LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 06:01 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: kittycitygirl
Stats: High:215; current 168
WOE: Low Carb: my way;)
Start Date: April 3, 2010
Low blood sugar/hypoglycemia

Please excuse this if there is a thread, but I searched and didn't find one.

Daughter (mid 20s) has been diagnosed with low blood sugar. Doc says not diabetic. (Her brother is.) she's having difficulties with it.

Does anyone here deal with it and/or have any suggestions? I know a lot of info is out there for diabetes, but I see little on this.
kittycitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2013, 09:03 PM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
the problem is sorting out good advice for REAL hypoglycemics from all the nonsense by and about people who imagine they have that trouble but in reality don't.

I think it's a matter of not eating in a way that shoots blood sugar up fast, causing extra insulin to be released and taking the blood sugar too low, right?

this might be about the only time that a diet based on glycemic load actually makes sense. glycemic load takes into account the glycemic index (how fast the carbs in something raise your blood sugar) along with the total amount of carbs. glycemic index alone is not that useful.

did re recommend she get a blood glucose monitor? seems prudent.

the trouble is when you have something like this, you start to imagine it all the time and it makes you feel awful. the monitor is a reality check.

if she does have an uncomfortably low reading (I would guess it would have to be below 65 to be an issue) it does not take much sugar to get it back to normal. just a TINY bit really. say a half dozen raisins. wait, maybe those are mostly fructose, which would not help... anyway, something with maybe 5 grams of sugar in it.

taking more than that starts the roller coaster of up up up and down down down all over again!

good luck.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:10 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
I have bouts of hypoglycemia from the medicine I'm taking along with my insulin resistance, but I'm not truly hypoglycemic... however I have done a lot of reading that suggests that a LC diet is VERY helpful for those who suffer from hypoglycemia.

One of the most common causes of hypoglycemia in those who are not full blown diabetic is consuming too many carbs... especially the simple "junk" carbs that many consume eating the SAD. Those foods spike your blood sugar, and in return your body releases insulin to balance it back out. The problem comes when your body produces too MUCH insulin in response to a particular food you've eaten. I have insulin resistance myself, so I run into this problem a lot... everything I eat at that point is just metabolized into fat it seems, and my blood sugar takes a nose dive.

Eating a LC diet helps because your body isn't having to deal with those crazy blood sugar spikes and crashes all the time. I hear that it can also help to increase some people's insulin sensitivity as well which is always a good thing

I know I've read somewhere that you should avoid caffeine and alcohol as well if you have concerns about hypoglycemia.

As always, the best source of advice will always be your family doctor though. These are just the things I've learned along the way, and what I've learned to avoid myself. Good luck to you and your daughter!
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:49 AM   #4
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
My sister has a long history of hypoglycemia, and for her it was a precursor to Type 2 diabetes. I'm surprised that your doctor didn't mention this, as I've read that it's a common pattern. My sister's doctor tried to get her to eat a low-carb diet to avoid developing diabetes--but she just couldn't stick to it.

In addition to high carbs, not eating frequently enough (skipping a meal) would always bring on an attack.

Based on her experience, I'd suggest that your daughter follow a low-carb WOE and never do any type of fasting--eating regularly will help stabilize her blood sugar.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:38 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
I have had problems with hypoglycemia for years. In my case it just went undiagnosed. Going LC was a miracle for me. Reducing the amount of insulin my body secretes seems to help keep my blood sugar more stable, although I have also had reactions to low fat, high protein foods as well. So I am not sure just reducing carbs is all it will take for me. Like Leo41 said, I find eating 5 small meals a day, with enough daily calories, and always sipping on a beverage with a small amount of fat in it (tea or coffee), seems to work. I have trouble with larger meals, especially when the carbs start getting closer to around 10g. Also I reduced the amount of exercise I was doing to the level more recommended (no more than 30min to 1 hr a day)

The high fat diet seems to be the best diet for me. It seems to be best way to keep it under control using a diet strategy. I did try the low GI food strategies for years, and although it was better, not nearly as affective as the High fat diet.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:18 AM   #6

Thanks for your help. You are right Raven, I've seen too many blame everything on their supposed low blood sugar problems.

As we know, docs don't always give you the full story or the best advise. The LC diet seems logical. As is eating several small meals. Will share all of this Info with her. Thanks again.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:35 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lazy girl
True hypoglycemia is often a precursor to diabetes. A low carb diet could offset the onset of diabetes.
lazy girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:25 PM   #8

Had a talk with DD. she gets it, even though others don't. Hoping her brother's advise sinks in to about giving up the carby milk. Thanks! Hoping to get her into a LC normal.