuations in morning exercise to afternoon. I think morning is just a "special" time of day.

Vilya 06-06-2013 02:26 PM

It's totally normal to see a rise in BG right after exercise, and then a drop. It happens to me, too. I usually go up into the high 90's (high for me), and then drop into the 60's. If I'm exercising a good amount several times a week, I have to eat a spoonful of PB before I start, just as a precaution against dropping too low.

E.W. 06-08-2013 04:48 PM

I realy have 2 problems. If I get up with a BG of 120 it rises about 30mg during
the first 2 hours I am up. I know this is the good old dawn effect and eating a
little like 15g of carbs ofton helps this but it just made my BG go a lot higher. Now
if I exercise say 15min to 30 min my BG also rises 20 to 30 mg. So if I take an early
morning 30min. walk 2 hours later my BG that started at 120mg may now be 165mg.

After posting this on another diabetic forum someone subjested a 5G carb snack
before my walk. I have tried this for the past 4 days and it sure has helped tame
my BG rise.

Marvin 06-24-2013 01:52 PM

I have this happen. Very similar situation. Wake up = 120. If I am up for awhile and just doing things around the house, and I don't eat anything, I will see it creep up to 130-135. If I eat something; doesn't have to me much, and I don't worry about whether it's carbs or not....I usually might eat a piece of cheese, or a couple of eggs, usually within an hour I'll be back down below 100.

Exercise will do the same thing--can't remember the exact numbers--but eating even a little something seems to get the liver and pancreas straightened out again. I'd get up and eat a mostly LC snack (if not a meal) and then exercise. See if that helps.

positivity 06-28-2013 10:44 AM

Great question and I just learned something new (that it's normal-- for some-- to go up after exercise!)... :)

I got more serious about my level of exercise a few months ago. I knew from previous experience that I had to eat before I did it or else I'd get a drop. So, without realizing that bodies change and I might not have the same reaction now as I did some seven (?) years ago (the last time I was actually using a glucometer), I would go running after a small black coffee and a banana. Imagine my surprise when I did start measuring to see that I had 160-180 after a 30-minute run! :eek: In the past, it would be more like 80 and I'd have a half banana to "catch up."

I think in my case Metformin used to work better/ more than it does now. Back then I was only on 500mg and lows were something I had to fend off. Nowadays, I'm up to 1500 and I almost *never* see a low, even after exercise. So in the case of running, I tested to see whether my sugar could stay high as it was in the morning (say 140) with no carbs at all. I would have my little black coffee (cannot wake up without it, sorry :o) and then check right after a run, a half hour after a run, an hour after, etc. Truth is, it goes down eventually, but at normal rate. In other words, it gradually decreases but just as it does after a meal.

I think in my case, the exercise helps stabilize sugars, but it doesn't necessarily lower as it did in the past. In 2002 when I was diagnosed and extremely vigilant, educated (:rofl:), etc., I would check my sugar, find it high, take a twenty minute walk, and find it significantly lowered. I LOVED the whole cause-effect of it. Now, I don't get that same clear signal that it's helping to run, so I'm a little de-motivated. That having been said, I know that in the bigger picture the running definitely helps! I lost a couple pesky pounds and I found more energy while I was doing it consistently.

E.W. 06-28-2013 01:27 PM

In my reading about this it gets a little more complicated. Usualy mild walking does
NOT cause a rise in blood sugar. I believe the article I read said that if your pulse rate
was below 138 exercise didn't cause this rise. But if your pulse goes above 138 then
the body will read this as a stress and cause this liver dump. Could this be what happens in your case that is back years ago when you went for a walk your blood sugar
went down. But now instead of walking you go for a run where your pulse probably
goes a lot higher and this and triggers the blood sugar rise.

positivity 07-01-2013 11:36 AM

Yep, that's what I figured, more or less. The other relevant fact is that my baseline changed. I simply have a higher fasting sugar and it's more resistant to going down than it once was... kind of a MODY thing, I guess, but I recently had GAD65 and IA-2 antibodies tested and was negative, so honestly I'm not sure.

Maybe I used to get more immediate reaction from exercise because I had more insulin receptivity back then? I didn't only walk; I'd also sometimes run, swim, bike or do a big hike, etc. All those more "strenuous" (not really; I didn't *feel* like I was pushing myself hard or something) activities required me carrying some sort of snack with me because a drop afterward was pretty likely. Then again, maybe I was over-medicated (at 500mg metformine, I doubt it) for what the level of my diabetes was?

I'm busy with these questions in the Thyroid section if you care to follow/contribute. I'm really not sure.
:dunno:

I do know that I can have a reading bet. 110-130, eat nothing, go running, come back and test, and it will be between 5-20 points higher-- even if I wait a half hour before checking... it goes down eventually but never into a low area. I almost never see hypo numbers these days, even if I don't eat for 5-6 hours.