Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Diabetes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kristenaz
WOE: Low Carb
Diabetes Meds Not Working?

Hello, all. I'm a long-time follower of a low carb lifestyle. I found that having kids and encountering some major struggles in life (my son being diagnosed with cancer and autism at 2.5 being the biggest) left me yo-yo'ing back and forth between low carb and binging on crap. My diabetes finally got to the point where it was out of control. My A1C in April was 10.8 (I wasn't aware of that until 3 weeks ago). Upon hearing the results of my blood work I've decided to get back on track for good this time. I've been averaging 30 net carbs per day since and I've lost 11lbs (48lbs. total since hitting my highest weight ever in June '12). My fasting blood sugars are around 200 as opposed to 300-360 three weeks ago. I'm on the right track but I know I have a LONG way to go. My new PCP decided to increase my medication. I am now taking 1,500mg of metformin daily, as well as 15mg of glipizde daily (10mg in the AM and 5mg in the PM). The first two days on the increased dosages yielded good results. My fasting BG was below 200 (190 and 175 respectively). Now it seems to be creeping back up. This is the same pattern that has occurred every time I've started a new medication or my dosage is increased. In 2011, when I was diagnosed, my fasting BG levels were around 150-175. Am I a freak of nature? Is this all a sign of severe insulin resistance?

I appreciate any input.
kristenaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
You can't tell how a medication change is working that fast. Is your question why the meds worked better for a few day? Not sure, but it doesn't really matter. You need to find the dosages that work longer term, of course.

the meds ARE working, right? your numbers have dropped a lot. it's just a matter of having to figure out the best doses, and to do that safely takes some time and testing.

personally, I think insulin is a LOT better choice than glipizide. you might want to read about these drugs on BloodSugar101.

it is really important to get your glucose levels down, as you know. especially when you have a child who needs you so much, your health is really important! the most important thing is to get your post prandial readings down to below 140. I know that is always off for you, but that should be the target.

I think you would find an injection of Levemir long acting insulin morning and evening helped a LOT. the needles and PENS (do not let them give you the type you have to use syringes with!) are very easy and relatively painless. less pain than finger stick testing, that's for sure!

dosing insulin is troublesome when people eat wildly different amounts of carbs from day to day and meal to meal, but it's EASY and safe when you are eating so low carb. think about discussing this with your doctor. and good luck!!! *hug*
Old 05-18-2013, 10:53 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kristenaz
WOE: Low Carb
Thank you for your reply.

My PP readings are good, actually. It's just my fasting that remains high. My last two PP BG levels today were 95 and 111.

I've been on medication for 2 years (since diagnosis). Initially, the meds work then, for whatever reason, my BG levels creep back up. At which point my doctor will increase or change meds and the cycle repeats itself.

We discussed Lantus at my appointment last week. I believe that's one of the pens. I was insulin dependent during my pregnancies and had to use the old method of vials and syringes. It wasn't awful but if there's an easier way, I'm all for it. The only thing that scares me about insulin is experiencing hypoglycemia (I'm a SAHM and worry that it would happen while alone with the kids).

Last edited by kristenaz; 05-18-2013 at 10:57 PM..
kristenaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:44 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dsalazar4
Stats: 246.8
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 6/25/2012
Lantus has worked really well for me. I am off the glipizide now. My A1c in December was 9.5 and this month is down to 6.5. My fasting has always been high as well. With the Lantus I am ususally under 140 unless of course I am eating something carby. Really try not to but some days I just have bad days. Good luck to you.
dsalazar4 is offline   Reply With Quote