Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Diabetes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lazy girl
weight loss and injected insulin

After 3 years of deteriorating glucose control I finally convinced my endo to prescribe insulin. And the results are pleasing.

My diet pretty much stays low carb, but I'm curious if I'll be able to lose any weight now that insulin is involved in my BG control.

Does anyone here have experience losing weight while using injected insulin?
lazy girl is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2013, 03:42 PM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
sure. I was injecting loads of it for my entire 130 lb loss!

the insulin you inject is worse for weight loss than the insulin produced by your pancreas. almost all "oral agents" besides Metformin force your pancreas to produce extra insulin, so the blood levels are the same.

some people need injectible insulin because they don't produce enough, some because their insulin resistance is high.

are you taking Metformin too? probably should be.

don't worry about the insulin, you can do fine with it. the whole type II/insulin resistance makes it harder for you, but injecting insulin per se is not a real issue.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:16 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Wow! I've gained about 16 pounds in 8 weeks of using Lantus. My diet is low carb and BG is well under control, but I'm thinking I'll have to go back to a low, induction level of carbs and that's so hard for me. The Lantus is also causing edema-not a good thing. Does anyone know if Levemir is less prone to causing weight gain?
Old 02-06-2013, 08:57 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
I'm not 100% sure, but I do believe that Dr. Berstein or Jennie Ruhl (can't remember which one) recommends Levemir over Lantus but I'm not sure what the reasoning was behind it.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:01 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: GirlKickinIt
Stats: I can't get no...satisfaction!!
WOE: Atkins-Bernstien-High FAT
Start Date: 9/20/2001
Hi Lazy Girl!!

YES, Lantus in known for packin' the pounds on, more so than Levimir. I switched because of that very reason.
I gained 20 pounds within 10 days of starting Lantus and Novalog!! AND since then...an additional 80 pounds!! I also stick to a strict low carb diet. I tried dropping the insulin...because of the weight gain...and lost 14 pounds...within just 4 days. BUT, almost killed myself doing it. The moment I began taking the insulin again...I gained those 14 pounds back...and I keep on gaining...steadily. It's awful!!

I hope you find what works right for you!!
Old 02-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlKickinIt View Post
Hi Lazy Girl!!

YES, Lantus in known for packin' the pounds on, more so than Levimir. I switched because of that very reason.
I gained 20 pounds within 10 days of starting Lantus and Novalog!! AND since then...an additional 80 pounds!! I also stick to a strict low carb diet. I tried dropping the insulin...because of the weight gain...and lost 14 pounds...within just 4 days. BUT, almost killed myself doing it. The moment I began taking the insulin again...I gained those 14 pounds back...and I keep on gaining...steadily. It's awful!!

I'm so glad to see that someone knows what I mean. I've been advised by others to just drop the insulin, but that can be very dangerous for a well-seasoned diabetic. The fat is much less an enemy than is high BG. And even Dr. Bernstein said that anyone whose sugar remained high with a low carb diet needed to use insulin. I have an appointment with my doctor for tomorrow to see about switching to Levemir. However, my DH's weight has increased a lot with that insulin.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:17 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh Lazy Girl, I soooooo feel for you & your Husband. I'm right there with you on it.
Something I'll throw out to ya, that I tried. However it didn't work for me. There's a drug called Symlin that a person would use in conjunction with their insulin. The idea is that you'd cut your insulin level in half & the Symlin that you would also be taking would work together to keep your blood sugars lowered...and in taking less insulin, you'd reduce your chance of gaining weight. Like I said...it didn't work for me. I was sooooo hoping it would!! My insurance wouldn't pay for it, because it's not considered a "formulatory drug" yet...so that was costing an additional $70 a month!! It's an additional shot, as often as you dose with your regular insulin. And, that shot/drug, really stings horribly!! Those are the cons, that I experienced. I would have been willing to continue to deal with all of them, had it helped me reduce the insulin usage...so as not to continue to gain.
I'm still gaining!! When I started on the insulin I weighed 134....and today...214. My diet is kept super low carb too.

I hope some day that the genious scientist folk figure something out for us...or we just get raptured already!!

Keep at it!! You're doing the right thing.
GirlKickinIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:29 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Lazy Girl, I wanted to mention another thing.

Diabulemia is what it's referred to when an insulin dependent person reduces or with-holds the correct or full insulin dose from themselves...in order to prevent the weight gain associated with the intake of the insulin.

I fight doing that all the time. The couple of times that I've quit taking the insulin all together...I've nearly died...going into Diabetic Keto Acidosis. It's a HORRIBLE-HORRIBLE nightmare. The body really starts turning on itself in awful ways.

More often than not, I take a smidge less insulin than I should. That's not a good idea.

It's SUPER important for a diabetic to remain hydrated!! If you find yourself running high numbers & especially thirsty....know that your body is already is big trouble. The answer is insulin...and replenish your system with electrolytes. Get your #'s back in check as quick as you can.

Are you & your Husband Low carbing?
Old 02-12-2013, 07:10 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

saw doc today

I can't find any doctors in this city who advocate a low carbohydrate diet, but my doctor admitted that he was quite pleased with my lipid profile and my BG levels. I really like the Lantus except for the weight gain. There is no more dawn phenomenon which is comforting. So, instead of trying Levemir for now, I'm going to take 5 mg less of Lantus and use Novalog on a corrective level.

He said that there is evidence that 30 minutes of daily exercise will not only speed metabolism (we've heard that forever), but that it actually lowers insulin resistance after about 20-25 minutes. If that truly helps then, the amount of injected insulin could be decreased. I work in an elementary school and see teachers walking quite often. It's possible to just let myself in early at 6:15 and walk for 30 minutes (my kids start at 7:00). Maybe this will be a part of the puzzle.

Thank you for talking to me about this issue.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:55 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

YES!! Your plan sounds terrific!! I really believe that you'd see good results with the increased exercise!! Aside from staying low carb...exercise is the ONLY thing I have left that I can tweak, in order to see a difference in the blood sugars, and it DOES indeed make a big difference. I find that the more cardio I manage to pump out...the lower the #'s. Sometimes even significantly enough to not have to dose up. That's exactly what we've gotta go for...more often than not...in order to keep the insulin need to as little as possible. I've also found that bike riding is excellent for this purpose. My guess is because the large muscles in the upper legs are really having to pump to move the bike/body, and it's just burnin' up those excess sugars. Be aware, if you're really puttin' in some good effort like that, to have your monitor available to take a reading on your bs if you -feel- like you need to.
I'm really excited for you to see some Great results with your school yard walks!!
Also, I'm really curious to see what you find your results to be on decreasing your Lantus, and increasing your Novolog, when needed. That would be Super Awesome if that turned out to be the right switch up for you!!
Old 02-24-2013, 04:31 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BABSY
Quote:
Hi Lazy Girl!!

So are you taking levemir and it is not helping? I just switched from lantus to levemir to see if I can lose weight.
BABSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:35 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Babsy!!

Yes, I'm taking Levimir both at night before bed and again in the morning...so as to try to reduce the amount of Novolog I have to take throughout the day, with the meals. Trying to keep things as even/steady as I can. So I'm taking 25 units of Levimir at am & pm....and continuing to gain. I didn't notice a slow up of the weight gain at all, when switching from Lantus to Levimir. That's sooooo discouraging too, as I'd seen so much info. that looked to be pointing the finger at the Lantus, for the weight gain.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:06 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Hi Babsy!!

Yes, I'm taking Levimir both at night before bed and again in the morning...so as to try to reduce the amount of Novolog I have to take throughout the day, with the meals. Trying to keep things as even/steady as I can. So I'm taking 25 units of Levimir at am & pm....and continuing to gain. I didn't notice a slow up of the weight gain at all, when switching from Lantus to Levimir. That's sooooo discouraging too, as I'd seen so much info. that looked to be pointing the finger at the Lantus, for the weight gain.
How many carbs do you eat at a meal? I am taking 35 units just once in the morning and I have stopped taking the Humalog.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:20 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Babsy!! I'm just seeing your note right now...and I'm cracking up after reading that you aren't taking the Humalog right now. Great minds think alike!! I JUST stopped taking my fast acting Novalog a couple days ago...and bumped up the Levimir...so as to cover me for the day & night.
So at about 7pm I'm taking somewhere between say 27-40 units of Levimir...and at 7am I'm taking more like 40-50 units...beings there will be meals occuring. My BS is remaining pretty steady throughout the day...because of course I stay low carb. I'd say at breakfast I take in probably 10 or so carbs. Lunch would probably be 20. Occasionally I'll snack at some point & all together with that, I may add another 10.
I've LOST 4 pounds in two days, since knocking the Novalog out. AND, my BS's are riding at a steadier & lower range, constantly.
WINNING!!
What are your results so far??! I hope this works out!!
Thank you for sharing your experience!!
Old 03-05-2013, 08:26 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I should add...my BS's are not yet in the *ideal* range...but better than they had been. So prior to this experiment, they were riding between say 250-300. They're now more like 135-200. So clearly I have more tweaking to do...but I'm only 2'ish days into this. Lord willing, I'll get it there!! I hope you're also finding success with this!!
Old 03-06-2013, 03:40 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have also lost a few pounds so far.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:05 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey there...just a quick little update!!
I'm about 9 days in to taking Levimir ONLY. The night time dose is 30-40 units. Daytime dose is usually right around 50 units. I'm still not taking ANY Novolog, at all. In the 9'sih days...I've lost 4.5 lb.'s. I haven't made any changes to my diet or exercise during this time. So, I attribute all of the loss to having removed the Novolog. My blood sugars are more steady and lower than ever before, using this approach.

How are y'all doing??
Old 08-29-2013, 04:51 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Hey there...just a quick little update!!
I'm about 9 days in to taking Levimir ONLY. The night time dose is 30-40 units. Daytime dose is usually right around 50 units. I'm still not taking ANY Novolog, at all. In the 9'sih days...I've lost 4.5 lb.'s. I haven't made any changes to my diet or exercise during this time. So, I attribute all of the loss to having removed the Novolog. My blood sugars are more steady and lower than ever before, using this approach.

How are y'all doing??
How are you doing with the no novolog?
Old 09-02-2013, 02:36 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Other than the initial couple pounds weight gain when I first started taking insuling (because I was no longer spilling sugar in my urine), I balanced out and then lost my weight while on Lantus...until the point where I didn't have to take it at all.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote