Old 03-09-2013, 08:02 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SweetMe678
Stats: 354/334/145 ~ June 3
WOE: Atkins/Gluten Free
Start Date: 11/30/2012
Type 1 and Dr. Bernstein

Hello all.
My DH is type 1 diabetes on an insulin pump. I have been low and moderate carber since my mid 20s. He has had T1 for over 30 years and is considered a fragile diabetic. His health complications are starting to increase. He was taught as a teenager that he HAD to have carbohydrates to live. I have tried to convince him otherwise since we met. Last summer we went to a nutritionist together, referred by his GP. I was SO happy when she told him that he did not have to eat carbohydrates unless his BS was low.

I came back to Atkins last fall and since then his bs has stablized, sort of. (I do 99% of the cooking) Enough that his endo has been able to start seeing patterns and together they have been able to start making adjustments to his insulin pump basal rate. He still eats a lot of carbs and uses a lot of insulin (he goes through almost 2 bottles a month). In the last few years his sensitivity has started getting worse. He needs more insulin to control BS. He is completely insensitive to some of the slower acting insulins.

I happened to notice that another poster on lcf has type one. So i did a little research and came across Dr. Bernstein's diet and the fact that the Dr is a type 1 himself in his 70s went a long way to convincing DH that this may work for him. He has a lot of concerns about Ketosis. Cognitively he understands that it is different from ketoacidosis. But there is still that fear there. We are waiting for Dr. Bernstein's latest book from amazon.com.

If anyone type1 or 2 on insulin has been low carb, I would LOVE to hear about your experiences. Especially things like a1c, triglycerides, protein in urine, and how ketosis worked for you.
I will continue to share his experience here as well. After we both get a chance to read the book, we will set a start date, so that he can see his endo within a few days as we are pretty sure his pump will need adjusted. He just asked for blood-work yesterday when he saw Dr. So he will have a good baseline to compare in a couple months.
SweetMe678 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2013, 09:44 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jrw85705
I have type 2 but I have followed Dr. Bernstein's method for the last two years and the improvement has been great. I have been off all of my meds for almost three months now, which I know isn't possible for a type 1, but in my opinion Dr. Bernstein's way of controlling blood glucose numbers is the best way.

It is a highly regimented way and it is pretty black and white. At the beginning I had to test a lot to see how I was reacting to what I was eating. There are no cheats. His reasoning is why would you do something which you know is bad for you. I found it easy because I had a set plan to work from and since one cheat always leads to another I simply don't have any. I follow his 6-12-12 carbs for the three meals a day and have learned what I can have and in what proportion.

I hope you and your husband can benefit from reading his book. Once caveat, there are many many Doctors who take exception to Dr. Bernstein's program so if you do decide to follow it be prepared to run into some opposition along the way.

Let us know how it works for you.
Denis Waitley
Jrw85705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:45 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for replying! DH's group of Doc's are all pretty good people. His endo has said that he doesn't care what DH eats, he cares what is happening with his BS and other tests. the Dr's philosophy is that it's not his responsibility to hold DH's hand, but to be a support person in caring for diabetes.

We both really want to get his health better. There are several meds he could come off of, besides insulin, if his health improves. He also has about 30# he could lose which would help as well
Old 03-10-2013, 08:13 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Alyne
Dr Bernstein

You may want to consider joining a diabetes listserv I have been a part of since my diagnosis of T2. There are others that are T1, LADA and MODY. Very knowledgeable people. Many following Bernstein but not all. I don't know whether I am allowed to post a link to the group. If you want to contact me, alynehealth@yahoo.com, I'd be glad to send you the link.

Alyne
Alyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:34 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 312/310/ a lot less
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: restart again 10/27/2014
If you look at the bottom of his web page there is even a link to his guestion and answer
web cast.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Thanks. I have been spending a little time everyday on his website and then discussing it with DH. We are learning a lot just from the website. The book is due here Friday.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:00 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

So we got the latest a1c back today. From excercise DH has went from 9.7 to 8.2 in three months. His average bs is still about the same though. His pump uploads data to computer and makes nice graphs
His Doc's nurse was very interested in Dr Bernstein's book and asked us to bring it to his next Endo visit although he hasn't started it yet.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:28 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: haferchamp
Start Date: 12/15/12
Great job!.. I go in for my 3 month test in April. I hope to see such good results too. Keep up the good work
haferchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:19 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Check out his website also. He has a monthly web conference for an hour that's Really interesting that you can sign up for, "Ask Dr. Bernstein". The next one is Wednesday March 27th, 2013, at 7PM CST, 8PM EST, 6PM MST , 5PM PST. You can submit questions ahead of time if you want. They send email reminders.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:45 AM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Thanks for the reminder Terry. My DH is finally on board with keeping our daughter's numbers from wildly swinging from highs to lows. This is getting pretty frustrating, but she is only 12 and she has a mind of her own. I feel like we do a lot of this I it will get better, but it is hard. Don't let anyone tell you that having a child with diabetes is easy, because it is hard. I wish it were me instead. Anyhow, I will have DH listen next week.
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:29 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

We missed the webcast. But will probably be checking out the next one. I was initially on information overload after reading the book, and I'm not the one with diabetes! But while DH hasn't officially started, he has been mostly low carb and his blood sugars show it. DH is slowly reading the book, it has been very emotional for him, up to and including nightmares, as he (imo) is coming to terms with some of the emotional aspects that he has ignored all his life. I have noticed he has stopped being so morbid about dying young, and has started talking more about what we will do in 10 20 even 30 years from now

He is also noticing blood sugars as high, earlier. What I mean, usually it takes a bs over 3-350 before he notices symptoms, now anything over 200. yay! He still has problems with rebound lows for about 24 hours after he has a high though. But he hasnt gotten to that part of the book yet, and while I can give him the info as I know it, I am only a support person, not his nanny

All in all, we are both finding it easiest to eat the same foods, I am less tempted to cheat and don't have to cook extras and he is coming to terms with the fact that he can have mayonnaise.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:44 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
You can still listen to the past programs. Just go to the site and down in the middle of the page a little bit is a link to the last one. They're an hour long.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:04 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the tip, his site is very packed and I must have missed them
Old 04-06-2013, 04:13 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Perfectdeb
my husband is type 2 and he's been on Bernsteins program for 2 1/2 years, his last A1c was 6.1

while its wonderful i fully understand his concern, type 1 is a whole different disease, in fact i think type 2 should be renamed to ease the confusion

you could try it with the careful supervision of a sympathetic doctor, (mine is not and thinks its crazy regardless of the results...sigh)
Perfectdeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:35 AM   #15
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectdeb View Post

, type 1 is a whole different disease, in fact i think type 2 should be renamed to ease the confusion
I completely agree Type 1 and 2 are completely different !!!! My daughter no longer has a functioning pancreas therefore needs insulin to live. Without it, she would die. Not so with type 2s. Some type 2s do require it, however most don't even need meds. Very different indeed!
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:37 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Still another month til DH has bloodwork again. But his blood sugars are getting more and more stable. He picked a target bs of 160 to start, as we are both afraid of lows until he gets a good handle on how it works and can adjust his pump accordingly.
He still has moments when he thinks how crazy it is that a 220 feels high to him now. But it is a great thing! He has so much more energy! He is using way less insulin and has even started cutting his basal (the amount the pump gives me hourly) in half when he is working, so he doesn't go low.

He isn't keeping his BS stable yet, per Dr. Bernstein. He is keeping it within the range of 120 to 160 the majority of the time. It is a work in progress, but we ( i cook) are getting there

I am thrilled because this means I only have to keep low carb foods in the house, and no more cooking separate meals and dishes! Or watching him eat things that I love, but can't have
Old 04-12-2013, 11:24 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Great update! Glad things are moving in the right direction for your DH!
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:11 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Time for another update. Dh gets blood work in June again. He's lost 10 pounds and his Doc wants him to start lowering his target BS down to 120. He had an appointment yesterday. Turns out the nurse eats Atkinsish, as she put it. So they are both on board with us eating this way.
On a slightly side note, I've always been impressed with how healthy this nurse looks, her skin and hair practically glow and she is very fit. So hearing that even at a younger (than I am) age, she does atkins for health reasons made me happy!

This next week we are going to do the five day BS profile that Dr. Bernstien suggests and start lowering the target BS
Old 05-04-2013, 09:00 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetMe678 View Post
Time for another update. Dh gets blood work in June again. He's lost 10 pounds and his Doc wants him to start lowering his target BS down to 120. He had an appointment yesterday. Turns out the nurse eats Atkinsish, as she put it. So they are both on board with us eating this way.
On a slightly side note, I've always been impressed with how healthy this nurse looks, her skin and hair practically glow and she is very fit. So hearing that even at a younger (than I am) age, she does atkins for health reasons made me happy!

This next week we are going to do the five day BS profile that Dr. Bernstien suggests and start lowering the target BS
Great update! So glad Dr. Bernstein's plan is working for your DH (and you too!)
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:29 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jrw85705
What a great update. So glad his results are good. Thanks for sharing.
Jrw85705 is offline   Reply With Quote