Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Diabetes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/diabetes/)
-   -   Metformin and Lisinopril (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/diabetes/800939-metformin-lisinopril.html)

BecBelle 04-01-2013 10:55 AM

Metformin and Lisinopril

Howdy,
My Mom has been a long time low carber. Today her tests came back positive for diabetes and her hypertension has gotten worse.
My Mom was perscribed Metformin and Lisinopril . Does anybody here take these together?If so what has been your experienece?

ravenrose 04-01-2013 11:58 AM

I take Metformin, and I used to take lisinopril. Other blood pressure meds now, but similar.

they are fine, long tested drugs. tell her not to worry. take them religiously.

with the Metformin in particular, the earlier it starts the better it works long term. so don't slack off.

best of luck to her.

BecBelle 04-01-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenrose (Post 16348423)
I take Metformin, and I used to take lisinopril. Other blood pressure meds now, but similar.

they are fine, long tested drugs. tell her not to worry. take them religiously.

with the Metformin in particular, the earlier it starts the better it works long term. so don't slack off.

best of luck to her.

Thanks!! I'm trying to gather information for her (she has a hard time with computers). Hearing personal experiences helps a lot. The dr she is seeing doesn't set the world on fire but he isn't a quack either. The likelihood of him perscribing 2 things that would interact badly is very low. Pretty much everything I have read so far goes along with what you're saying.

floridagirl6 04-01-2013 02:36 PM

I take those two medicines also. The metformin upsets my stomach - I take it at lunch and after dinner - it doesn't usually make me sick then.

Jakelilydad 04-01-2013 08:59 PM

I take both of them, too, and have had no issues once I got used to the Metformin. That one I ALWAYS take with food, having found out the hard way that it gives me intense stomach cramps if taken without food. Not fun! But after a couple of weeks, no issues if taken with food, so stick with it if you can.

cfine 04-02-2013 06:15 AM

I never did adjust to the metformin. My dad takes both of them with no problems though.

shopgirl 04-06-2013 10:28 AM

I've been on Lisinopril for 8 years with no problems, and Metformin was added when I was diagnosed as Type 2 almost 2 years ago. I take them both with no problems. The Metformin takes a little getting used to, but after a little while the tummy distress eases up. Also, I always take my Lisinopril right before bed. I've read several places that before bed is the best time to take blood pressure meds.

didi 04-07-2013 12:40 PM

I thought nighttime was best, too, but my DH's doc said he needs to take blood pressure lowering meds in the morning before he goes to work. To help with the stress of the day, I guess. I told the doc I thought Dr Oz said to take them at night. She made my DH go back to the AM dosing. Made me feel stupid!:dunno::laugh:

Anyway, I took both pills for a while and ended up dropping the lisinopril after I realized I was slightly nauseous all the time. Stopped the drug and it went away. Dropping carbs, cigarettes and alcohol has lowered my bp to 114/79 at last check with no meds.

Jakelilydad 04-07-2013 08:42 PM

My doc told me to take the lisinopril in the am too. Hmmmmm.

Sunshine 57 04-08-2013 08:59 AM

Yes,I've taken lisin. for several yrs with no probs,also take another bp med.Been on Metformin the past 3 yrs since diagnosed with type 2.I do have probs keeping the metformin down,if I don't take it with first bite as directed.I did lose 40,but regained.I am on Atkins but don't lose.My fbs is way better,was over 200,now 140.LC helped that.

Bobbette78 04-08-2013 10:56 AM

I take both also. I take the lisinopril in the am and the Metformin with my evening meal and have had no problems.

BecBelle 04-08-2013 02:34 PM

My Mom and I want to thank everyone who responded to this thread!!! She has been on these 2 for a week and seems to be doing well. Hearing everyone's response has been a big help!!

heidihoopi 04-08-2013 02:52 PM

Lisinopril gives a lot of people a chronic cough, so watch for that and ask for something else if necessary.

That Girl 04-09-2013 05:56 PM

Extended Metformin is great if she has any problems with an upset/bathroom issues problem.....

Vilya 04-20-2013 05:27 AM

I take extended-release Metformin and a very low dose of lisinopril. I take them together, right before bed, and never any issues. Luckily, I don't experience the common side effect of dry cough that many people do with ACE inhibitors.

Watch for dizziness. When the lisinopril works and your blood pressure gets lower, you can start getting dizzy upon standing if your BP goes TOO low. My doc cut me back to a bare-bones dose because I was lightheaded most of the time.

DiggingDogFarm 04-22-2013 12:52 PM

I've been on Lisinopril for several years and Metformin since October of 2010, both twice a day, no problems.

~Martin