Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BecBelle
Stats: 292.2/261.6/145 5ft4in
WOE: Induction
Start Date: Repeat Offender-Original Start 09/03/10
Which glucose monitoring system hurts the least?

Hi Everyone,
My Mom was recently diagnosed. She needs to start monitoring her blood sugar. She needs to know which meter to get. Her main concern is pain from pricking. Which system hurts less or uses the least amount of blood.

She has been low carbing for 4 years.She reads this forum a lot. Due to computer illiteracy she doesn't know how to post threads. So I do it for her.

Any info is appreciated.
BecBelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2013, 08:11 PM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
the thing you use to prick is separate from the meter, so you don't have to use the one provided by the manufacturer, that is one thing to know.

I find the secret is to prick on the SIDE of my ring fingertip. I am right handed so I prick the side of my left ring finger closest to my little finger. there are less nerve endings on the side than the front of the fingertip, plus doing it in the same place all the time develops a little callus so it hurts less.

it's really not that painful if you adjust the lance thing to the minimal prick it has to make to draw blood. it's more a matter of being afraid of it. you really get used to it pretty fast when you think of it as what's standing between you and dangerous complications like blindness and kidney failure! it's worth doing whatever you have to do to control it well.

oh, another thing... you don't need a clean new pricker every time if only one person uses it. I only change the needle part every couple of months. they SAY it dulls, but that's nonsense. think about that steel and about the flesh of your fingertip. you do NOT dull it. people dull those tiny tiny tiny fine needles used for insulin, and they get confused from that.

I hope her doctor has prescribed Metformin. It's cheap and good and the earlier it starts the better it helps long term. there is NO ADVANTAGE to waiting... that is just denial!

best of luck.

Last edited by ravenrose; 04-08-2013 at 08:13 PM..
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:02 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: haferchamp
Start Date: 12/15/12
Walmart has several to choose from that are inexpensive. The thing to look for is the cost of the strips since they can be pricey. Also if she has insurance they will often have certain brands they will cover. I too was afraid to prick my finger at first but once I did it for the first time I was really suprised that it didn't hurt. I use the side of my baby finger and all it takes is an itsy bitsy drop. I don't change my needle but every so often and it doesn't seem to dull. The Relion brand I purchased from Walmart came with a bunch of needles and 50 strips.
haferchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shopgirl
Stats: 255/237/135
WOE: Low Carb / 5:2
Start Date: May 31, 2011
Guess I am different. I can't use my needle more than 4 or 5 times without it starting to hurt. You can definitely tell a difference in how much it stings when you are not using a fresh needle, in my opinion.
shopgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:34 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 285/198/180
WOE: LC/HF for T2 diabetes
Start Date: Sept. 2011
I use the OneTouch Delica lancet, which is the least painful in my opinion. The needle is hair-thin. I prick the sides of my fingers, not the pads.

The lancet that came with my ReliOn Confirm meter is TERRIBLE. Much thicker needle, and HURTS. I don't use it! I adore the meter, but not the lancet!

I change my needle about every 3 months or so.
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:57 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DiggingDogFarm
I have used several different lancets and haven't noticed a difference in comfort, as ravenrose said, the secret is pricking the side of your finger tip.

~Martin
DiggingDogFarm is offline   Reply With Quote