Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2013, 07:32 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jpeaceokc
Stats: 245/240/180-ish
WOE: Carbohydrate restriction
Start Date: February 2013
What would an emergency meal look like for type 2 diabetics?

We have tornadoes in Oklahoma today, and one of the things about disasters is that "emergency meals" show up. These are boxed meals, prepared by various agencies like the Red Cross, Salvation Army, church organizations, etc. , with shelf stable foods.

I am part of a church group that provides food help to low income people, and we just got a bunch of those kind of meals in from the regional food bank. I opened one of each batch and looked at it, and with the sole exception of one batch which had Vienna sausage in it, there wasn't anything that I recognized as appropriate food for someone with type 2 diabetes who is working on a carbohydrate restricted diet.

So I find myself thinking. . . what would a "boxed emergency meal" for a diabetic on carbohydrate restriction look like?

Maybe. . .

Vienna sausage
Tuna
Canned or packaged nuts
Jerky
Peanut butter (but not the crackers!)
Parmesan cheese packets

Are there shelf stable packagings for cheese, dill pickles?

What else?
jpeaceokc is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2013, 10:24 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kristenaz
WOE: Low Carb
Canned vegetables, such as green beans, might be a good addition. Canned chicken or beef would probably work as well.
kristenaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:35 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
What a great idea! How long do the foods need to be "shelf stable" for? Months or years? There are quite a few shelf stable summer sausage/salami/pepperoni type products but they are probably ok for months rather than years. Canned salmon or any canned seafood would be good (more expensive than tuna probably though). There are definitely shelf stable pickles (in glass jars or I've also seen individual ones in plastic), however they are in liquid. Canned olives or any canned non-startchy vegetable (no corn, carrots, beets, or potatoes) would be good. Packets of artifical sweetener (like splenda or the generic equivalent) would be good. Tea, coffee.
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:40 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nancypie11
Stats: 191/172/145
WOE: LCHF/IF, insulin resistant
Start Date: Dec 17th 2012
There are many companies that make emergency foods that are low carb friendly. I started buying from shelf reliance aka thrive. They have freeze dried of every type of meat, veggies, and dairy products like butter and shredded cheese. The cans are shelf stable for around 25 years unopened, and 1 year opened. I have enough low carb for for my husband and I, and "regular" food for my kids as well. I don't think the make individual meals for disaster relief type situations though. When we go camping as a family, I put together meals in baggies, so we can just add water, like chicken, spinach, and then I bring mayo to add for chicken salad, or taco meat and shredded cheese with fresh romaine for taco salad. It's actually quite good believe it or not

Sahm to 4 kiddos, wife to a lc hubby
Diagnosed insulin resistant 1/2013
Goals:
1: 160 lbs
2. size 10 jeans
3: 145 lbs

Nancypie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:53 AM   #5
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
Jack Link's (available at walmart and other stores) make packs with sausage, cheese and pretzels or just sausage and cheese.
Pic of the sausage, cheese and pretzel one below:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jacklinks.jpg (37.8 KB, 4 views)
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:53 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Helping diabetics hit by disaster

This "theoretical" post has become a reality, being as how 13,000 homes were destroyed by a tornado in moore. Our church is making up snack packs this week and I am working on getting us to focus on diabetic packs.

Here's my list, made from comments in this thread and elsewhere. I am only listing items that can be easily bought off the shelf.

Individual servings of tuna
Condiment packages of relish, mayo, mustard
Canned tuna salad
Canned chicken salad
Canned sardines
Kippered snacks
Beef jerky
Beef snack sticks
Individually packaged dill pickles
Vienna sausage
Peanut butter (NOT peanut butter and crackers)
Parmesan cheese packets
Jack Links (individually packaged meat snack sticks and cheese)
Packages of nuts (cashews,peanuts, pecans, almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds)
Old 05-23-2013, 07:27 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Oh wow! What a terrible reason to have to implement your plan into action, but so wonderful that you are going to be helping the people in Moore in this way.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
That's a great idea, and I'm glad you're able to help right now.

I'm not diabetic, but I am pretty strictly low carb. I live a few blocks from the ocean in SoCal, and after the tsunamis in Japan, I started to get better prepared for a big earthquake or tsunami. I have canned seafood and meat and some acceptable canned veggies in my earthquake kits, both in the house and in the trunk of the car. My dog eats a raw diet, and can eat canned meats/seafood in a pinch, so I have enough for the two of us to eat for about a week.

I'm going to look into Thrive, thanks for the info.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:39 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chocolate Rose
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: February 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancypie11 View Post
There are many companies that make emergency foods that are low carb friendly. I started buying from shelf reliance aka thrive...
I heard about this company several months ago and then forgot to follow through. We have our emergency stash of food, but put it together before I was diagnosed so pretty much all of it is inedible for me now (rice, beans, wheat, etc.). I was looking into this specifically for food storage/emergency foods for type 2 diabetics. I chickened out of buying anything because I was afraid of ending up with food we wouldn't like or use. I'm particularly interested in the eggs, butter, cheese, chicken, sausage, and beef. I've watched some of the videos and everything looks good. The reviews are almost too good to believe. Can you share more info on what you've used and really liked? Do you use it for your regular meals or just as emergency and camping?
Thanks for any additional info.
Chocolate Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:46 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nancypie11
Stats: 191/172/145
WOE: LCHF/IF, insulin resistant
Start Date: Dec 17th 2012
If you are interested in trying it out they do "parties" like pampered chef. Just tell them what you are looking forward to trying and they have it all there for you to try. I like thier chopped chicken, you can't really tell a difference from canned chicken. I haven't trying a ton of thier meat except the taco meat and chicken, but my next shipment comes with bacon and ham so ill let you know. The butter is good and so are the scrambled eggs. I've used it in the hamburger pie recipe when I ran out of eggs, and I didn't see a difference... I have incorporated some into our daily meals, ie my kids LOVE thier fruits and yogurt bites, and the tomato powder and chopped chilis and bell peppers I add in things to make them more flavorful. I added raspberries to cream cheese muffins and they were good too.
Nancypie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:10 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chocolate Rose
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: February 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancypie11 View Post
If you are interested in trying it out they do "parties" like pampered chef. Just tell them what you are looking forward to trying and they have it all there for you to try. ..
I'll check into this. Thanks for the additional info and I'd love to know what you think of the bacon and ham.
Chocolate Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:55 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

The best laid plans. . .

So here is the list I prepared for the parish staff to post at our website and distribute at this weekend's masses:

Condiment packages of relish, mayo, mustard
Canned tuna salad
Canned chicken salad
Canned sardines
Kippered snacks
Beef jerky
Beef snack sticks
Individually packaged dill pickles
Vienna sausage
Small containers Peanut butter (NOT peanut butter and crackers)
Parmesan cheese packets
Jack Links (individually packaged meat snack sticks and cheese, don’t get the ones with pretzels)
Packages of nuts (cashews,peanuts, pecans, almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds)

Here's the list that was posted. The additions are in ALL CAPS.

Condiment packages of relish,mayo,mustard
Canned tuna salad or chicken sald
TRAIL MIX WITH DRIED FRUIT
INDIVIDUAL SIZE CANNED FRUIT
WHOLE WHEAT CRACKERS
beef jerky
beef snack sticks
small containers peanut butter
PEANUT BUTTER AND CRACKERS
Jack links
Packages of nuts

These items on my list were deleted:
Canned sardines
Kippered snacks
Dill pickles
parmesan cheese packets

SO.. . we had some good stuff show up and we can make up some snack packs for diabetics. But we had a bunch of other stuff that should come nowhere near a snack pack for a diabtic, such as the PB and crackers (23 g carbs), canned fruit (34+ g carbs per can), and sugared trail mixes with dried fruit. We got a bunch of Chex Mix, lol.

The changes were supposedly made by a "nutritionist" that my pastor showed my list to.

So we'll have two kinds of snack packs. One that is diabetic friendly, one that is standard.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:15 PM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Well, it's better than it could be. You did a good job. Too bad the "nutritionist" didn't do better.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:23 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

You did good. At least some of what you asked for made it to the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeaceokc View Post

The changes were supposedly made by a "nutritionist" that my pastor showed my list to.

So we'll have two kinds of snack packs. One that is diabetic friendly, one that is standard.
Of course the nutritionist made the changes. You need whole wheat and fruit to have a balanced diet, don't ya know?
Old 05-26-2013, 01:39 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
Of course the nutritionist made the changes. You need whole wheat and fruit to have a balanced diet, don't ya know?
Oh yes indeedy, and it must be canned fruit in a SUGAR drenched syrup. To tell the truth, if I am going to waste carbs like that, it would be for something Really Good like Tiramisu, lol. But that would hardly work for an emergency snack pack, lol.

Anyway, we are putting these things together tomorrow. And being as how I Am IN Charge and am coming in on a holiday to do it. . . the "diabetic friendly" packs will get ONLY the actual diabetic friendly stuff, and the rest will be labelled "Regular".
Old 05-26-2013, 01:42 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
Well, it's better than it could be. You did a good job. Too bad the "nutritionist" didn't do better.
It makes me wonder -- what do they teach in nutritionist school about diabetic nutrition? It's like she had never heard of carb restriction.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:58 PM   #17
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: debkeversole
Stats: 370/343/199
WOE: 8/29/11 R9P2 HCG diet
Start Date: 10-8-09
Quote:
Oh yes indeedy, and it must be canned fruit in a SUGAR drenched syrup. To tell the truth, if I am going to waste carbs like that, it would be for something Really Good like Tiramisu, lol. But that would hardly work for an emergency snack pack, lol.

Anyway, we are putting these things together tomorrow. And being as how I Am IN Charge and am coming in on a holiday to do it. . . the "diabetic friendly" packs will get ONLY the actual diabetic friendly stuff, and the rest will be labelled "Regular".
thank you thank you for doing this! and yeah i went to a nutritionist one time per my doc recoommendation and knew more than she did but she got paid and i was the one forking over the money complete waste of my time and cash!
debkeversole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:02 PM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
It makes me wonder -- what do they teach in nutritionist school about diabetic nutrition? It's like she had never heard of carb restriction.
Never ever go to the American Diabetic Association's website and read their diet recommendations. It'll make your head explode.

I went some months back, after a friend told me about the class they took for newly diagnosed diabetics. I was so angry I wanted to spit. I swear the recommendations look like they were out together by a panel of diabetes drug companies, because no one who honestly wants a diabetic to keep their blood sugar controlled would make those recommendations. No one.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:25 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JudyMS
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 01/23/2012
On the other hand, having something with sugar in the packs might not be such a bad thing, as long as they are clearly labeled...someone may have a drop in their blood sugar levels during a disaster and need something to help them, especially if they can't easily get to a doctor or hospital. I always keep a few pieces of peppermint candy on hand, but other may not think about that in advance of a tragic event. I think these emergency packs are a wonderful idea, too. I wish I had the means to help create some of those for our area as well. Hurricane season is also upon us. We've been blessed here in Mississippi to not have had any tornadoes lately, but you never know when something will hit with our crazy weather here in the south. Bless you and your group for putting those boxes together...I know they will also bless many people!
JudyMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:35 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Emergency advice at endo's office

I went in for my regularly scheduled visit to my endocrinologist about 2 weeks after we did the emergency food packs. He gave me a little pamphlet on developing a diabetic emergency kit, which was pretty good. It suggested packing foods "that your normally eat as a diabetic" rather than making a specific recommendation. My A1C was also down to 6.1, which made him and me happy.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:17 AM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: NMSunshine
I've been researching this for a few years. Just after I was newly diagnosed I got caught in a 3hr traffic jam while they landed a helicopter for life flight. I sat there with only a candy bar to eat in the car. (bought to put in dh's lunch) It was hours since I had breakfast. I could feel my bs dropping. Not a pretty site. By the time I made it home I was such a mess and I did eat the candy bar.
Ever since then I have not been without food in my car, or purse. I regularly carry Nature Valley Protein bars. 10g protein, 14g carbs. It's a little too many carbs for the amount of food you consume but not too many to totally screw me up. I also now carry a protein drink from Sam's, 30g protein, 6g carbs.
Back to your list, I didn't see any green things except for the pickle..It's hard finding green things in a can and that I like. Spinach, green beans and collard greens are some of the few. I have even added Nori to my emergency kits. Good to eat just as is. Harmony House has TVP chunks flavored as chicken of beef. If you eat baco bits, you've had TVP. It's soy not real meat. It does have some carbs, about 7g per cup reconstituted.
jpeaceokc, Great list you have. Your town is lucky to have you to care about their diabetics.
Chocolate Rose, One thing to remember for your own families when storing emergency foods is that you may be doing a lot more activity and can handle 1/2 cup of rice. I too have quite a bit stored away and now look at it and wonder what I could eat. If we have an earthquake and need to walk the 5 - 10 miles to get help I bet I could eat some of the canned peas and not have too high of numbers.
NMSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote