Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Diabetes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 09:37 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sting
Ketosis and Ketoacidosis explained please?

So i have started doing a Ketogenic Diet or LCHF they seem the same keeping carbs pretty low like 15 or less and today after testing a ketosis strip it showed i was in ketosis now when i read online about ketosis it mentions Ketoacidosis i read some articles mention Type 2 which i am, and being in ketosis and Ketoacidosis just wondering if someone can explain a bit about this as i'm not sure now about ketosis and Ketoacidosis with diabetics?

Also i'm confused about BS as some mention Ketoacidosis when the BS is to low while other say to high?

Thanks
Sting is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2013, 05:57 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sting
Anyone?
Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:22 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: aristo1963
Stats: 305/218/200
WOE: Low carb ketogenic
Start Date: December 2011
As type 2's ketosis will help bring your blood sugar into check.An insulin shot dependant type 1 will go into ketoacidosis which is different and life threatening for them.
aristo1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:02 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigsaw
Stats: 252/191.5/180(mini goal) sz 24/18/?
WOE: Metabolism/Diabetes Miracle-step2
Start Date: 12/26/2012
What is the Difference Between Ketosis and Ketoacidosis? - mobile wiseGEEK

Found this... hopefully it helps.
It appears that ketoacidosis occurs when your insulin drops extremely low, most likely in a type 1, both lead to fat burning, but ketoacidosis is extreme and dangerous. Ketosis is a "normal metabolic function"...
Jigsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:30 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: javadandy
Stats: 192/147/124
WOE: Low carb w/ an occational Latte.
Start Date: August 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting View Post
So i have started doing a Ketogenic Diet or LCHF they seem the same keeping carbs pretty low like 15 or less and today after testing a ketosis strip it showed i was in ketosis now when i read online about ketosis it mentions Ketoacidosis i read some articles mention Type 2 which i am, and being in ketosis and Ketoacidosis just wondering if someone can explain a bit about this as i'm not sure now about ketosis and Ketoacidosis with diabetics?

Also i'm confused about BS as some mention Ketoacidosis when the BS is to low while other say to high?

Thanks
Is seems that ketosis is the burning of fat process and ketoacidosis is this process without insulin, which causes a runaway effect. Type 1 diabetics are at risk of ketoacidosis.

Some more links I hope you find helpful...

Ketosis vs. Ketoacidosis

Ketosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have had many people get them confused. Fat burning can result in ketosis on some minor level, as the body breaks down the fat.

Another great read is "The Ketogenic Diet" by Lyle McDonald. Very, very detailed and informative. I had a friend in high school who had epilepsy. She was thin, very thin as she ate a very strong high fat, low protein ketogenic diet to control her seizures. Probably not the best today, but this was in the 80s, and she was smart as a whip, accomplished, and thin. She never suffered a seizure in school and never strayed from her diet.

I hope this is helpful!!
javadandy is offline   Reply With Quote