Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Diabetes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/diabetes/)
-   -   Bernsteins and Blood Sugar Readings (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/diabetes/802274-bernsteins-blood-sugar-readings.html)

BecBelle 04-16-2013 04:12 PM

Bernsteins and Blood Sugar Readings

Has anyone been able to use Bernstein's diet to get their BS readings normal? When I say normal I mean close to 83. If so are you on Metformin? How long did it take you?

This is another thread on behalf of my Mom. She has been doing Bernsteins diet along with Metformin for 2 weeks now.Her numbers are better but she is curious about other peoples experience.

Mistizoom 04-16-2013 05:08 PM

If we are talking Type II diabetes, I am pretty sure Jrw85705 who posts on this forum quite often has done so. My DH also got his A1C way down in three months on strict LC (not 100% Bernstein but close) and metformin. Any reason they are only looking at fasting blood glucose for your mom instead of A1C? Also, I wouldn't expect to see any major results in just two weeks - metformin takes a bit to start working.

haferchamp 04-16-2013 07:56 PM

My fasting blood sugars are still high in mornings but my A1c number dropped from 6.1% to 5.1% in just 3 months of low carb eating. My cholestoral also dropped from 255 to 205. My low carb eating is more along the line of the "Diabetes Miracle" by Diane Kress. I stayed on Phase 1 for 3 months and it was pretty easy. Just now started on Phase 2 after my last test results. ;)

cfine 04-17-2013 05:14 AM

I am close to getting my BS to that number. My fasting number had dropped to a new low of 87. I do LC but not at Bernsteins levels. He is too severe for me. I also take berberine and it has helped a lot.

Jrw85705 04-17-2013 08:56 AM

I have followed Dr. Bís guidelines since January of 2011. Before I started my morning glucose readings averaged 110 Ė 115 and that was being on the highest dosage of Victoza and 2000mg of metformin a day. My A1c readings were 5.9 Ė 6.1. I saw an immediate drop into the high 80ís while still taking all of my meds. My A1c readings now are 5.1 Ė 5.3. I had been on metformin since 2005 so my big change was my diet, not meds.

As I progressed my Dr. had me slowing decrease the Victoza until I stopped and then he had me decrease the metformin until as of November 2012 I stopped taking it. Each time I made a medication adjustment my numbers would rise by several points but within a couple of weeks they would be back into the 80s.

So as you can see itís been a 2 years journey and I never cheat or allow myself an off day. Thatís not bragging but an admission that I must maintain total control or I fear I will fall off the wagon completely.

If I needed I would have no problem going back onto metformin. It is one of the most used drugs without having many bad side effects (not counting the occasional gastro upset).

BecBelle 04-18-2013 01:44 PM

On behalf of my Mom: Thanks for all the replies!!!

Vilya 04-20-2013 05:31 AM

I'm a Type 2 and control my D with Metformin and LC diet. My numbers stay between 70-95 almost 100% of the time, even after meals. I eat about 30 carbs a day most days.

It took me about 4 months or so to start getting consistent readings in the 80's.