Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Diabetes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 11:11 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Liz1959
Severe Acute Necrotizing Pancreatitis! Help please.

Hi all, I'm hoping to get some help here. My previously healthy, independent, 75 year old mother suffered an attack 3 weeks ago and has been in the hospital and now rehab. She was just told yesterday when she was transferred to Rehab that she is now diabetic. Somewhat luckily being low carb I assumed this 2 weeks ago. They told her her pancreas is mostly gone.
She is on a nasal feeding system now to let her pancreas "rest".
It has been difficult for me to get information from the doctors and she doesn't know what questions to ask.
Has anyone here experienced this?
I'm trying to gather information on what her future looks like.
Besides insulin I am guessing she may also need digestive enzymes. How do they even evaluate the function of the pancreas?
She hasn't recieved any information at all. The priority at this time is the infection, but the system seems to be moving really fast and they seem overly concerned with physical therapy.
I know she will soon be getting the low fat, high carb diet instruction and have already picked up a copy of Bernstein's Diabetes Solution for her to read after that.
Is anyone here diabetic from sudden pancreatitis? I suspect this may have been going on for awhile, but they say when it hits it can destroy the pancreas within days, so I am not sure what caused it.
Life is changing really fast. Just hoping for help.
TIA
Liz1959 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2013, 03:49 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Anne Frank
WOE: Blood type diet
Start Date: Sept 2010
Pancreas problems

Saw your message and wanted to mention that Januvia is mentioned as causing pancreas problems, major ones, as just some of the side effects in taking it. Perhaps she was or is on this or other medications that cause pancreas problems?
Anne Frank is offline   Reply With Quote