LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 11:49 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cablegriz
Stats: 218/178/200/140
WOE: LC, Insulin Resistant on Metformin HCL 2000mg
Start Date: April 23, 2010 a restart for my health
test results ugh

As I've said in the past on here, I was in denial of my insulin resistance for the end of fall and through the holidays.....Have been back on track and feeling good....but...

I just got my blood test results back and everything was up....cholesterol...and my micro albumin was 10.3 So I'm researching that and has anyone else had higher protein levels in their urine?
I'm getting conflicting answers on why. It says you can reverse the damage to your kidneys by strict blood sugar and blood pressure control. I get that, but there is conflicting views on low carb causing protein in the urine. SO do I change up my diet? and how do you eat low carb and low protein? I'm so confused. Thought my low carb was pulling me through the type 2. I'm going back on Metformin....this time the Extended release. and I have to restart taking Simvastatin. I feel a little depressed, because I was doing EXCELLENT about 6 months ago, weight was lower, got off cholesterol med, only 1 Blood pressure med.....then I go and screw it up. Now I'm afraid of starting down the road of kidney damage.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2013, 01:00 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Component
Urine Microalbumin Random Your Value 10.3 Standard Range 0.0 - 2.0 Units mg/dL
Creatinine, Random U Your Value 167 mg/dL
Urine Microalbumin/Cre Ratio Your Value 62 Standard Range 0 - 30 ug/mG

Last edited by Cablegriz; 02-25-2013 at 01:01 PM..
Cablegriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JenniferO
I've found that taking a good magnesium supplement and eating foods rich in magnesium really keeps my microalbumin down in the normal range. Diabetics use up a lot of magnesium and excrete a lot of it. A few years ago I read that some experts believe that the loss of magnesium is a cause of damage to the kidneys in diabetics. I use magnesium glycinate so I get the benefits. The more commonly available magnesium is magnesium oxolate, which gives you the same results as milk of magnesia, if you know what I mean.

How high is your cholesterol? Avoiding sugar, especially corn syrup, and starches will help control cholesterol. What is more important than your overall cholesterol level is the ratio of your good cholesterol to your overall number.

There is a lot of controversy over whether cholesterol levels have anything to do with heart disease. There is really no scientific evidence that high cholesterol causes heart disease. You can research this yourself online if you search for "the cholesterol myth."

If cholesterol (your liver makes 75% of your cholesterol, by the way. It is absolutely essential to have cholesterol.) does not cause heart disease, then it is just dangerous to take medication to bring it down. My doctor told me that you can actually get Lipitor for free and I told him that it was still too expensive because statins have been found to be not only unnecessary, but to cause some pretty serious side effects, including cancer and dementia. People with very low cholesterol at are much higher risk for cancer, the research says.

The guidelines for doctors recommends getting the "bad" cholesterol down under 100. Well, unfortunately, eight of the nine doctors on the panel that came up with this recommendation had a financial interest in the sale of cholesterol-lowering drugs.

Further facts from the research: The only benefit found to taking the drugs was to white men who had a history of heart attack. It was not found to be beneficial to women of any age, regardless of how low the cholesterol went, and it had no benefit to either sex over the age of 65.

Although the companies making the drugs boast that research found that statin drugs reduced cholesterol by 34%, if you read the fine print it says that in 100 people taking the drug for 3 -1/2 years, two people had heart attacks compared with a placebo group (they got a dummy drug, not the real thing) in which the rate was 3 out of 100. In other words, the drugs were pretty worthless.

I stay on the low carb diet and eat healthy foods. I have found that's the best thing I can do for my diabetes. Exercise helps increase insulin sensitivity. Another supplement that I've found useful is Alpha Lipoic acid.

I read up on the diabetic drugs, and found that they damage the cells of the pancreas by forcing it to produce more insulin. That wears it out. I, too, had good results at first which gradually got worse. When the doctor wanted to add more drugs I asked to be put on insulin instead so my pancreas would be spared. She agreed and I've been doing much better the last few years. I read Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution cover to cover and got a lot of good information and advice from that. He's a diabetic himself and specializes in it. He has a great website with helpful people who help each other out like this one. Good luck! It's your body, so you get to choose whether to take all those drugs and follow the horrible high carb diet recommended by the ADA.

Last edited by JenniferO; 02-25-2013 at 04:02 PM..
JenniferO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:16 PM   #4

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
don't worry about low carb hurting your kidneys! unless you have SIGNIFICANT kidney disease, protein is not an issue, and low carb isn't even that high protein if you do it right. I have had MAJOR reversal of kidney disease while low carbing for nearly 4 years now. it's not back to normal, but close.

it's true though that every time you go off the wagon and eat high carb for months, you get sicker in these ways. please try to be kind to yourself and don't do that! *hug*
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:31 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Thank you both for the info. I really appreciate you getting back to me. I've been a funk all day about it.

Yes my cholesterol is back up and she wants me to start the simvastatin again. I'm reluctant to start back in that but hopefully when I go back in 4 months my numbers will be down.

I'm feeling really down because I left myself down.

Thanks again!!!
Old 02-26-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferO View Post
I've found that taking a good magnesium supplement and eating foods rich in magnesium really keeps my microalbumin down in the normal range. Diabetics use up a lot of magnesium and excrete a lot of it. A few years ago I read that some experts believe that the loss of magnesium is a cause of damage to the kidneys in diabetics. I use magnesium glycinate so I get the benefits. The more commonly available magnesium is magnesium oxolate, which gives you the same results as milk of magnesia, if you know what I mean.
Thanks for the info, I sent this to DH who has Type 2 diabetes and his recent test was high for microalbumin in urine. He hasn't been taking any magnesium.

OP, I also agree with JenniferO regadring the cholesterol loweing drugs. Just becuase your doctor tells you to take them doesn't mean you should.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Just restarted the MetFormin last night. She gave me the extended release this time which is great so far. My sugar before lunch was 70. She told me the ranges have been lowered and 60 - 100 is where you should be. I'm not used to having it this low but she said its fine.
Going to start the magnesium tonight.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:30 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
When my protein level was up, they told me it had nothing to do with the protein that I was eating.....so no need to watch what kinds of meats, cheeses, etc I was eating. The nurse told me to drinks lots of water and stay on my diet....I did and never had a problem again....hope you feel better soon....
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:28 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigsaw
Stats: 252/191.5/180(mini goal) sz 24/18/?
WOE: Metabolism/Diabetes Miracle-step2
Start Date: 12/26/2012
My doctor wants me to go back on a statin. I told her I won't. I even called the pharmacy and told them to put a note in my file that I will never take a statin, don't bother filling it, I won't be picking it up. ever... good luck!
Jigsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:52 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsaw View Post
My doctor wants me to go back on a statin. I told her I won't. I even called the pharmacy and told them to put a note in my file that I will never take a statin, don't bother filling it, I won't be picking it up. ever... good luck!
WTG! My DH also refused to have a statin script filled recently. Just say no!
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote