Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Diabetes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2013, 04:35 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ronnie51
Getting black & blue-Need tips on pricking my fingers

I don't have diabetes, but I am carb sensitive so I sometimes test my blood sugar to see how a meal may have affected my BG. Lately, though, I'm finding that my fingers often become black & blue shortly after testing. It wasn't happening before, and it doesn't hurt more than it did before so I'm not sure why it's happening now. What am I doing wrong? Can you share some techniques with me to keep the black & blue from appearing? Thank you!
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2013, 07:35 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jrw85705
I try to set the depth of the lancet as shallow as possible. If I am using a new one I set it a 1 and increase just enough to get ample blood for the test. I know I once was in the hospital for a week and by the time I left it looked like mini-vampires had attached all of my fingers.

It helps to get your hands warm first. Hope this help.
Jrw85705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:33 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Ralph! I looked at my lancet and I have it set at the highest....5, so I'll put it to 1 and see if that's enough to draw enough blood. Thanks again.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:29 PM   #4
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
Make sure you're using a new lancet every time, too. If the needle is dull, it can cause bruising (and possibly infection).
You can get 2-3 sticks out of one if you're being thrifty, but more than that and it gets pretty dulled.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:37 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Good advice, Dottie. I usually use a lancet up to 3 times, but in light of the black & blue, I'll stop doing that. Thank you!
Old 05-26-2013, 05:16 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kristenaz
WOE: Low Carb
I use the AccuCheck Multiclix. It holds 6 needles at a time and they are tiny, like as thin as a strand of hair. I barely feel the stick. Hope that helps.
kristenaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:04 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Yes, thank you, kristenaz. I think I have the setting on my lancet too high....5, the highest. I'll start with that and see what happens. I appreciate everyone's help.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:21 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenaz View Post
I use the AccuCheck Multiclix. It holds 6 needles at a time and they are tiny, like as thin as a strand of hair. I barely feel the stick. Hope that helps.
That is the one I have, I have it set on 2.....also, warming your hands helps as well as placing the multiclix on the side of your finger pad and not directly in the middle of your finger.. Use your thumb to press the chosen finger on the same hand and push the skin upwards towards your nail....hurts much less. hth!
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:30 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, bella, I hadn't heard of doing that before (pressing with your thumb). All great suggestions.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:19 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

I set the lancet to 3 and it worked fine with no pain or black & blue. In fact, I didn't think it drew blood, but it did. Thanks again, everyone!