Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 10:54 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MSN08
Stats: sizes 18/6 calling goal!
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 2012
High glucose after 3 days of (non intentional fasting)

I just got out of the Hospital for an EGD and have found 6 ulcers and other lacerations in my stomach. At the point of hospitalization I had not eaten or drank anything at all except 1 sip of broth and 4 sips of water in 3 days because of the severe stomach and back pain(which is why I went) my blood testing showed glucose level at 121 although I know that is not alarmingly high, I would have expected low blood sugar not high, however the Dr. said he is not worried because it runs a little higher than normal when we are sick. Have you found this to be true? I have been diagnosed insulin resistant before so I worry I am getting into diabetes territory. No matter what I will continue to watch my sugars I just want to know if any of you think I should be concerned about this or if you have seen rises when you are sick also? Thanks in advance.
MSN08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2013, 02:56 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: red65
It is my understanding that BS can run high due to illness or stress to the body. How often do you test and what are the usual numbers? Have you had an A1C lately? I think those things would paint a more accurate picture.

I hope you feel better soon.
red65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:05 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by red65 View Post
It is my understanding that BS can run high due to illness or stress to the body. How often do you test and what are the usual numbers? Have you had an A1C lately? I think those things would paint a more accurate picture.

I hope you feel better soon.
I check when I feel hypoglycemic. My numbers are always in the normal range even when I am shaking so badly I can barely do the test. low 90's. I have never had an A1C done just the 3 hour glucose testing. Thank you
Old 04-24-2013, 07:43 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: haferchamp
Start Date: 12/15/12
I'm thinking that yes your blood sugars will run higher when sick due to inflammation in body. I'm wishing you a speedy recovery and hopefully you will see your blood sugars come back down once the inflammation is cleared up.
haferchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:13 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lavender Blend
Stats: 380/343/160
Hope you feel better soon.

If you're worried about diabetes, have you had them check an A1C on you?
Lavender Blend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:44 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
I'm a type2 who takes insulin and found that being ill always makes my blood glucose go up. Anything like inflammation, severe stress, vomiting, severe coughing, or infection can make blood glucose rise. I think some ulcers are caused by infection...perhaps that is causing your problem.

A A1c test gives you more of an average of blood sugars over the previous 3 months. The doctor might give you some medication for the higher blood glucose, but shouldn't really give you a diabetes diagnosis until you have recovered and things are back to normal.

Hope you feel better soon.
Mobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:06 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the replies. I am doing better and my sugar has been normal range again. I still want the A1C test done and as soon as I catch up on some bills I will be going in for that. Thanks again!
Old 04-30-2013, 05:45 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
Depending on your insurence ect. you might just pick up a home A!C test I think
they are avaliable for about $20 and give pretty good results.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:19 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 285/198/180
WOE: LC/HF for T2 diabetes
Start Date: Sept. 2011
Yes, our BG does increase in times of stress or illness, so what you experienced is perfectly normal.

If you get one of the home A1C kits, everyone I know who has tried them says that the mail-away one is more accurate than the instant one. Bayer makes the instant-read, and Walmart makes the mail-away. They are both available at Walmart.

I don't think the Bayer test is BAD, just that the mail-away test is sent to a lab, so therefore it's a little more accurate (this is from people I know who tried both and then had their A1C done at the doctor's office as well, and compared all the results).
6/22/13: the 100 lb. loss only lasted a few weeks, and I've since regained some of the weight. Stats updated to reflect this.
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:53 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
About feeling like you have hypoglycemia when you test normal. Long ago around
1978 Phychology Today had an article about that. It boiled down to high insulin levels
can sometimes give the same symptoms as hypoglycemia without being hypoglycemic.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:20 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.W. View Post
About feeling like you have hypoglycemia when you test normal. Long ago around
1978 Phychology Today had an article about that. It boiled down to high insulin levels
can sometimes give the same symptoms as hypoglycemia without being hypoglycemic.
I do have high insulin levels my glucose testing showed 4x too much insulin released and it brought my sugar down to 46 during the test. I recently read that feeling hypoglycemic but having normal range numbers could mean that blood sugar is running high so often that the "normal" is now perceived as a low by the body. I am going to go look into that home A1c testing, I did not know that was available. Thank you all.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: soapluvr
I remember when I had surgery my blood sugar levels were a little high and I had not eaten anything just like you. BUT............when I had to fast for my colonoscopy my blood sugar got down to 78 and stayed there until I ate. That's the only thing that made me happy about my colonoscopy! :+)
soapluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

So for two days now I have had high fasting readings 103 and 124. Today I checked my levels 1 hour after a meal and it was 128 then at 3 hours after that meal it was 146. I checked because I was shaking and sweaty with rapid heartbeat and I was certain I was getting low but at 146 no way. So since it was a false hypo I did not treat it and continued to suffer with feeling hypo at 5 hours past my reading was down to 98 and I felt worse than ever so I ate some bacon and drank some water and still feel like doodoo. I think its time to take this for what it is and get serious because I appear to be in diabetic territory right? I have had red flags for 3 years now but felt it was under control until my hospitalization and the medications they gave me that raised my blood sugar and now I feel so awful much of the time
Old 05-09-2013, 08:31 AM   #14
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Have you checked your equipment? Maybe the test strips are bad(expired, got moisture in them?). Monitor need new batteries? Checked it with a new supply of strips and the control liquid?
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:35 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Have you checked your equipment? Maybe the test strips are bad(expired, got moisture in them?). Monitor need new batteries? Checked it with a new supply of strips and the control liquid?
I have not checked with a new supply or control liquid, I will do that thanks. I did have my dh check his, he doesn't have any issues and his is in normal range on my tester. I have been so thirsty that I cannot sleep at night and waking up soaked in sweat just around my neck so I'm thinking if it is my strips I have to be hypo much of the time with nearly constant shaking,being so cold it feels like ice water has replaced the blood in my veins yet sweating and my temperature is always 96.0. I keep having relapses. I go months without any symptoms and then they come back ugh.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:52 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

My a1c is 5.1 so it must be something else making me feel like this
Old 06-01-2013, 01:39 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JudyMS
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 01/23/2012
I can also confirm that infections will cause your blood sugar to go up too high. In fact, I'm on an antibiotic at this very moment because my doctor believes I have some sort of lingering infection in my body that is keeping my blood sugar too high. I got some pollen in my eye back in March, which I often do during sneezing season here in the deep south - the area I live was named the city with the worst allergies, how lovely, I could have told the experts that already! LOL At any rate, usually when I get pollen in that particular eye, it's irritated for a day, but no more than 2 days. This time it just got worse, and by day three my eye and entire side of my face was swollen. It turns out that the cornea in my eye was somehow scratched, and a staph infection ensued. I was on antibiotics for that for 2 full weeks, but just a few days after my antibiotics were up, I got a stomach virus of some kind and was sick, sick, sick for 10 full days. My blood sugar jumped up to over 300, after having had it under control (80-85) for a full year with no problems. I couldn't get it back down so back to the doctor I went and she said that it was definitely an infection hanging on. We upped my insulin, started another antibiotic and I'm staying completely clean with my low carb'ing and everything is getting back to normal now. Get your thyroid checked too...some of the symptoms you are talking about are signs of thyoid disease - feeling cold, sweating, low temperature, rapid heartbeat. You sound a lot like my Mother, who has Graves (hyperthyroid). I am the opposite, with Hashimoto's (hypothyroidism). Both of us also have diabetes...thyroid diseases can cause diabetes and other autoimmune problems as well. It's all connected! I hope you feel better soon!
JudyMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:51 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Elgar
Stats: 182/170/150
WOE: HCG-2, Juicing & LC
Start Date: May 2013 (restart)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSN08 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I am doing better and my sugar has been normal range again. I still want the A1C test done and as soon as I catch up on some bills I will be going in for that. Thanks again!
Walmart's Relion A1c test kit is only $9.00 and I've found it accurate. I find it with the diabetic testing supplies in the pharmacy.
Elgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:03 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: saponaria
Stats: 200/172/120
WOE: Atkins, Weston Price, Bernstein
I'm assuming you were on an IV in the hospital? Could it have had glucose on it? But otherwise stress and infections certainly drive up bg.
saponaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:02 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: berighteous
Stats: 320's/258/200
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2012
how high can one's numbers go up when you're sick? I've seen several people say they go up on here, but I don't recall ever seeing anyone say how much they go up. Is it a slight elevation, like 10-20 or something like 50-75 or more?
berighteous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:05 PM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kathi b
Stats: 185/185/170
WOE: VLCHF
Start Date: June 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by berighteous View Post
how high can one's numbers go up when you're sick? I've seen several people say they go up on here, but I don't recall ever seeing anyone say how much they go up. Is it a slight elevation, like 10-20 or something like 50-75 or more?

I had a flu (not THE FLU) in february and my numbers went up from my normal low 100's to low 200's. It also took me 5 weeks to begin to recover. Diabetes can really play games with the body. I'm only now beginning to feel strong and human. I'm sure it's different for everybody. Like everything else about diabetes.
kathi b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:24 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dirty Harriet
Stats: 425/200/190 @ 5'7" size 14/16, age 55 (-235#)
WOE: 40Gm carbs/day + WLS
Start Date: 8/11/2005 lap band; maintaining since 7/4/08!!!
Kathib: it can go from normal to over 300, as it did with me when I had pneumonia.
I just posted a lot of info on this, under the diabetes sub-link: "diabetes educator: so rude", in response to the entire disease process.
Dirty Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote