Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Diabetes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 08:02 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oceanlover66
WOE: low carb
Got m A1c results and

First, I have to say I am NOT a diabetic. However, I have had impaired FBG for 3 years.(103,105,107). I took a home A1c in January and it said 5.8. Now, understand I was eating sugar ALL day. Sweet tea, PB cups, donuts, junk food etc. My Dr. was not concerned with that home A1c reading. But I was. So I had her write me a lab slip to have it tested in May.

In January I cut/reduced my sugar intake to almost nothing. I cut carbs. I exercised, but not a lot. Admittedly. I danced once a week. I was 144 pounds on January 1st, as of today I am 128 pounds. My goal weight was 130. So I have been "hovering" between 127-130 for the past month.

Well, my A1c on my home test on Tuesday told me 5.2. I was having blood drawn the next day, so this would also tellme if those home A1c tests were reliable. I also checked my blood sugar that tuesday morning and it said 93. Not sure if I can trust my meter or not. But that was the best fasting I had in months. Usually it ran between 98-103 at home.

Sooooooooooo................my A1c came in at 5.2!!!!!! So, this proves that by cutting back on sugar and carbs CAN lower your A1c.

Again, I was NOT diabetic. But I had impaired fasting glucose.

So, I will continue on my WOE, because it WORKS.

I know 5.8 was still "normal". But I wanted "better". I know many sites say below 5 is optimal. But I think this is pretty darn good. So for those of you who DO have diabetes, I wanted to encourage you that by cutting carbs and sugar, it can be done!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2013, 09:45 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tymom
Stats: Big/ not so big/ small
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August (this time around)
Fabulous. DH went LC at the end of January (he is mild diabetic) and went in for bloodwork today. Looking forward to seeing results!!!!
tymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:11 AM   #3
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I just want to point out that it doesn't matter that you were eating sugar all day when you did that test in January. The value of the A1C is that it reports your average blood sugar readings over the preceding 3 months.

In fact, often low carbers will have a relatively high fasting number, and that's one reason my endo relies much more on my A1C. Like you, I am not diabetic, but all my siblings are Type 2, so I've always been concerned.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:56 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
I just want to point out that it doesn't matter that you were eating sugar all day when you did that test in January. The value of the A1C is that it reports your average blood sugar readings over the preceding 3 months.

In fact, often low carbers will have a relatively high fasting number, and that's one reason my endo relies much more on my A1C. Like you, I am not diabetic, but all my siblings are Type 2, so I've always been concerned.
I took it to mean she was eating sugar "all day, every day" even though she didn't specify "every day". And once she cut of the sugar, her A1C dropped from 5.8 to 5.2. I could be wrong though!
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:45 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oceanlover66
I will clarify. In January I had fasting bloodwork done. My FBS was 107. I bought a home A1c test. It said 5.8. So, it had tested the prior 3 months. That was when I was eating and drinking sugar, all day. EVERY day. Donuts, or PB cups, sweet tea is all I drank, or mixed powder teas. White bread, pastas, processed foods etc.

So, I had my A1c done by lab on Wed. I started low carbing/cut down sugar right away in January. My number on my home A1c on Tuesday was 5.2. The lab also got 5.2.

So changing my WOE in the past three months did lower my A1c.
oceanlover66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:10 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: haferchamp
Start Date: 12/15/12
Congratulation! It does work and I too am proof. Last December my A1c came in at 6.1 and I immediately went low carb. Tested again in March and it had dropped to 5.1. All other numbers came down as well. Total cholestoral dropped from 255 to 205. I didn't loose nearly as many pounds as you did but i'm still happy with the results. The weight loss for me was a bonus as I was in the pre-diabetic range and didn't want to go into full blown diabetes.
haferchamp is offline   Reply With Quote